Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Election Louth Constituency

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Ivan Yeats called Breathach,O 'Dowd, Nash, O'Murchu and .......... Byrne!!
    He's away with the fairies. No way Munster won't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I wonder if Mary-Lou's narcissism will have cost her party/candidates votes?

She could have avoided the debate last night and played the victim thus attracting a certain amount of sympathy. Instead, she insisted on appearing and was badly caught out on questions about the central criminal court, the death of Paul Quinn and green energy.

Apparently, there will be a "massive" amount of investment in electric car chargers. When asked to define "massive", she said that it would be "substantial". When pressed, she couldn't give numbers for either.

Those that vote for SF, will always vote for SF. Those who may be undecided will surely have been concerned by a "massive" and "substantial" lack of policy detail to enable their political aspirations.

Pighead wrote: »
    He's away with the fairies. No way Munster won't get in.

I agree. I see Munster polling better than O'Murchu and he is probably less likely to succeed than she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Ivan Yeats called Breathach,O 'Dowd, Nash, O'Murchu and .......... Byrne!!

Just listened to that. He also said Dundalk was a bigger town than Drawda. As usual, he's talking through his hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,939 ✭✭✭✭event

I wonder Mary-Lou's narcissism party will have cost her party/candidates votes?

She could have avoided the debate last night and played the victim thus attracting a certain amount of sympathy. Instead, she insisted on appearing and was badly caught out on questions about the central criminal court, the death of Paul Quinn and green energy.

Apparently, there will be a "massive" amount of investment in electric car chargers. When asked to define "massive", she said that it would be "substantial". When pressed, she couldn't give numbers for either.

Those that vote for SF, will always vote for SF. Those who may be undecided will surely have been concerned by a "massive" and "substantial" lack of policy detail to enable their political aspirations.

Unfortunately not. I saw loads of people on my FB lately saying they will vote SF time fr change. Would have never voted them before.
    This morning its all comments like Well done Mary Lou, she was great, she showed up the two lads etc.

So looks like they are going to win a lot of seats regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I think she was really lacking in substance about how she is going to fund her policies etc. However, if you are a mid to late 20's professional on 30K per annum and she's saying she's going to exempt you from the USC for up to the first 30K of your income and then tax people on 140K at 57%, you can see how people would vote for SF. Never mind how they will fund the loss of tax income or the fact that people on and companies offering the few salaries at over 140K will up sticks and leave Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Too many people are pissed off with the housing situation and will vote for sf regardless of what she says. Rather take a chance on the unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Just a quick question regarding fringe candidates that obviously have no chance of winning. The likes of David Bradley who got a couple of hundred votes last time and is going again this time around. Or Topanga Bird who is unknown in Louth and has zero chance of being elected.

Why do they put themselves forward. I reckon at the very least it's going to cost them a grand as well as hundreds of wasted hours walking the streets and knocking on doors. Is it an ego thing? I see Topanga Bird has had two full page ads in a local paper this week and they don't come cheap. Does she genuinely think she has a chance or is it just a case of being seen to try and do something rather than sniping from the sidelines?

Any former fringe candidates here able to enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

event wrote: »

That video came up as an advertisement in my facebook feed the other night. Is he some sort of conspiracy theorist or what's his story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Missed the latest debate.
    Who won last night’s “ Liar’s Cup “.?

patsman07 wrote: »
    That video came up as an advertisement in my facebook feed the other night. Is he some sort of conspiracy theorist or what's his story?

Me too, he must have paid for the ads so

Missed the latest debate.
    Who won last night’s “ Liar’s Cup “.?

I think Leo won it to be honest. MLMD definitely lost though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Too many people are pissed off with the housing situation and will vote for sf regardless of what she says. Rather take a chance on the unknown.

This really is it.

FG have had 8 years in power, and for a LOT of people, their lives have stagnated (at best). As such, people will look for a change.

FF have their hand in the issues too, due to how they acted 10 years ago. And FG have spent the decade in power screaming at people they cannot let FF back in either.

So the alternative becomes the third biggest party. The one who might, probably struggle to fulfill their promises but might not. They are an unknown, but when the two knowns are such proven disasters, the mystery box becomes a more appealing option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

IvoryTower wrote: »

There’s much more homeless in NI

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/20000-northern-ireland-households-are-now-homeless-37719853.html

There’s 10,000 here and that’s too much but not as ad as NI and half the population.

event wrote: »
    I think Leo won it to be honest. MLMD definitely lost though

That would be my conclusion also.

I'm not party affiliated and vote for who I consider to be best candidate. I wont be voting or either FG, FF or SF next Saturday so could watch this from perhaps a more neutral perspective.

I thought Leo spoke best, articulated his policies best and was best briefed. However, he still has a certain D4 attitude and I have great difficulty in respecting a cabinet including him, Simon Harris and Eoghan Murphy. It looks to me like 3 lads from Blackrock playing at being politicians for a school project and making a mess of it.

Michael Martin did ok. His quip to MLM at the end about her biggest regret being when she joined FF was excellent. Quote of the night! I always get the feeling from him that he is a thoroughly decent man with very good intentions towards the country. But he is a legacy from a bitter past.

Finally MLM. She began by trying to shout the others down and almost baited them to attack her which, I expect, was a SF ploy to portray the other two (men) as bullies. They were wise to this though. she had uncomfortable moments when dealing (or not) with the Central Criminal Court and the Quinn murder. Her input re car charging points was laughable.

However, where she and SF fall down is there is no substance on policy to back up their aspirations. I would simply have no confidence in them to run a bath never mind a country. She said nothing last night to dissuade me from this position. I've always seen SF as a party who will complain about everything and will be happy to do so as it suits them better than leading by example.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

MLMcD also deserves huge criticism for her pension policy. Build a load of homes and wait for a baby boom seems to be the genuine plan of attacking the pension shortfall. It's going against every conceivable metric we have that shows we are an aging population with smaller and smaller families even/especially those with their own homes. To go from that suggestion of sending the wimmins home to breed large families to the 'mansplaining' accusation thrown at MM was a cheap and embarassing attempt at being down with the twitterati. Pathetic resorting to claims of sexism in the middle of a debate where you're advocating large families to fix a pension shortfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Fitzer appears to have left a branded car in my housing estate. No NCT, no tax or insurance displayed.

And it’s gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

This election could really change the Irish political landscape! It could make or break SF on a few levels. If they dont turn poll ratings in to seats it shows a lack of robustness in support and willingness by the electorate to take a chance on a real alternative to FF/FG when it comes to the crunch. It will say plenty about the value of polls too lol! If they do get in to governent I think they would be under greater scrutiny and even held to a higher bar than the usual duo. Its a lot easier to be in opposition and will find themselves being more pragmatic than principled as most parties do when put in government. This will be pounced from day dot and damage them more than similar behaviour of established Govt parties.

If SF poll as currently predicted there is going to be a lot of difficulty forming a government without a seismic change in policy for parties as independants and fringe parties will not necessarily get any one of 3 partiess polling in and around 23%. So options/opinions? FG with another confidence and supply agreement with FF or visa versa. FF cosy up to SF or visa versa. Or FG/FF/SF (not with eachother) in a rainbow coalition that will have every one of the rest so likely to collapse early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Nesta99 wrote: »
    If SF poll as currently predicted there is going to be a lot of difficulty forming a government without a seismic change in policy for parties as independants and fringe parties will not necessarily get any one of 3 partiess polling in and around 23%. So options/opinions? FG with another confidence and supply agreement with FF or visa versa. FF cosy up to SF or visa versa. Or FG/FF/SF (not with eachother) in a rainbow coalition that will have every one of the rest so likely to collapse early.

This is my worry - what if on Monday morning neither FF or FG have a majority (which is the most likely outcome) and there is no possibility of forming a coalition? Are we back to the polls again? And what are the ramifications of that? Would there be a possibility that SF could run more candidates? Or would it be the same candidates - just round 2? The thoughts of it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

CheerLouth wrote: »
    This is my worry - what if on Monday morning neither FF or FG have a majority (which is the most likely outcome) and there is no possibility of forming a coalition? Are we back to the polls again? And what are the ramifications of that? Would there be a possibility that SF could run more candidates? Or would it be the same candidates - just round 2? The thoughts of it :(

New election so completely new tickets and SF could run as many candidates as they like.

It’d be a tough decision for them to call though, if their current rise in the polls is based more in protest at the other 2 parties then a second election would likely see them revert to their previous position. Lisbon and Nice have shown that if there is a protest vote in Ireland it usually falls away the second vote. So running more candidates could split their vote and be a disaster for them.

Or the polls are not a protest and there really is a swing from FF/FG to SF in which case failing to run more candidates would see them miss out on seats.

Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Nice bit of electioneering out in Lordship last night.

FF & FG posters burned off the poles & big hand painted placard advising locals not to vote for Black and Tans.

They haven't gone away you know. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

CheerLouth wrote: »
    The biggest party will try to form a government. That looks like FF and their target would be the smaller parties plus some sensible Indos. If they don't look like getting there they may look to FG to be a mudguard. If that doesn't work then maybe FG will have a go, but they just won't have the numbers. All of this could take up to at least Easter or even later and we might be back at it again in June. If a deal is done we should have at least 12 months of government but I doubt it will go anywhere near a full Dail term.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Philipx wrote: »

FF & FG posters burned off the poles & big hand painted placard advising locals not to vote for Black and Tans.

Guess it's going to be a fun 3 years of commemorating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Philipx wrote: »

Yeah,the poster burners haven't gone away atalllllll!! Everywhere the hoors.:eek::rolleyes:

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/o-murchu-vows-he-wont-be-intimidated-after-election-posters-are-burned/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Interfering with election posters is very childish.
    The last time I did it I was about 9 years old. I drew a moustache on Dev.

Yeah,the poster burners haven't gone away atalllllll!! Everywhere the hoors.:eek::rolleyes:

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/o-murchu-vows-he-wont-be-intimidated-after-election-posters-are-burned/

Best statement ever

“Sinn Féin will not be intimidated or bullied.”
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

joeysoap wrote: »
    Best statement ever

“Sinn Féin will not be intimidated or bullied.”
    :)

Who are SF intimidating or bullying?:confused:
    You appear to be intimating they are.
    Or am i reading your post wrong?

0 callers

Daughter
    0 callers

Son
    0 callers

I think this must widespread

• Advertisement

Who are SF intimidating or bullying?:confused:
    You appear to be intimating they are.
    Or am i reading your post wrong?

I just think it’s funny, that’s all.

Never insinuated they were intimidating anyone.

Advertisement