Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bebo...

• 10-03-2006 7:30pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

is now banned in college, ha!
    All I have been seeing for weeks is people on this site.
    A huge number of students complained, or so the message goes. Hopefully they will not flock to sites I actually like and get tehm banned similarily.
    In summation, I find it funny. I'm getting emails saying, oh noes, bebo is banned, and it gives me a good laugh.

Comments

http://bebo.com all the way!;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Eh I was way ahead of you, blocked too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i was on the bus home on friday last, and this girl sits behind me, and asks the guy who she's sitting with can she go on bebo from his laptop, the guy had t explain to her the whole concept of wireless internet and why the bus didnt have it.
    Thats why i hate bebo, and yes, i'm on it, but only to see pictures that friends put up, though i always tell them to use photobucket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

same here in carlow it, they banned it last week, i knew it, finally bebo will be brought down!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Why did they ban it? By the way I have never used it and I dont see what the fuss is about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Choking up computer usage... queues are literally out the door in most colleges to get on the computers - and it's stopping people from doing genuine academic work. That'd be the main problem. Plus it's hogging bandwidth - though that's less of a problem.

But thats not the only site people use. Most people use the college computers for browsing random sites rather than finding info related to their course. A bit over the top me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I don't go to Galway but, recently, in DCU, I did a survey (with my eyes) and, of 26 people in a computer room, 18 were on Bebo. A bit f'ing ridiculous if you ask me.

I didnt think that many people were using it. I dont like the idea of having alot of info about yourself on the net thats why I dont use it. But 70% of people is f***ing crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hence why a deluge of complaints were recieved and hence why it was banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

They haven't done a very good job blocking it, since there are 3 people in my view on the site right now...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Things are there to be gotten around.

At least since it is banned most people won't be able to use it. Then again I don' care, it's not like I ever have to line up for a pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

even after its banne dyou can get onto it if you know how, but i'm not telling any1 death to bebo

Carlow it student proud of bebo free college since last thursday

Even an arts student could get around the banning. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 binaryboy

how do you get around the banning?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

binaryboy wrote:
    how do you get around the banning?
    The effects of the ban can be negated by finding something useful to do with your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WallysWorld

Frankly Im glad bebo is gone, it was nice for a while bein in contact with people i rarely see but my email inbox clogged up too quickly with sh*te tellin me I had another forwarded message on it waiting for me to delete!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Whatever you do don't go to "e f f . o r g" (minus the spaces) and log on to bebo from there.

I can't imagine how awful it would be for computers to be backed up with people on Bebo again. . . .ha ha.

Besides, the dedicated students will have their own laptops, and the poor people will find a way if they're motivated enough.

Incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Robbo wrote:
    The effects of the ban can be negated by finding something useful to do with your time.
    Fcukin' A.

Come on UCD, ban the stupid thing so that I can have a PC to do my (late) essay on 2moro!!!
    /crosses fingers

• Advertisement

...or you could try controlling yourself....

SyxPak wrote:
    ...or you could try controlling yourself....
    Um... I don't use Bebo, I've never used Bebo, and I NEVER WILL USE BEBO.

It's just that I am in the extremely small minority of students apparently...

I woulda thought that was pretty bloody obvious from my post:
    Come on UCD, ban the stupid thing so that I can have a PC to do my (late) essay

Heres a list of all the NUIG students that are on bebo all 2997 of them
    sorry ill put up proper link tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭bammccabe

we still have bebo in sligo it.

logged in this morning and had 12 message's.
    here is 10 of them

Hey it is Andy the director of Bebo Tim Buiski, sorry for the
    interruption but Bebois closing the system down because too many
    inconsiderate people are taking up all the names, we only have 578 names left, if you would like to close your account, then do not send this message out, if you would like to keep your account, then send this message to everyone on your contact
    list. This is no joke, we are really shutting down the servers. Send it, thanks, Tim Buiski, WHO EVER DOES NOT SEND THIS MESSAGE, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED AND WILL COST
    $10.00 A MONTH TO USE, SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR LIST.

at first bebo was good but when it got to the point that rec and leisure students were getting bebo accounts,
    then it got dangerous

That message is spam, note the grammar and spelling mistakes.

Bebo and sites like it aren't really the problem, it's that a certain type of student can't quite control him/herself, and is so socially insecure that they feel driven to acquire as many 'friends' as possible, instead of just meeting people.

SyxPak wrote:
    Bebo and sites like it aren't really the problem, it's that a certain type of student can't quite control him/herself, and is so socially insecure that they feel driven to acquire as many 'friends' as possible, instead of just meeting people.
    Well, I for one find that an absolutely marvellous appraisal of the situation we find ourselves in, and indeed an excellent psycho-social analysis of the sad, lonely, desperate ppl who use Bebo...

...Now, care to actually tell us what you think we should do about it?

We can't change or ban ppl's insecurities - we can ban Bebo.

Sometimes the simplest option is best one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭bammccabe

SyxPak wrote:
    That message is spam, note the grammar and spelling mistakes.
    i know it's spam and i'm sure most people on this site do too.the thing is the stereotypical bebo user in my opinion is somebody who uses up a college computer just to visit their bebo page and therefore doesnt realise this is spam.
    plain annoying is what it is actually because that wasnt a bad site before it got taken over.in a room of 20 computers, half the one's i can see are on bebo.

SebtheBum wrote:

We can't change or ban ppl's insecurities - we can ban Bebo.
    It is easily gotten around. A friend asked me how to circumvent a ban, so I told her. This then gets passed around. I'm sure it happens a lot.
    Everybody is using it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

now blocked in DBS too.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Windfalcon

GOOD RIDDANCE. If people are so addicted to Bebo, let them go to an internet cafe.
    sebthebum wrote:
    Come on UCD, ban the stupid thing so that I can have a PC to do my (late) essay on 2moro!!!
    /crosses fingers

Students should NEVER have this sort of problem! Hearing "please let this site be banned so I can type my essay tomorrow!" is NOT what you should EVER hear at a university. There should never be an issue of school-related work being put second to entertainment sites. People shouldn't have to worry about not being able to get internet/computer access because they know over half the computers are being hogged by people who want to take quizzes and do mouse-drawings.

Advertisement