Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where are we off to tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

For what beef dunnes retail they’d be as well by the fireside. Tesco is where they should have stayed for a week. Running half price promotion this week on Irish beef in the uk. Half their own price of course but we are dragging uk farmers into the gutter with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jjameson wrote: »
    For what beef dunnes retail they’d be as well by the fireside. Tesco is where they should have stayed for a week. Running half price promotion this week on Irish beef in the uk. Half their own price of course but we are dragging uk farmers into the gutter with us.

Private companies won't be bullied.
    TBH IFA are being bullied by farmers now even though nothing is achievable
    Independent farmers are supposed to be starting next week, they're unlikely to be satisfied with the price rise either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭kk.man

wrangler wrote: »
    Private companies won't be bullied.
    TBH IFA are being bullied by farmers now even though nothing is achievable
    Independent farmers are supposed to be starting next week, they're unlikely to be satisfied with the price rise either

Your right there Wrangler, they wont be bullied but if they want to continue to gamble its a very thin line to test if another strike on the gates would test the industry statements ' another strike would be catastrophic for the beef industry'.
    With the mind farmers are in now, most couldn't care less and the erratic nature of the farmer unions the Barons might be taking a serious gamble with their once taken for granted bounty.

My understanding is that the retailers are in line for more than token 12 hour daylight blockades. The splinter grouping called the infoi are loosely organising the tractors return to the city. I do concur with wranglers take on the processors and retailers not giving into “bullying” easily and it is a combination of profiteering and and not giving cause to a precedents for strikes every week given that the cartel has such control here, the uk and Even parts of Europe there will be cause for protest every week really.

My understanding is that the retailers are in line for more than token 12 hour daylight blockades. The splinter grouping called the infoi are loosely organising the tractors return to the city. I do concur with wranglers take on the processors and retailers not giving into “bullying” easily and it is a combination of profiteering and and not giving cause to a precedents for strikes every week given that the cartel has such control here, the uk and Even parts of Europe there will be cause for protest every week really.

What all this messing might do is increase the CAP budget, especially as farmers across Europe are concerned and protesting as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

What all this messing might do is increase the CAP budget, especially as farmers across Europe are concerned and protesting as well

Why not picket Creeds office or the Dáil with in that case?
    What are the ifa looking for in the next CAP?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The chances of CAP increasing are, zero.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Why not picket Creeds office or the Dáil with in that case?
    What are the ifa looking for in the next CAP?

EU aren't even hopeful that CAP reform will be ready in 2021.
    The further out the better for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

Water John wrote: »
    The chances of CAP increasing are, zero.

They are if you don't push for it

One has also to be realistic in your battles. Political capital should be spent wisely and with a realistic chance of return.
    Also keep an eye across the pond, this evening.

The only chance of squeezing money out of the EU, is by tying it to environmental conditions. Be careful what you wish for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

They're not gone yet, and I bet were likely in for more delays until that show is sorted....and they may not end up leaving.. no budget will be decided by then and the longer we wait the stronger the chance that the new CAP will have a huge weighting towards environmental factors.

The stronger the environ factors, the stronger the chance of an increased budget...

However, we'll only end up spending our CAP on the measures, resulting in 2 outcomes. Keep your current production levels but incurring the measures, effectively farming without payments, or reduce output negating the need for the measures and holding onto the payments..

It's the increasing production or more accurately, an increase in livestock numbers that adversly affects the environment. Thus it depends what year would be taken a the reference base ear.

I’m not sure. Europe Farmers are really kicking like mules against being the enviro whipping boys, the cheap food policy while processors and retailers profiteer and it’s only starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Water John wrote: »
    It's the increasing production or more accurately, an increase in livestock numbers that adversly affects the environment. Thus it depends what year would be taken a the reference base ear.

you know this environmental thing is some joke.. Im living within an asses roar of three yes three factories.. Im sending my cattle 80 odd miles away like a good few of the neighbours and one had to send his 120 miles to get them killed.. no choice in it as local fatories wouldnt take them or were cutting weights.. What is the carbon footprint of all that.. and the poor auld cow gets the blame when she farts.. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭kk.man

gerryirl wrote: »
    you know this environmental thing is some joke.. Im living within an asses roar of three yes three factories.. Im sending my cattle 80 odd miles away like a good few of the neighbours and one had to send his 120 miles to get them killed.. no choice in it as local fatories wouldnt take them or were cutting weights.. What is the carbon footprint of all that.. and the poor auld cow gets the blame when she farts.. FFS

That should be another highlight the Beef Plan could make. Name and shame them... See how they like that.

Farmers can use the science to their advantage. The time limited effect of methane is a key factor. Also the sequestering of carbon by soil via plants is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Masifxx

Are the IFA anywhere today?

Masifxx wrote: »

I heard they were picketing a butcher shop on the Aron Island today

I heard they were picketing a butcher shop on the Aron Island today

Another joke for you

Beef Plan regional chair Enda Fingleton has defended a letter to Irish and UK supermarkets that claims Bord Bia is “misleading” them about Ireland’s grass-fed beef.

The letter refers to Irish farmers “force-feeding” cattle to reach under-30-month targets for beef. It was sent to Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Musgraves, Dunnes, Sainsbury’s and Asda.

It reads: “At the moment we feel that a certain organisation who approve the quality of Irish beef is misleading the supermarket chains and the public about our grass-fed product. If we got the 30-month rule changed here in Ireland, we could be producing better grass-fed animals with far less force feeding with grains and cereals”.

Discuss

Irish under 16 month bulls, 7 months with mammy, 9 months eating intensive maizemeal based diet. Grass fed image?

All I see wrong about the above is “force feeding”.
    We farmers know what he means but urbanites may take it literally!

• Advertisement

Irish under 16 month bulls, 7 months with mammy, 9 months eating intensive maizemeal based diet. Grass fed image?

Stupid thing to do, It'll put a question mark over every under 30mth animal.
    Frankly, I'm not surprised at it, they've been doing it all year, who do they think is buying their weanlings only farmers that are going to ''force feed'' cattle
    Have you read the complete letter that was sent.

Another joke for you

Beef Plan regional chair Enda Fingleton has defended a letter to Irish and UK supermarkets that claims Bord Bia is “misleading” them about Ireland’s grass-fed beef.

The letter refers to Irish farmers “force-feeding” cattle to reach under-30-month targets for beef. It was sent to Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Musgraves, Dunnes, Sainsbury’s and Asda.

It reads: “At the moment we feel that a certain organisation who approve the quality of Irish beef is misleading the supermarket chains and the public about our grass-fed product. If we got the 30-month rule changed here in Ireland, we could be producing better grass-fed animals with far less force feeding with grains and cereals”.

Discuss

Discuss ... jasus I dont know... amm I was "force fed" when I was younger but I still look like a friesian

Discuss ... jasus I dont know... amm I was "force fed" when I was younger but I still look like a friesian

Lucky you, we go on holidays with a couple and I physically couldn't eat what he eats and he too is a friesian ....... no justice

French sheep only have to on grass about 3mth to be ''grass fed ''

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Masifxx

the beem money came this week. Badly needed for Chrismass here. A lot of this money came from Brusels its very important IFA have an office over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Masifxx wrote: »

They were supposed to be and 2mora too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Another joke for you

Discuss

He's not telling any lies to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Any hope of a bit more information?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Another joke for you

It reads: “At the moment we feel that a certain organisation who approve the quality of Irish beef is misleading the supermarket chains and the public about our grass-fed product. If we got the 30-month rule changed here in Ireland, we could be producing better grass-fed animals with far less force feeding with grains and cereals”.[/B

Discuss
    Crazy thing to do
    Talk about cutting your own throat. If the public think that Bord Bia are misleading people how can anyone have faith in our product. Someone said recently that if the 30 month rule was removed you would have a glut in the autumn. As the autumn is traditionally the busiest time this would surely lead to another drop in price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Another joke for you

Discuss

A totally irresponsible comment from a totally irresponsible and indeed accidental spokesman. To contextualise his comments one should just look at the type of operation he’s running. I wouldn’t send him to pump a wheelbarrow tyre let alone represent my business interests.

Advertisement