Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 12 Week Blow Dry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

I just heard about this today and WOW if it works, I am definitely getting it. I've every type of hair texture going, frizzy, curly, straight, fuzz...so getting it to dry in any way is a nightmare!!

My hair does grow quite fast though so I wonder would it last the full 12 weeks...like would the roots start going a bit funky?

Edit:
    Hmm just read this...

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/beauty/article4662958.ece
    I’m not afraid to admit I’m as susceptible to beauty mistakes as the next person — or that there have been some pretty comical ones. At school, for example, a DIY home hair-mask recipe caused me inadvertantly to scramble an egg on my head (I didn’t get the importance of rinsing with lukewarm water).

A couple of vigorous washes was all it took to correct, but had I had to live for weeks instead of hours with the sulphurous smell it left behind, I would really have rued the day I experimented with my beauty routine. And that is where more durable treatments can fall down. Regular readers may remember me writing about the Daniel Hersheson permanent blow-dry treatment a couple of months back. At the time, the thought of being able to wash and (immediately) wear my usually wavy/frizzy hair without having to smooth out various sections with the hairdryer convinced me to give it a whirl. For the first couple of weeks I was glad I had. I could merrily skip out of the shower, dress and move straight onto make-up without any tiresome blow-drying. My hair didn’t exactly look blow-dried in that swingy way it should, but it was definitely less unruly.

I feel it only right, however, to give an update now that it has had a chance to settle. The fact is that, while the treatment contains conditioning clays, there’s no denying the fact that it is a chemical process and, hence, not especially good for the hair. The frizz is still somewhat tamed, but my hair is now also permanently lank and unable to last more than a day without feeling coated in a tacky residue. I’m not alone in my disappointment. A colleague tried it and found that the only effect it had on her hair was to exacerbate her frizz, and some hairdressers I have consulted have seen clients who have tried the procedure and been similarly disappointed.

On the plus side, I’ve discovered some great reconditioning products — a dose of Kérastase Forcintense (£24; 0800 316 4400) after each wash and Real Base Conditioning Haircare Mist (£17; realhair.co.uk) really help infuse moisture back in. And, as with a bad cut, it is only a matter of time before it grows out. Plus, the human guinea pig aspect of this job does require me to take the rough with the smooth — so hopefully you don’t have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lorsmith

@lubie76 It was LASHING rain on Saturday when I came out of the salon - I look like a freak holding the unbrella ON my head :) Total ngithmare but don't think it did too much damage. It's not like the chemical treatments where the water reacts with the chemical and burns your hair off - I think the concern with getting it wet is that the hair won't be able to soak up as much of the product. You also can't put it behind your ears while you have the product in :( It doesn't look that bad though. I had to come to work with it in - and before I was worried that I'd have loads of goo dripping from my hair - but it looks fine - I did a quick go over it with the hairdryer before work (the stylest said that would be fine) and it was fine.

@Yenwod I also had the concern about re-growth but apparently that's not an issue. The product spreads itself the lenght of the hair - even when it grows. It just washes out gradually - apparently. You are adviced to use a low sodium shampoo though to help keep the product from washing out too quickly - so that's extra cost.

The product apparently has zero chemicals in it - totally natural made up of mainly Keratin.
    As I said - it doesn't straighten. The girl beside me in the salon had a huge head of curls - and she was being told that the shape of her curl would not be effected - they'd just be much sleaker. And the biggest advantage for me - you can get caught out in the rain (like this morning) and your hair doesn't turn into a total fuzz ball :) I'm finding new advantages every day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

taram wrote: »
    Why's it called the 12 week blow dry when it's for keeping your hair straight?? Or am I missing something :D I have naturally insanely straight hair, but blow dry mine to give it volume, could it do that for me??

Oh the blissful innocence that can only come from one who has naturally straight hair...

for us frizzy babes, a blow dry is not solely to dry wet hair but to painstakingly coax it into some semblance of tameness, followed by hair straighteners to achieve the look that you, you lucky thing, fall out of bed with (seethes with jealousy :cool:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

BTW it seems a lot of us here have the same problem with unruly hair. Not only is it bad for your hair to blow dry it everyday but it's also time consuming. I would love to leave my hair dry naturally but it just looks crazy when I do. I don't mind the waves / curls but the frizz is very unsightly.

The above article mentions 'Kérastase Forcintense (£24; 0800 316 4400) after each wash and Real Base Conditioning Haircare Mist (£17; realhair.co.uk)'.

Has anyone tried either of these or know of any leave in or deep conditioning products that ACTUALLY WORK in reducing frizz? I'd be prepared to spend a bit of money on them if I thought they would actually give me frizz free hair.

I've tried Frizz Ease and found it really hard to get the right amount on the hair, too much and it just looked oily, too little and it had no effect! Also have tried various leave in conditioners and while the hair felt soft it still looked very fluffy :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Anyone know if this is available in Ireland?

http://www.hairstraighteners.me.uk/three-month-blow-dry.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

sounds great..i wonder if it lasts...sorry i dont know where to find one of them.. goggle.ie it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055562663

there was another thread on this already. lots of replies on it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

As promised, I'm reporting back on my experience of the keratin straightening system which I got done at the weekend. I decided to get it done because I have thick coarse bobbed hair that takes ages to dry, straighten etc. It isn't curly though just more frizzy and lots of it.

The first thing the hairdresser told me was that there is no chemicals in the treatment just protein and also I would still need to blowdry my hair but just not section it bit by bit. Hair looked good after treatment which took a good two hours but no different than a great blowdry by any good hairdresser. It cost 140 pounds sterling which sounds cheaper than Dublin but would have been more expensive had it been longer. Also had to buy keratin shampoo and conditioner as seemingly the ph of normal shampoos conditioners is too harsh and would strip the treatment. Couldn't tie it up, get it wet, wear a hat etc for 3 days as it would kink the hair.

Couldn't wait to wash it myself to see how it turned out and decided to give it a very quick rough blowdry just to test how good it would look. Turned out looking like I had spent ages drying it. Not quite as good as a salon blowdry but definitely better than one I could do myself if I spent a good bit of time on it. Didn't straighten with a GHD either just to see how it would look the next day when it had relaxed a bit and am very happy with it. Very straight and silky. Obviously not poker straight as I didn't put any effort into it but reckon with a GHD it would be. Would only use a GHD if I was going out now whereas I would have needed one every time I washed it before.

Overall very happy with treatment and the thought of not having to spend all that time on my hair for the next 3 months fills me with joy. Have plenty of weddings and hen parties over the Summer for which I normally get a blowdry anyway for so I reckon I would have it paid back easy by September.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stylist

Has anyone had this done/know of someone who's had it done. I heard Mairead Farrell talking about it on the Ray D'arcy show this morning, she'd been in for the initial treatment yesterday. Basically it's a completely natural, super conditioning treatment that means you don't have to spend ages blowdrying and straightening your hair. No need for 15 brushes and heated rollers. Just a quick blast and you look like you've just stepped out of the hairdressers. AND it lasts for 12 weeks.

To be honest, it sounds too good to be true. It also costs between €200 and €300. The only place in Ireland you can get it done is Dylan Bradshaws.

I'd be very, very tempted but would love to hear someone else's experience first.

There's more info on the dylan bradshaw website.
    hi there, i'm having the treatment done very soon. it's a completely natural product called kerotin which is the base of all our skin, hair and nails. people seem to think it's only for straight hair but i've been told it'll just make your hair easier to manage, straight or wavy. i'm having it done in toni and guy in blackrock and it only costs 150euros for shortish hair. you can read how i get on stylebible.ie as will be writing article about my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

hi all
    i got the 12 wk blow dry done about 4 weeks ago in dublin, dylan bradshaw, really thrilled with it. like a lot of the previous posters, i have mad curly hair. uncontrollable. straightens well in a hair salon, but then im running in between wet, drizzle, humidity etc. hat in bag 24/7.
    NOW i can manage my hair, curl is softer so i can go curly and not look like shirley temple on steroids. i can even blow dry the fringe myself without it going totally frizzy.
    i will definitely be returning when it needs to be redone.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Tupins wrote: »
    BTW it seems a lot of us here have the same problem with unruly hair. Not only is it bad for your hair to blow dry it everyday but it's also time consuming. I would love to leave my hair dry naturally but it just looks crazy when I do. I don't mind the waves / curls but the frizz is very unsightly.

Hiya

Why are you blow drying your hair every day? I have long frizz-prone wavy hair but tend to wash and tie in a knot or plait for work. I used to blow dry it the whole time, but it really damages and weakens your hair.

These days, I leave it be for weekdays, and only take out the ghd generally once a week, if even that. I've been trying to find ways of letting it be more natural. If your hair is long, maybe try styling with hair clips, frizz-ease and so on.

It's just such a hassle to go on holiday and have to give your hair so much time. Especially with a very impatient other half in tow!!;)

By the way, I had beautifully straight hair until I hit 23 or so! My sister is the exact same. Strange how the temperment of hair can change!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

By the way, I had beautifully straight hair until I hit 23 or so! My sister is the exact same. Strange how the temperment of hair can change!

And the fashions. When I was in my teens straight hair was the dullest thing imaginable, everybody wanted waves or curls. It will be back to this in 2 years I guess when everybody goes through 3 ghds and swears not to buy any more.

2007-2009 is all straightened hair and smokey eye clones. What's next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 caitlin42

I had the 12 week blowdry done at Dylan Bradshaw last Friday and am so far happy with the results.
    The process took about 2 hours and was a pleasant experience, I was given plenty of information on what the process involves and what it does not do, i.e. it is a non damaging conditioning treatment that washes out after about 12 weeks and is not a straigtening process.
    On leaving the salon my hair felt heavy and greasy but apart from being a bit flat and lifeless it looked ok. I was informed this was to be expected and that when I washed it the normal bounce would return.
    I was advised to leave the product in until Tuesday if possible and not to tie it back or put behind ears etc, however by Monday morning my hair was so greasy I felt I couldn't possibly go to work like that and I washed it out.
    The result was shiney maneagable hair which literally only took a couple of minutes to blowdy straight. It is flater than I would like but so much better than the frizzy unmanagable hair I am accoustomed to.
    All in all I am happy with the results so far and worth the quite considerable price tag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Shello-Jello

Hi

I got the 12 week blowdry natural straigntening treatment done on my hair in a new salon in Mayo last weekend. I absolutely love the results! :) My hair feels so soft and healthy and has never looked in better shape. My hair is natually very thick and can be so unruley but since I've had the treatment done, it has been poker straight. It's being so easy to dry too.

Not only is it easy on my hair, but also on my pocket! :D My treatment was only 120 euro and I have ALOT of hair! Definitely alot cheaper than those expensive prices in Dublin. :eek: I would highly recommend it to everyone. The salon is called The Styling Room and is based in Shrule, Co Mayo. The staff are lovely and very professional. I'll definitely be returning for my next treatment.

If anyone needs the number, just PM me. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

just wondering... those who got the treatment, how was the 3 days of not washing or tying your hair back???
    that puts me off it a bit! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

taking the plunge booked mine cant wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jackira

Just to let some of you know this product is not always chemical free. make sure you ask if the salon is using the formaldehyde free version. They are also available in 2% and 4%.

The formaldehyde free only works up to 80% on most clients. The 2% will work up to 95%, the 4% is only really used on afro hair.

The salon should have the shampoo and condition for you to use. They recommend that you use ones that are Sodium chloride and Sodium Laureth free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks Shello... is ur hair very long? Does the price depend on the lenght of the hair? Barrys on shop st in galway do it now as well but dont know the price...they charge €50 to cut your hair so can imagine it would be as cheap as Mayo.

might be getting it done in shrule!!

TillyGirl, My hair would be medium to long in length. How long would yours be? You should definitely get it done in the salon in Shrule, I was very happy with my results :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info Shello! mine is below my shoulders. rang and made appointment for 28th August so fingers crossed! I forgot to ask her, she said its a bit different to what is done in the salon in Dublin, is it chemical free do you know? god I hope it works!:rolleyes:

Yes, its chemical free as far as I know. It's a natural treatment. I was concerned about that too, last thing I wanna do is wreck my hair!! Fingers crossed it works well for you. You'll have to let me know how you get on! :D

Yes, its chemical free as far as I know. It's a natural treatment. I was concerned about that too, last thing I wanna do is wreck my hair!! Fingers crossed it works well for you. You'll have to let me know how you get on! :D

I will do, hope it works, my hair is practically an afro!! Is it the same as what others are saying, no washing or touching for 3 days? thats why I booked it for that weekend I have the Monday off work anyway, dont fancy going to work with hair not washed for 3 days!

Thanks again :p

Yep...no washing our putting up your hair for 3 days. I thought this would be hell but it actually wasn't as bad as I thought! The three days flew by but doing it at the weekend is definitely the best option!

No problem, dying to know how it works for ya :)

Cool thanks, I will report back! Fingers crossed!:p

Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone knows if chlorine can damage or reverse the treatment? I am joining a gym this evening and plan on going swimming 3 times a week....anyone know??!!

dont wanna fork out that much and for it to be ruined! Will ring the salon later but just wondering if anyone knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jackira

No it wont damage or reverse the treatment, but it's advised you should wait at least a week after you have it done before you go swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

available in cork now. ikon in drawbridge st. same price as dublin i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mulmulcahy

dave egans in broadale in cork does permanent straightening and has been for ages. got it done myself a yr ago and really noticed the difference. the thing is the frizzier your hair, the more noticeable the result. im not sure exactly how much it cost i think aroun 120 for the treatment and a cut so way cheaper than the prices mentioned previously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 lucyluo

Can get it done in Barrys in Galway now too, dont know about price do!! Shrule sounds good for only 120e!!

With all that conditioning did anybody find it makes hair lank??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement