Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3rd Party Apps on 3

• 28-08-2007 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

Is anyone else having problems with certain 3rd party applications on 3?
    I am on 3 billpay with broadband unlimited. I have been having problems with, in particular, Fring.
    I can log in using the handsets wifi connection but not on the 3 connection. All was working fine a week ago but now it stays on the logging in screen and cannot make a connection.
    Anyone else having problems with fring?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

No, for me fring is still working (on 3pay). It does have some trouble keeping the connection because 3's network seems a lot slower again the last few days. It will then show the fring logo in blue with some question marks around it. Once I disconnect and reconnect it works fine again then.

I haven't tried actually making a call, I usually ring back when someone tries to ring me on fring because there is a huge delay in the calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

postie wrote:
    Is anyone else having problems with certain 3rd party applications on 3?
    if it's any use, I have been trying to install operamini and the gmail application, and neither works.

the site loads and the installation starts, but then it goes to "disconnected" after a while.

I installed operamini by downloading it to the pc and usb'ing it across, and the setup connection thing fails now.

3pay, nokia 6110, age verified :rolleyes: today...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

nereid wrote:
    if it's any use, I have been trying to install operamini and the gmail application, and neither works.

I'm having intermittent connection problems with opera mini as well, but Fring will simply not work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Yeah the same here, it' s all quite fragile, very frequent disconnections and my email app frequently times out when opening an email.

But fring is definitely logging in here... I can do the test call although it is quite choppy.

Where are you guys based? It might be location-dependent. I'm in Galway (City).

postie wrote:
    I'm having intermittent connection problems with opera mini as well, but Fring will simply not work...

have you _ever_ had it working?

I mean, I go through the 6 setup test steps and then it throws a wobbly and I have to quit.

must try installing fring.

• Advertisement

Yeah the same here, it' s all quite fragile, very frequent disconnections and my email app frequently times out when opening an email.

But fring is definitely logging in here... I can do the test call although it is quite choppy.

Where are you guys based? It might be location-dependent. I'm in Galway (City).
    I'm in Dublin

nereid wrote:
    have you _ever_ had it working?

I mean, I go through the 6 setup test steps and then it throws a wobbly and I have to quit.

must try installing fring.

It was working fine last week and still works fine on a wifi connection but will not log in with 3. Just re-installed it and still no joy.
    Sorry just realised you're talking about opera...this worked fine until last weekend but now it is very hit and miss. It cannot make a connection half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Fring was working fine for me on my E65 until a few days ago. Now it just refuses to work on 3, but is fine on wifi. I also live in Dublin. I also know someone else with a E65 in Dublin who can no longer connect to Fring on 3 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Have Broadband Unlimitied on Bill Pay on a Nokia E61.

Last week, automatic e-mail retrieval started to fail, works very intermittently now.
    Fring also stopped working around same time.
    Also the new Live Messenger for S60 doesn't work with Three.

All these apps work fine over my Wifi.

I rang up to complain about the e-mail but was told that the only 'availalble' e-mail is via the Three portal *groan* I've been using e-mail fine for weeks no problems.

Was using the online chat with a service rep and told them Live Messenger failed, he/she told me to re-install from the 3 portal, I had downloaded it directly from Microsoft, using the link on their portal fails as I am not using a Three 'branded' phone.

Does the link work for users with Three E65 phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

skype and msn messenger provided by 3 work fine on my E65. Trying to sign onto skype or msn using fring doesn't work however, unless I use wifi. This was working fine for weeks. I suspect they are blocking ports for these services and their own clients use different ports which they translate back to the correct ones on their side. I'll definately be switching back to Vodafone or 02 if they continue to stop me using programs like Fring

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_(telecommunications)#Internet_access_restrictions_in_the_UK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Ronald Gigantic Food

I'm having intermittent connection with Opera mini also.
    Using both v3.1 and the v4 beta. Sometimes one version will work, while the other doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

windows live messenger stopped working for me on my n73 this week. Cant download the msn messenger from 3 i think because ive a generic firmware it was all working fine until recently. Youtube also works at random.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thought it was just me,

been using system seven beta for push email, same thing, fine on wifi, intermittent otherwise and opera mini the same

is it some sort of crack down or a network issue???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭ Madeleine Defeated Mulberry

For whats its worth, you need to do age verification with 3 for them to give you full internet access, otherwise your restricted to there small intranet and a few other sites on their white list.

I had the same issues with mIRGGI, mGtalk, Gmail, spodtronic and others. I couldnt even external sites outside 3's approved list like www.boards.ie but as soon as i dont the age verification, i was able to use all application, gmail/gtalk/irc/open any webpage and use other internet protocols such as radio streaming..

Kristok wrote:
    windows live messenger stopped working for me on my n73 this week. Cant download the msn messenger from 3 i think because ive a generic firmware it was all working fine until recently. Youtube also works at random.

i've already sorted that issue.. look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055130363

For whats its worth, you need to do age verification with 3 for them to give you full internet access, otherwise your restricted to there small intranet and a few other sites on their white list.

I had the same issues with mIRGGI, mGtalk, Gmail, spodtronic and others. I couldnt even external sites outside 3's approved list like www.boards.ie but as soon as i dont the age verification, i was able to use all application, gmail/gtalk/irc/open any webpage and use other internet protocols such as radio streaming..

not on billpay

Cyrus wrote:
    not on billpay

you should ask them if they have a restriction on your internet access. i know your billpay but it seems a very similar scenario that i had.

yeah but everyones worked fine until a few days ago ?

Cyrus wrote:
    yeah but everyones worked fine until a few days ago ?
    correct.

This appears to be a "recent" development.

I can get onto some external sites (fantasy.premierleague.com) for example, but I can't get on to others, and gmail app/ opera still fails on my phone.

The nokia browser works perfectly though, so I don't know what is causing opera to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It better be a network issue, otherwise i'm getting on to advertising standards. It's not unlimited broadband at all, it's highly limited in that case and almost completely usless!

I haven't been able to use anything other than gmail and the three web browser and i'm on billpay...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Conclusive proof that Three don't know what they are doing. I'm now on X-Series Gold -as I write, none of the services on it work. I got a promo SMS from them yesterday saying:

3 Update. Go to Planet 3. Choose Internet & Surf the Web on your mobile for just 49c per MB.

And the bit that really made me laugh:

To opt of of Internet access call 333.

They forgot to add 'or buy a 3 USB modem or broadband phone addon'

i've already sorted that issue.. look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055130363

Thanks but im not using their old msn messenger i was using the newer windows live messenger which is much slicker and faster too. Still cant log on with it although it worked perfectly fine up untill the last week just keeps saying service unavailable right now. Even tried msn messanger and that wont log on looks like it might be the firmware being blocked cause its not 3 branded.

I don't think it's your firmware. It's the 3 network, something's changed and ports are not connecting.

i dont know i think it is the firmware my 6280 connects just fine with my sim but my n73 with non branded firmware wont from the phone or from the pc.

Well, my 3 Sony Ericsson W850i won't connect to anything other than gmail and the web via the three portal.

Apps that won't work:
    Omniweb
    MSN
    GoogleMaps

and quite a few others.

It's a 3 phone, 3 branded etc etc..

So, I think a problem their end. I sincerely hope this is a cock-up and not a change of policy as I only signed up to 3 for a second year because of the data packages. If they're going to cripple my phone's functionality without warning like this, I'll simply use another network.

im gonna be proper annoyed if this isnt sorted, its the reason i signed a new 12mth contract :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

this is kinda on topic, but I notice some of you say you can access gmail on your 3 phones.

I have a Nokia 6280 and can't get the gmail app to install. Why not? Do i need to do that age verification and have the appropriate data transfer add on?

How do I do age verification?

i called 3, but they say to use the 3mail app which of course I don't want to.

The ring fencing of internet via 3 is what was going to get me to move away from 3 at the end of my contract but if folks have been able to use normal 3rd party apps until recently and if 3 resolve the issue, then I'll upgrade to a wifi phone and get fringing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

This most recent outage of 3 is rediculous. It's been almost a month since the 'upgrade' and still these things aren't sorted.

I'm suggesting that rather than going to Three as individuals at this point that we band together to try and get something done to have these services reinstated.

Anyone up for this should PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Fring has stopped here too. Pretty pissed. The one company that had it together of late with regard to unlimited data, it seems has now locked down some of its previously "unlimited" features.

I have to agree with Bluefrog above.

All the Irish networks in this still somewhat monopolized market will copy each other and continue to lock down data/internet services and force them through their own portals etc until end users "en masse" make their needs heard.
    There are so many applications which require unbridled access to an unlimited data plan and that number of applications and services is growing as more and more end users upgrade to "smartphones" which the networks unfortunately are dumming down by limiting their potential.

I know they have to make a living but they can easily maintain profitibility thru ad revenues, music downloads et al. And we all still need to make voice calls!!!
    Fring and Skype are not cost efficent for calling other mobiles so that revenue will always be there.

To have had access to Fring for example and then having it taken away is taking the piss frankly. No network will listen to one or two grumblers like myself and, if there are only one or two grumblers, then fine, we'll have to deal with it.. but I suspect that there are more than just a few who want proper access to data without it being shoehorned through a poxy proxy or locked down after the fact to ape other paranoid networks (read: vodafone).

Maybe we are just behind the times in Ireland and no one really cares so the networks will eek out as much cash from the consumer before we all notice whats happening throughout Europe. We are getting shafted on internet pricing btw if any one is interested.

So whats unlimited data if you can't access data you need? Whats fair usage policy if the networks don't play fair? Whats the point in getting a decent phone if you can't use it to its full potential? And whats the point in grumbling on these boards if no one really cares?

• Advertisement

I actually don't think 3 are blocking stuff..(maybe some stuff!) I just don't think they know what their doing.
    If you go to speedtest.net from your phone it will register your IP as
    193.120.116.178 or possibly a handful of others. If you then look at past results you'll see dozens of recent speedtests from this IP - some new ones appeared as I refreshed the browser while logged on.
    If we are all sharing the same IP address then the likes of Fring or most SMTP's will have dozens of people trying to log in from the same IP address at the same time and they will probably ban that IP.
    It's pretty stupid stuff if that's the case and the end result is the same...no Fring no pop email no skype...etc etc.

Advertisement