Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What jobs get what salary?

• 28-11-2019 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

So by googling online, I’m finding that the average salary for many professions is 40k ish. I know this can’t be true though as that’s what teachers get soon after starting off and their pay is considered ‘bad’. So if you’d like to answer some of these questions I’d be so grateful:
    What’s your job and what salary do you have after how many years experience?
    How many hours a week do you work and how many weeks holiday do you get?
    Also what degree did you do to secure that job?
    Thanks a million for the response :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Notmything

Ok, I'll bite.

Work in a residential unit for children in care. At it 5 years. On roughly 43,000 a year including sleepover. Don't do overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

male model - i dont get out of bed for at least 10k a day

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the median salary here is about 43k so it would make sense that many jobs pay that or around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

the median salary here is about 43k so it would make sense that many jobs pay that or around that.

I would imagine Dublin and to a lesser extent Cork skew that though. There's a big disparity in salaries between them and the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Sheehan123 wrote: »
    So by googling online, I’m finding that the average salary for many professions is 40k ish. I know this can’t be true though as that’s what teachers get soon after starting off and their pay is considered ‘bad’. So if you’d like to answer some of these questions I’d be so grateful:

Post primary teachers don’t get that soon after starting off. A lot are not in permanent contracts so don’t get those wages and many work reduced hours as the full hours aren’t available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I get give or take, it works out at about with expenses 140,000 a year and I pay 30.3% tax on that, so it’s about a net 100,000 and out of that 100,000 I run a home in Dublin, Castlebar and Brussels. I wanna tell you something, try it sometime…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So someone with an honours degree and a hdip together with expierence in the field is now considered the bottom of the curve for salary expectations?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I get give or take, it works out at about with expenses 140,000 a year and I pay 30.3% tax on that, so it’s about a net 100,000 and out of that 100,000 I run a home in Dublin, Castlebar and Brussels. I wanna tell you something, try it sometime…

Why do you include expenses may I ask? My work requires me to travel extensively and refunds me the cost of all said travel, I assume yours does the same. It is not the same as renumeration as I am only cliaming these expenses due to work requirements to be in X country for X weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Inquitus wrote: »
    Why do you include expenses may I ask? My work requires me to travel extensively and refunds me the cost of all said travel, I assume yours does the same. It is not the same as renumeration as I am only cliaming these expenses due to work requirements to be in X country for X weeks.

Woosh!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I think you missed the joke there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you on per diem or receipts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

2 undergrad degrees, training as an accountant on €31k per year and a 4 hour daily commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Are you from......mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Squatman

thats a well paid job

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheehan123

Hi, what do you mean by running a home, what type of home is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Woosh!!!!!! :D
    I think you missed the joke there.

I think we'd better let them in on the joke....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://youtu.be/9ORNfD8e_sk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

International truck driver... Never set foot in a university.

I take home just under 1k per week in wages and €250 in rental income.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Squatman wrote: »
    thats a well paid job

Going to use this example in the 'Things that make you feel old' thread.

Clareman wrote: »
    So someone with an honours degree and a hdip together with expierence in the field is now considered the bottom of the curve for salary expectations?

If you look up teacher salary scales you should be able to find it quick enough! I apparently can’t post links as I’m a new user

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i can hear his voice perfectly!

It's a quote from Pádraig Flynn on the Late Late Show in 1999.
    The same interview annoyed Tom Gilmartin who was watching it by satellite in the UK and led to the Mahon Tribunal into planning corruption which cost the state about €200,000,000 to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

12th year as a primary school teacher and I currently get paid €36,556 net income a year.

12th year as a primary school teacher and I currently get paid €36,556 net income a year.

Are you on a CID? By googling pay scales online, on the ASTI website it seems as if the first pay scale is around 39k. Is this just for secondary school teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

East to spot the civil servants quoting their net wage😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Top class stuff :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

Work as a technical sales engineer and have a degree.

I work 8 to 4.30 Monday to Friday.

Base pay is 45k but I get decent bonuses so come out with around 60-70k a year depending on company performance.

I'm coming up on 4 years in this line of work, 29 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A Question, are you a re reg starting another teacher-bashing thread or are you genuinely interested in finding out something?.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

You can tell all the public servants are hard at work today anyway. They seem to be the only ones that can reply.

Advertisement