Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    He has been epic for us. Even after those long layoffs with injury he just hits the ground running and is more often than not the best player on the team. I would be extremely happy if he signed on again.

Won't be easy, except if Farrell tells him he's Klein-like, and has a chance for RWC 2023 (will be IQ under new rules)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    24 points may be enough to be top 2, the others you quoted neutralise partly each other

If Toulouse lose once v Monty then they need 3 wins for any chance of top 2 seed.

Its possible that 2 or 3 teams with both back to back rounds. So I don't see Toulouse sending the Espoirs to Galway

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If Toulouse lose once v Monty then they need 3 wins for any chance of top 2 seed.

Its possible that 2 or 3 teams with both back to back rounds. So I don't see Toulouse sending the Espoirs to Galway

I'm puting myself in the hypothesis they beat Montpellier twice
    Which is not unlikely, as they begin in Toulouse and Montpellier will be 90% desinsterested next week if they get 0 point in Toulouse

Mul, it's over
    I'm puting myself in the hypothesis they beat Montpellier twice
    Which is not unlikely, as they begin in Toulouse and Montpellier will be 90% desinsterested next week if they get 0 point in Toulouse

It's not just about the results in the group. There is 4 other groups to consider.

Toulouse will be sending a strong side to Galway.

If they have any designs on winning the HC then a QF/SF/Final in France is very much the best shot at it. Top 2 seed is also the best chance they have of getting that sequence in the knockouts. How difficult is that to understand.

It's not just about the results in the group. There is 4 other groups to consider.

Toulouse will be sending a strong side to Galway.

If they have any designs on winning the HC then a QF/SF/Final in France is very much the best shot at it. Top 2 seed is also the best chance they have of getting that sequence in the knockouts. How difficult is that to understand.

You pretend not to understand yourself.
    Top 2 is acheivable with 24-25 points. It means they could well sent a partly rotated team if they beat Montpellier twice, and rest for Gloucester home + heavy TOP14 schedule
    You might disagree, but that's a fairly solid opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Top 2 is acheivable with 24-25 points. It means they could well sent a partly rotated team if they beat Montpellier twice, and rest for Gloucester home + heavy TOP14 schedule

Lads one game at a time. If we don't one the next two games It most likely won't matter what teams we face in Jan

My point is we won't be out if we lose in Gloucester.
    It would take some circonstances but 14 points vs Glouc home + less interrested Toulouse and Montpellier are possible = 18 points = MAYBE last qualified 2nd

Mul, it's over
    My point is we won't be out if we lose in Gloucester.
    It would take some circonstances but 14 points vs Glouc home + less interrested Toulouse and Montpellier are possible = 18 points = MAYBE last qualified 2nd

Where are you getting this less interested Toulouse from though when everything points to the exact opposite happening? History of the 2018/19 season points to them rocking up pretty much full strength in R5

They were top of the group last year and sent a fully loaded team to Leinster in R5. The top14 schedule is the same as the pro14 at this time of year too.

Where are you getting this less interested Toulouse from though when everything points to the exact opposite happening? History of the 2018/19 season points to them rocking up pretty much full strength in R5

They were top of the group last year and sent a fully loaded team to Leinster in R5. The top14 schedule is the same as the pro14 at this time of year too.

Totally not comparable. Toulouse was fighting for 1st place of the group vs Leinster. They have that for granted if they beat Montpellier twice

Mul, it's over
    Totally not comparable. Toulouse was fighting for 1st place of the group vs Leinster. They have that for granted if they beat Montpellier twice

But they wont have a top seeding for granted if ar least 2 other teams are also 4 from 4 which is VERY conceivable.
    I'm not talking about topping the group but top 2 seeding for a preferable knock out sequence. Jesus are you really this clueless?

There is no evidence to suggest Toulouse will be sending a weakened 23 to Galway. NOTHING

Leinster win R3 and 4 could reach 27/28
    One of Munster/Racing/Sarries can still reach 25/26
    Exeter could win 6 from 6
    One of Ulster/Clermont Can still reach 24/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    No offence lads but could you please stop this mind numbing argument or take it to pm

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    He has been epic for us. Even after those long layoffs with injury he just hits the ground running and is more often than not the best player on the team. I would be extremely happy if he signed on again.

Our best player and it isn’t close

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    Our best player and it isn’t close

Bit dramatic. I'd say hes very close to joining Bundee as our best player, with Butler, Tom Farrell and and in form Jack not too far behind

Mul, it's over
    According to Linley Mackenzie in Irish Times this morning, hoping for Marmion & TOH to be back for interpros, McKeon resumed training this week and will be available for selection from next week on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Was there any update on SOB since he went off against Leinster?

Mul, it's over
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Was there any update on SOB since he went off against Leinster?

Out until February was the timeline given I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,123 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some Like It TOH
    SOB has no luck. He's certainly in the T.O.D level with injuries. Same with Gallagher, they can't catch a break.

But they wont have a top seeding for granted if ar least 2 other teams are also 4 from 4 which is VERY conceivable.
    I'm not talking about topping the group but top 2 seeding for a preferable knock out sequence. Jesus are you really this clueless?

You're kidding, right? You don't see the difference between interest in toping a group (and if not, risking elimination) and the interst of, maybe being top2 seed, which could very well happen for Toulouse WITHOUT beating Connacht?

There is no evidence to suggest Toulouse will be sending a weakened 23 to Galway. NOTHING

Leinster win R3 and 4 could reach 27/28
    One of Munster/Racing/Sarries can still reach 25/26
    Exeter could win 6 from 6
    One of Ulster/Clermont Can still reach 24/25

You can propose your optimistic calculations for all the other pool opponents, it won't happen that way. Toulouse may well be Top2 with 24/25 points. And Toulouse won't go 100% full strenght in Galway IMO

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

And Toulouse won't go 100% full strenght in Galway IMO

Lads, this is a circular argument and neither of you is winning, but you're clogging up the thread just repeating yourselves. Take it to PM please if you want to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭b.gud

In case anyone knows any leads to help out John Porch

https://twitter.com/JohnPorch_/status/1202343244560044035
    John Porch wrote:
    @ConnachtClan
    My partner is moving over at the end of December, she is looking for a job as a Pharmaceutical rep. I was wondering if you were able to get this out with-in the clan in the hope that someone has a contact within the pharmaceutical field that could potentially help🙌🏽

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

ClanofLams wrote:
    According to Linley Mackenzie in Irish Times this morning, hoping for Marmion & TOH to be back for interpros, McKeon resumed training this week and will be available for selection from next week on.

I know these guys would like to be back for the interpros, and if they are fit and ready then that's great. I do wonder if Connacht are just too dependent on a player's word that they are ok. SOB is a prime example of rushing players back. At the end of the day it is only a game of rugby and the alternatives are not shabby players

I know these guys would like to be back for the interpros, and if they are fit and ready then that's great. I do wonder if Connacht are just too dependent on a player's word that they are ok. SOB is a prime example of rushing players back. At the end of the day it is only a game of rugby and the alternatives are not shabby players

That is absolutely not how it works and funnily enough the example you provided is the perfect example of why it doesn't work the way you suggested.

Sean O'Brien was part of the Off the Ball Connacht rugby special a few weeks ago and on it he talked about how he felt he was ready to get back to playing for a few weeks and the S&C and coaching team told him he'd have to wait a bit longer until he was fully fit

b.gud wrote:
    Sean O'Brien was part of the Off the Ball Connacht rugby special a few weeks ago and on it he talked about how he felt he was ready to get back to playing for a few weeks and the S&C and coaching team told him he'd have to wait a bit longer until he was fully fit

And yet both were proven wrong b.gud. He took a pretty innocuous hit which has him back at square one. So it would seem both player and S&C were at fault. And simply that was the only point I was trying to make. I love my rugby, and I know it's these guys careers, but the way SOB folded indicates poor decision making and poor understanding of how a body repairs itself by the folks making these decisions. And I would hope such mistakes are not repeated too often because there is a young person's livelihood at stake.

Anyway moving on, anyone know what's the story with David Horowitz. He seems to have fallen off the end of the world?

Anyway moving on, anyone know what's the story with David Horowitz. He seems to have fallen off the end of the world?

Wasn't rated for Brumbies, isn't rated at all for Connacht, not a single minute vs Montpellier, the only game he was on the teamsheet...

And yet both were proven wrong b.gud. He took a pretty innocuous hit which has him back at square one. So it would seem both player and S&C were at fault. And simply that was the only point I was trying to make. I love my rugby, and I know it's these guys careers, but the way SOB folded indicates poor decision making and poor understanding of how a body repairs itself by the folks making these decisions. And I would hope such mistakes are not repeated too often because there is a young person's livelihood at stake.

A very good point I look forward to your detailed report which is full of regular read outs for targets SOB was hitting or missing. I'm particularly looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them with your years of experience in the s&c world.

Another thing that I'm really looking forward to are the quotes from SOB explaining how he was able able to convince the management and s&c team that he was fine to play even though all data said that he wasn't

b.gud wrote:
    A very good point I look forward to your detailed report which is full of regular read outs for targets SOB was hitting or missing. I'm particularly looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them with your years of experience in the s&c world.

I leave it with your indignatious self. I wasn't trying to step on feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Oh.. that's who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over

Was a totally wild punt in the first place I think. Turned out as expected, presume hell be gone at the end of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Bit dramatic. I'd say hes very close to joining Bundee as our best player, with Butler, Tom Farrell and and in form Jack not too far behind

Huge heart... He gives weight to all players in the pack but fights like hell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement