Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glastonbury 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

MadYaker wrote: »
    I think it's a nice idea. I don't think they'll ever do it though.

Anyway, I'm off to see their Sunday headliner tonite in the warmth of the 3Arena :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

robinph wrote: »
    efests himself didn't get anything and he's been going for, well pretty much forever I believe.
    Neither did guys/gals behind GlastoWatch or TheThingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I disagree. There should be a portion of "loyalty" tickets available to persons who have been registered for upwards of five years and log in/renew their registration details every year but who have never been.
    That's just not feasible. You would need to enforce a system of one account per person which is too difficult. Otherwise I could create 10 accounts and 5 years down the line I'll always have one which is due a loyalty ticket.

The current system is quiet fair. The
    best way to get tickets is to find yourself a large group of people to maximise the chances of getting through. I didn't try because I've too much sh*t going on next year but the group managed to get about 40 tickets. 8 people missed out, 2 for giving the wrong post code (which I've stupidly done in the past)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Email received! Aaaaaaand breathe

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

That was so bloody stressful!!

This was our first time trying. Managed to bag tickets but not til after a panic because one of my group (there were 3 groups in our attempt) was in another totally separate group that we didn't know about and they'd managed to get through.

Thought I had her number wrong and was so worried it was going to crash. I should have added a 6th from one of our other groups but panicked and just plowed through hoping it wouldn't time out. Feeling so guilty though. Hopefully get them sorted in the resale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It would be crappy if anyone who's been going forever were excluded, and only newbies went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

It would be crappy if anyone who's been going forever were excluded, and only newbies went.

Why?

Why?
    Because loyalty should also be rewarded and certainly not punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Because loyalty should also be rewarded and certainly not punished.

Nobody is being punished, it really is just luck of the draw.

So how do you define loyalty? Should someone who has been once get the same treatment as someone who has been 7 times? Or maybe a scale down based on the number of years you've been? Prove you been x years and you get bumped up the list?

You're now creating an almost caste or trickle down system of festival goers.

It's too wide to define and absolutely impossible to include everyone and keep everyone happy. The demand is just too high.

I'm not suggesting they should change anything. I think the current system is a fair as you are going to get. Imagine if they took away the photo on the ticket? Glastonbury should be commended for how they currently operate.

• Advertisement

Again, that comment was in reference to a proposed system that gives preference to those who have not been before over loyal attendees and not the opposite.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Again, that comment was in reference to a proposed system that gives preference to those who have not been before over loyal attendees and not the opposite.

It's not a question of "giving preference" but they must have thousands of long standing registrations from people who keep trying to get there but never do. Holding back say 30,000 tickets on a once off sale and only for sale to long registrations who have never purchased would be very fair and workable. A lot of people who finally make the trek would go only once thus freeing up the system for the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

I do think some system should be brought in where those who have been many times should temporarily step aside for those who haven't been but who have remained registered with the site.

Put it this way, and just making up an example, if someone was say registered with EP but never got tickets I wouldn't have a problem with a portion of tickets being made available specifically for that group of users at my expense having been four times myself. Where demand overwhelmingly exceeds supply it's only fair.

I'd be shocked if there is many people who have properly tried multiple years and never got a ticket.
    Between coach sales, the main sale, April resale and the various unannounced resales in May, people who really want a ticket and put in the effort usually get sorted. You'd need to be very unlucky to go through all of that and repeatedly not get a ticket.

^ this

Can't imagine there's that many people who have put that necessary level of effort in and not managed to get a ticket over a 3-5 year period.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nobody out of my group of 30 got tickets, I'm still expecting to get mine at the moment though.

Could do without it being screamed from the rooftops of mainstream media though when ticket days are, that would limit numbers to the more dedicated who go to the bother of finding these things out for themselves.

Oh for back in the day when we picked up tickets from a local record shop the week before the festival for 50 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Basq wrote: »
    efests himself didn't get anything and he's been going for, well pretty much forever I believe.
    Neither did guys/gals behind GlastoWatch or TheThingy.
    Thingy got sorted cos he's part of our group. We got all our tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

I got nothing and have been going for 20+ years.

Annoyed that I didn't get anything, but it really is about as fair a system as you can get. Yes some people won't have internet, but other than that it is basically the same chances for everyone. I thought we were going to be lucky this year as there were people in our groups trying from non UK/Ireland IP's which has worked well for me before, but still not even a sniff.

I don’t think it’s as fair a system as you can get when some people are able to buy over 20 tickets . Should be capped at 4 , 6 is even too many

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

A lot of people who finally make the trek would go only once thus freeing up the system for the following year.

I'm assuming you've never been? Going just the once isn't really an option for most people.

Twice in last 7 for me but not this time - I guess that's about average?

Anyone know how many total registrations there are?

Chelon wrote: »
    Anyone know how many total registrations there are?
    135K in general resale, and 15K in coach as far as I know.
    I don’t think it’s as fair a system as you can get when some people are able to buy over 20 tickets . Should be capped at 4 , 6 is even too many
    I think 6 is fair enough IMO - although I do think potentially once you get tickets, you shouldn't be able to try again in the same sale.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    135K in general resale, and 15K in coach as far as I know.

No I meant total registrations, ie people trying to buy at once?

Chelon wrote: »
    No I meant total registrations, ie people trying to buy at once?
    Oh God.. over a million..

SeeTickets released stats for the last one and I think it was over a million anyways. I'll try and dig it out.

I think on efests they were saying that odds are around 1 in 10? 135k tickets and over a million trying to get them. The system rewards those who are persistent and obsessive. Between the coach ticket resale, the general resale and the secret resales if you really really want to go and get a bunch of people trying in all the sales you'd want to be very unlucky to not get a ticket. And even if you don't get a ticket there are plenty of other ways to get there. Oxfam and loads of other charities recruit 1000s of volunteers and then there's litter picking etc. Depends on how much you want it. My plan if unsuccessful this weekend was to volunteer with oxfam, I wasn't going to bother with the resales.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

I think on efests they were saying that odds are around 1 in 10? 135k tickets and over a million trying to get them. The system rewards those who are persistent and obsessive. Between the coach ticket resale, the general resale and the secret resales if you really really want to go and get a bunch of people trying in all the sales you'd want to be very unlucky to not get a ticket. And even if you don't get a ticket there are plenty of other ways to get there. Oxfam and loads of other charities recruit 1000s of volunteers and then there's litter picking etc. Depends on how much you want it. My plan if unsuccessful this weekend was to volunteer with oxfam, I wasn't going to bother with the resales.

Is the coach ticket resale in April too do ya know ?
    Cheers

Yeah they should be around the same time. Similar to the main sales.

It is majorly oversubscribed of course, but I'm not sure I belive that 1 million number were actually trying for tickets. I'd have counted as 4 people trying this morning via completely different network connections. And also it would mean that over 10% of the UK population is all trying and that is clearly nonsense.

Yeah that could be a bit off the mark, I've no idea really.

All I kept getting via various devices (all with different service accounts and IP addresses) was server unavailable. It didn't even get to the holding page.

Why can their servers not cope with the traffic, even if it means all tickets gone legitimately and fairly by 9.01?

I feel very cheated after the coach day last Thursday - I got to the holding page no problem and tickets available from various locations but when I selected I got a message "The coach tickets selected must match the number of registrations" even though I'm only registered singly and was only selecting one return trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

I feel very cheated after the coach day last Thursday - I got to the holding page no problem and tickets available from various locations but when I selected I got a message "The coach tickets selected must match the number of registrations" even though I'm only registered singly and was only selecting one return trip.

That happened to us too on Thursday.
    Seemed to happen to a good few judging by some of the tweets I saw.

• Advertisement

Advertisement