Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air BnB [and other platforms] to be effectively outlawed in high demand areas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

awec wrote: »
    How is this in any way relevant to anything?

Apparently because they settled in, it wasn’t a holiday. :confused: It’s not at all relevant, basically.
    Jay Dee wrote: »
    Surely this is an example of the main difference between Hotels and AirB&B. !

How so? I’m repeating myself but Nox also lumped holiday homes in with hotels. Everything he describes there holds for holiday homes as well as Airbnbs. AND people work from hotel rooms all the time. Some hotel rooms even have kitchenettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

In my experience, Airbnb brings social problems.

Having an apartment below you being rented out to anyone with money every weekend is reason enough for the ban to be made global in my opinion.
    Even if the landlord should have done more to vet the people coming, there'll always be people who will make it a bad experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

and the laws aren't working out very well are they? Your perspective is what prevails at Gov level and thus can be linked to the creation of the crisis. Some people like me work remotely and use airbnb to visit their official place of work, others use it to find long term accommodation or short term language or research stays in Dublin. Frankly it is no ones business whether is stag weekends or tech workers who work remotely.
    What's wrong with a B&B for this? Plenty do it around Leixslip. Or owner-occupier AirBnB? I'm sure there'd be plenty out there that'd happily rent out rooms to pay off the mortgage of homes they can't currently afford due to artificially high demand from buy-to-rent owners. You don't need a whole apartment/house for this. Can't expect society to be held hostage to your obscure requirements.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

and the laws aren't working out very well are they? Your perspective is what prevails at Gov level and thus can be linked to the creation of the crisis. Some people like me work remotely and use airbnb to visit their official place of work, others use it to find long term accommodation or short term language or research stays in Dublin. Frankly it is no ones business whether is stag weekends or tech workers who work remotely.

None of these things are as important as providing homes.

You have alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

You have alternatives.

Sure we might as well just make illegal to cease being a landlord so

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    What's wrong with a B&B for this? Plenty do it around Leixslip. Or owner-occupier AirBnB? I'm sure there'd be plenty out there that'd happily rent out rooms to pay off the mortgage of homes they can't currently afford due to artificially high demand from buy-to-rent owners. You don't need a whole apartment/house for this. Can't expect society to be held hostage to your obscure requirements.

Sometimes its ok, sometimes not. Most bnbs are very hard to work in while a room share on airbnb is normally fine but lacks of the privacy. This rigid attitude is just perfection is the enemy of progress

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Nothing to stop B&Bs 'progressing'.

If progression is converting already limited housing stock to tourist accommodation, call me a luddite.

Sure we might as well just make illegal to cease being a landlord so

That would be silly.

Nobody is being prevented from being a landlord. People are being prevented from using residential property as a hotel. This is not "being a landlord".

That would be silly.

Nobody is being prevented from being a landlord. People are being prevented from using residential property as a hotel. This is not "being a landlord".

Compare housing to another industry like say ICT. There is a reason housing is extremely expensive, slow to change and innovate and its not builders fault. One industry is regulated to near painstaking slowness while the other is essentially regulation free and booms.

Compare housing to another industry like say ICT. There is a reason housing is extremely expensive, slow to change and innovate and its not builders fault. One industry is regulated to near painstaking slowness while the other is essentially regulation free and booms.

This is a daft comparison. Housing, and providing homes, is nothing like IT. You are comparing apples and oranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

xckjoo wrote: »
    What's wrong with a B&B for this? ...... I'm sure there'd be plenty out there that'd happily rent out rooms .... . You don't need a whole apartment/house for this.... Can't expect society to be held hostage to your obscure requirements.

What ever happened to personal choice !!

Still available within the limits of the law.

Graham wrote: »
    Still available within the limits of the law.

Indeed. I can't turn my house into a hotel in the same way I can't just decide to turn it into a pub.

Planning law is nothing new. I am not sure why folks are confused.

You have alternatives.

It is not private property owners job to "provide homes", it is their job to make as much money from their property and minimise risk. This key point cannot be highlighted enough.

Some people really do appear to think that landlords aim is to provide housing, it is not. They are proving a service to make money, if another type of service can be provided (i.e. airbnb rather than a long term let) which is better business wise then they will of course choose this as any business would alter their business to suit the market.
    Indeed. I can't turn my house into a hotel in the same way I can't just decide to turn it into a pub.

Planning law is nothing new. I am not sure why folks are confused.

You can turn it into a b&b though without planning. I see no reason why airbnb shouldn't have the same exemption. Airbnb is completely incomparable to a hotel, thats the very reason its so popular as it offers a totally different service.

Are you okay with your next door neighbour turning their house into a shebeen or a brothel? Personal choice and all.
    It is not private property owners job to "provide homes", it is their job to make as much money from their property and minimise risk. This key point cannot be highlighted enough.

Some people really do appear to think that landlords aim is to provide housing, it is not. They are proving a service to make money, if another type of service can be provided (i.e. airbnb rather than a long term let) which is better business wise then they will of course choose this as any business would alter their business to suit the market.

They can do what they like within the regulations.

It is not private property owners job to "provide homes", it is their job to make as much money from their property and minimise risk.

If it comes as a surprise to anyone that there are limits/restrictions on what they can do with private property, they might be better served considering alternative investments.

Are you okay with your next door neighbour turning their house into a shebeen or a brothel? Personal choice and all.

This is NOT within the law ,

You can turn it into a b&b though without planning. I see no reason why airbnb shouldn't have the same exemption. Airbnb is completely incomparable to a hotel, thats the very reason its so popular as it offers a totally different service.

You have convinced nobody of that. Trying to argue that Airbnb is closer to residential accommodation is utterly farcical. You shot yourself in the foot by saying that Airbnb is nothing like a holiday home when they are practically the same. Literally everything you listed as a thing that apparently makes Airbnb different also applies to holiday homes and most of them apply to hotels. The thing that ties them all is that none of them are anyone’s residence. I can’t believe I have to point out something so obvious.

Your relations couldn’t afford a hotel for two weeks. So they rented another type of holiday accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

This is NOT within the law ,
    And now neither is unrestricted AirBnB letting. You just don't like that regulation.

They can do what they like within the regulations.

yeah I would be actually.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    If it comes as a surprise to anyone that there are limits/restrictions on what they can do with private property, they might be better served considering alternative investments.

It comes as a surprise how retrograde such restrictions are.

Within the law. This is the bit that's confusing you I think.

It comes as a surprise how retrograde such restrictions are.

It is an entirely positive step. The only people annoyed by it are those who have been taking the piss, and they know full well they've been taking the piss.

Indeed, the sheer depths those trying to come up with problems are stooping to is testament to that fact. There will be some seriously blunt fingernails for some on this thread, scraping all those barrels!

You have convinced nobody of that. Trying to argue that Airbnb is closer to residential accommodation is utterly farcical. You shot yourself in the foot by saying that Airbnb is nothing like a holiday home when they are practically the same. Literally everything you listed as a thing that apparently makes Airbnb different also applies to holiday homes and most of them apply to hotels. The thing that ties them all is that none of them are anyone’s residence. I can’t believe I have to point out something so obvious.

Your relations couldn’t afford a hotel for two weeks. So they rented another type of holiday accommodation.

(a) You shot yourself in the foot by saying that Airbnb is nothing like a holiday home when they are practically the same..... The majority of AirBnB's are rooms within a private house , to insist that they are more like Holiday homes or Hotel Apartments is inaccurate to say the least..

(b) Your relations couldn’t afford a hotel for two weeks
    Not a very nice comment !!
    Please stick to the thread...

It is an entirely positive step. The only people annoyed by it are those who have been taking the piss, and they know full well they've been taking the piss.

Indeed, the sheer depths those trying to come up with problems are stooping to is testament to that fact. There will be some seriously blunt fingernails for some on this thread, scraping all those barrels!

I d question why people like yourself post such unreliable information. Such advised confidence. Are you really saying that no one would disagree with such regulations, unless they them selves were hosts? I never broke these rules and I disagree with them. There you are disproved. Now an adult rebuttal please.

(a) You shot yourself in the foot by saying that Airbnb is nothing like a holiday home when they are practically the same..... The majority of AirBnB's are rooms within a private house , to insist that they are more like Holiday homes or Hotel Apartments is inaccurate to say the least..

(b) Your relations couldn’t afford a hotel for two weeks
    Not a very nice comment !!
    Please stick to the thread...

The supposed differences were that in Airbnbs, people can cook for themselves, do washing and work from them if needed. I have never been in a holiday home where all those things weren’t possible. I mean, continue to argue that they’re not analogous. Seriously, knock yourself out. You’re just making yourself look silly. The argument that Airbnb is closer to residential accommodation wouldn’t stand up legally.

On the second point, are you a mod? And I’m going off information volunteered by that poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Why do people like yourself see it as the responsibility of a private property owner to provide rental accommodation or ownership to the public?
    The law says you need planning, the law is being given the consideration it deserves. This seems to irk a lot of people, the reality is that no one likes being told what they can do with their own private property. Many counties, including the one I live in, take this law so seriously that they have NO staff assigned to enforcement.

Surely you understand that these laws were just a sound bite, a show of intention by the Government to do something about their housing policy failures, there seems little political will to do anything about enforcement.

Incidentally, I’m not hypocritical, I don’t think anyone let’s their home just to benefit tourism, it is to make money and to avoid letting to a tenant.

They could easily afford a hotel for two weeks but it would have been a significant compromise is comfort, facilities etc and of course availability.

They could easily afford a hotel for two weeks but it would have been a significant compromise is comfort, facilities etc and of course availability.

That doesn’t change that it was holiday accommodation. Apparently to you, mimicking the beats of home (which can also be achieved in a holiday home) makes short-term holiday accommodation residential. Weird.

• Advertisement

That doesn’t change that it was holiday accommodation. Apparently to you, mimicking the beats of home (which can also be achieved in a holiday home) makes short-term holiday accommodation residential. Weird.

And where will you find holiday homes? Back in clifden or similar not in a city centre estate which is where people tend to want to stay with Airbnb.

The vast majority of people would disagree with stopping Airbnb the same as the vast majority disagree with the ban on Uber. Anyone I know living in counties that allow Uber absolutely sing it’s praises, it’s a fantastic service which we are denied in this country due to total over regulation.

Advertisement