Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Cathy, can the hospital not even give quick scan to see and hear everthing still ok without having the internal? Seems a pity to wait if you are that worried

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Winnie wrote: »
    Cathy, can the hospital not even give quick scan to see and hear everthing still ok without having the internal? Seems a pity to wait if you are that worried
    They would give me a scan (after waiting a few hours) but the scanning machines in that section are not detailed and they said that they would not be able to determine the cause of the bleed without the internal exam.

well fingers crossed that all is well, im sure it will be. try not to fret too much x x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Jeez Cathy you are having a hard time of it :(

Try not to worry too much and rest as much as baby Shane lets you :rolleyes:

Keep us posted

Chin up girl everything will work out, fingers crossed for you!

well fingers crossed that all is well, im sure it will be. try not to fret too much x x
    I still feel ill which is good and the baby is still kicking (well s(he) was the last time I checked). It is a worry and there is not much I can do at the moment. Thanks.

• Advertisement

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Jeez Cathy you are having a hard time of it :(

Try not to worry too much and rest as much as baby Shane lets you :rolleyes:

Keep us posted

Chin up girl everything will work out, fingers crossed for you!
    If this one hopefully makes it we will be having more fun when they are born...I have the scan on Sunday and I know that will be a detailed scan. I have a lot of health issues so it makes my pregnancy very high risk. How are you and your children?

Finally decided to go ahead and get an at home fetal monitor and heard the heartbeat for first time this morning racing away.....loved it! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Finally decided to go ahead and get an at home fetal monitor and heard the heartbeat for first time this morning racing away.....loved it! :-)

:D

http://soundcloud.com/caimin/heatbeat-nr

yeah sounded exactly the same! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

CathyMoran wrote: »
    If this one hopefully makes it we will be having more fun when they are born...I have the scan on Sunday and I know that will be a detailed scan. I have a lot of health issues so it makes my pregnancy very high risk. How are you and your children?

I'm wrecked but that's to be expected :D
    All well here thank God

Will be thinking of you this week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

cathy, fingers crossed for you here too, its so hard just being the vessel and having no control on our little ones health or ours for that matter!
    i know yor prob fed up of hearing this but since becoming pregs i've become a strong believer in positive thinking, i would have said it was a load of bull before but sure its all we've got! and i def find that when im in pain/sick i chat away to the baba, (hormones have turned me into a soft fool:D) but its amazing how it helps, sometimes i'll chat bout its granny or daddy other times like now im telling babs that to buy or not to buy is a load of rubbish but theres nothing else on telly and i dont feel like getting up and cleaning! i swear if anyone heard me id be put in the mental!!!!

i think my all day sickness is back, i was getting relief during the day for a few hours for the last month but yst and today i feel like i did at the start, the only prob is at the start i could survive on the odd slice of toast or plain biscuit but thats not working, it sounds silly but i can actually feel the baby draining me of everything and i need something of more goodness than toast!

anyhow, lost sight of my topic:rolleyes: i've been making out lists seeing as i've been on my ass last two days and im completely lost when it comes to sterilisers, this is the first and the first for both houses so i've no one to ask, but can anyone tell me the difference between electric/steam? i dont want to bf so im def going to need one, have seen lots bout the tommie tippee brand and i like the idea of the anti colic bottles as stomach problems are in my family so im expecting a colicky baby(prob just linxed myself) but i believe in being ready for anything!!!
    so if anyone can shed some light on this i'd be so grateful as i want to start picking up bits soon, thanks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

melsbells wrote: »

anyhow, lost sight of my topic:rolleyes: i've been making out lists seeing as i've been on my ass last two days and im completely lost when it comes to sterilisers, this is the first and the first for both houses so i've no one to ask, but can anyone tell me the difference between electric/steam? i dont want to bf so im def going to need one, have seen lots bout the tommie tippee brand and i like the idea of the anti colic bottles as stomach problems are in my family so im expecting a colicky baby(prob just linxed myself) but i believe in being ready for anything!!!
    so if anyone can shed some light on this i'd be so grateful as i want to start picking up bits soon, thanks;)

Dont think there is any difference between electric and steam. There is a steam and then the manual steriliser(soaking them in milton/something similar)/
    I have opted for a microwave steam sterilser(avent one)
    Sterilises in a couple of minutes and can be stored in the microwave(kitchen is fairly tight on counter space)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

newmammy, have you used avent before? they seem to be everywhere!

its so confusing, trying to figure out also, now this is a stupid question, but how many bottles do i buy?! i know if i need extra when babs arrives i can buy some but just to start me off how many?
    can you spot how little i know:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

First time mammy also...but have looked after a fair few babies!
    Have never found any prob with avent and both sister and sister in law have used them.
    A friend of mine who is a new first time mammy is using Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature but have fed her baby and found that the teat kept sinking down into the bottle. Also the markings on the bottle(cant remember if it was the anti colic or the normal one) werent great.
    Another friend used Dr Browns for her 2nd child and found them really bad for leaking so has gone back to avent for her third.
    With regards to number of bottles...Im doubling up as due twins...but I would think 6 would be enough. I am buying all 260 ml ones as I was thinking that the smaller ones would not fit a full feed after the first few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

I still feel ill which is good and the baby is still kicking (well s(he) was the last time I checked). It is a worry and there is not much I can do at the moment. Thanks.

Hey hun, just wanted to give you a quick hug *hugs* and my thoughts are with you. xxx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

melsbells wrote: »
    newmammy, have you used avent before? they seem to be everywhere!

its so confusing, trying to figure out also, now this is a stupid question, but how many bottles do i buy?! i know if i need extra when babs arrives i can buy some but just to start me off how many?
    can you spot how little i know:D:D:D

The steriliser only takes 6- and it only takes a few minutes to do a cycle- so strictly speaking you don't need more than 6.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We were unimpressed with the avent bottles and mot impressed with the tommee tippee anti colic plus,followed by the tommee tippee ctn ones.
    We have an electric steam steriliser and a microwave steam/milton one.It looks like a lunch box and can go everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

So... found out last Thursday that I'm pregnant. Wasn't planning it so it was definitely a surprise but am starting to get my head around it now- sort of! :rolleyes:

Figure I'm 7 weeks + 2 so probably a little on the late side finding out.
    Have no idea what to do next though! Have seen a GP and although he was nice and helpful etc., he basically just did an open referral letter for me and sent me on my way...

Any advice (or a full instruction book!) would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kco2010

Hi liliq, In the same boat here but a few days behind you. You just have to research and decide which hospital suits you and then get a list of consultants or see if anyone can recommend a consultant. If you have health insurance , call and see what you are covered for. Thats where I am at the moment anyway which is why im on here now..... Congratulations x

Could anyone recommend a female consultant in the Coombe? I heard Dr. Murphy is great but there are two Murphys, Cliona and Deirdre. Also tried calling today and the phone rang out. How do you book an appointment or what way does it work? Any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Little My

Squiggler wrote: »
    I don't want to worry or upset you, but there have been animal studies that show that high consumption of linseed during pregnancy causes problems with the development of the reproductive organs of the offspring. Might be worth doing some research. I know that Flaxseed is definitely contraindicated during pregnancy for that very reason. Foods that stimulate or mimic hormones might be helpful for pregnant mommy but maybe not so good for developing baby.

Winnie, eating slowly, and little and often is supposed to be very helpful for avoiding indigestion and trapped wind.

Have you a link for this?

I asked the nutritionist at UCHGalway anti-natal class specifically about it and she said it was totally safe during pregnancy & heartily recommended it to all pregnant women there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Not a woman, but I can recommend Dr. Gunther Von Bunau.

I was in his public clinic a year ago and he was absolutely fantastic!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

girls, if you aren't going public book asap.
    I booked Holles st @ 4/5 weeks this time and most of the consultants were booked out,last time I booked @ nearly 7 weeks and their were hardly any spaces left.

Congrats to both of you:)

Thanks kco2010! And congratulations to you too! :)
    Will start some more in depth research and see what I come up with! So far am thinking Holles St...

Eep! Thanks Moonbeam! Read on their website that you need to get a booking reference number first before I can book an appointment? Did you have the same? Also... do you mind me asking which consultant you were with and how you got on with them? Or was it the case that you only saw the actualy consultant once or twice anyway and saw reg's or midwives most of the time?
    Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Little My wrote: »
    Have you a link for this?

I asked the nutritionist at UCHGalway anti-natal class specifically about it and she said it was totally safe during pregnancy & heartily recommended it to all pregnant women there.

Here's one of many. Like everything there is conflicting information out there, and in moderation it is probably ok, maybe.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flaxseed/NS_patient-flaxseed/DSECTION=safety
    The use of flaxseed or flaxseed oil during pregnancy and breastfeeding is not recommended. Animal studies show possible harmful effects, and there is little information in humans. Flaxseed may stimulate menstruation or have other hormonal effects and could be harmful to pregnancy.

Called Holles St. and got the booking reference number etc, and have made appointments for semi- private... they said that they don't do hospital only with semi- private, only combined care?
    Apparently I'll only see the consultant once anyway for 20/22 week scan so tbh I'm not really fussed who I see!

I'm not really sure what the pros/ cons of either are... it's handy enough for me to get to either Holles street or the GP, and I know I'll get good attention in the GP, won't be rushed in and out the door, but are hospital visits any more thorough or do anything more than a GP would?
    Is fully hospital any better or worse? The only thing that is putting me off combined care is that I'd be more familiar with the hosptal and staff if I was hospital only.

liliq wrote: »

I'm not really sure what the pros/ cons of either are...

for us, the only pro was that we had an early scan and had to get it followed up - what was great was that we saw the same doc each time, so obviously she knew our story and that made things easier. There was one appointment where our doc wasn't there, and the stand-in was perfectly good, but didn't know our backstory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

liliq wrote: »
    Called Holles St. and got the booking reference number etc, and have made appointments for semi- private... they said that they don't do hospital only with semi- private, only combined care?
    Apparently I'll only see the consultant once anyway for 20/22 week scan so tbh I'm not really fussed who I see!

I'm not really sure what the pros/ cons of either are... it's handy enough for me to get to either Holles street or the GP, and I know I'll get good attention in the GP, won't be rushed in and out the door, but are hospital visits any more thorough or do anything more than a GP would?
    Is fully hospital any better or worse? The only thing that is putting me off combined care is that I'd be more familiar with the hosptal and staff if I was hospital only.
    In my experience the gp visits are at least as thorough as the hosp visits.
    Gp checks urine, bp, gen health, does abdominal exam, listens to baby's heartbeat. the hosp visits are see midwife for urine/bp/gen check then wait an hr at least to see consultant to have a miniscan (if u r lucky) an abdominal exam and a review of what midwifes have recorded.
    This is my 3rd so I have seen the consultant a total of 1 times for approx 7 mins, just gp and midwifes and my next cons app will be in wk 40.
    With No2 I was also on combined care, but with various little issues I saw the cons approx every sec visit and a few extra ones too. Had 6/7 scans and a few mini scans.
    With No1 I was on combined care and had the prescribed no of visits, 2 scans and a few mini scans. had a private room for half my hosp stay also.
    All public.
    I can't imagine a single reason to go private or semi, you get the care you need as a public patient, all the care you need. You get no guarantees that you will see consultant or have them present at birth or that you will get a private room regardless of public/semi/private. IME you are better off the less you see of doctors when pregnant unless you have a reason to.
    Congrats and good luck on the greatest journey of you life.

just back from checkup, everything perfect. Little dude is in the right position for blastoff as well. I'm away for the next three weeks, gonna be torture!

Had very bad low blood sugar last night, had a high blood sugar earlier and overcorrected - ate late which did not help and was totally exhausted going to bed.

Our son baby Shane was in really bad form on Monday, know why now, he is getting more lower teeth, for him at least the upper ones so far have been easier - have my little giggle monster back.

Did not go to hospital with thing earlier in the week, is a tough week for us as we lost a baby in 2009 this week so avoiding the place if possible.

Baby still kicking away which is good - we are getting the gender determination on Saturday (was supposed to be Sunday but I have been upset this week and wanted to see my baby to make sure that (s)he is OK) - have always thought that I knew the gender of this baby but do not care if is a boy or girl.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Had very bad low blood sugar last night, had a high blood sugar earlier and overcorrected - ate late which did not help and was totally exhausted going to bed.

Our son baby Shane was in really bad form on Monday, know why now, he is getting more lower teeth, for him at least the upper ones so far have been easier - have my little giggle monster back.

Did not go to hospital with thing earlier in the week, is a tough week for us as we lost a baby in 2009 this week so avoiding the place if possible.

Baby still kicking away which is good - we are getting the gender determination on Saturday (was supposed to be Sunday but I have been upset this week and wanted to see my baby to make sure that (s)he is OK) - have always thought that I knew the gender of this baby but do not care if is a boy or girl.

Good to hear the little one is still kicking, I think he or she is going to be just like their brother! Be careful, they might gang up on you! :D

Advertisement