Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hanging bulb to Spotlight

Options
  • 05-05-2021 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I am planning to install Spotlight and looking for guidance please.

Please see the attached picture of current curcuit and the circuit of spotlight (black coloured).
    P.S. It's a new home and not sure if CO alarm and fire alarm are linked to this?

20210505-164752.jpg
    20210505-164951.jpg

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Hello All,

I am planning to install Spotlight and looking for guidance please.

Please see the attached picture of current curcuit and the circuit of spotlight (black coloured).
    P.S. It's a new home and not sure if CO alarm and fire alarm are linked to this?

20210505-164752.jpg
    20210505-164951.jpg

Many thanks

Brown - L
    Blue - n
    Yellow green - earth , denoted by weird looking symbol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks,

The current curcuit has two Blue (N) and two Yellow green (Earth). Do both of these wires go into the single cavity of N and Earth of the new spotlight?
    kramer1 wrote: »
    Brown - L
    Blue - n
    Yellow green - earth , denoted by weird looking symbol

Thanks,

The current curcuit has two Blue (N) and two Yellow green (Earth). Do both of these wires go into the single cavity of N and Earth of the new spotlight?

Yes

Also, is there need for connector block?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Also, is there need for connector block?

The connector block is on the fitting.
    2 Pieces of advice.
    1. Kill the circuit at the fuse board, don't rely on the switch in the room.
    2. When you remove the ceiling rose, see if you can find the ceiling joist/batten and fix your mounting bracket to that.

• Advertisement

The connector block is fixed on the plastic circuit. I can't use it again when i remove the current rose fitting. Is this ok?
    The Mulk wrote: »
    The connector block is on the fitting.
    2 Pieces of advice.
    1. Kill the circuit at the fuse board, don't rely on the switch in the room.
    2. When you remove the ceiling rose, see if you can find the ceiling joist/batten and fix your mounting bracket to that.

It's up and running perfectly.

Thanks a million Mulk and Kramer!

Cheers

It's up and running perfectly.

Thanks a million Mulk and Kramer!

Cheers

No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Hopefully the OP doesn't mind if I resurrect this thread for some similar advice. I've almost the same situation in my hallway, I'm replacing the existing hanging light with a flush mounted fixture, there are 3 blue wires, 4 brown wires and 2 green/yellow wires(see photo). All to go into one tiny connector on the new fitting. Do I just twist together the exposed similar coloured wires and try to shove them into the tiny connector? Also the brown wire with the grey coating is concerning me. Is this another live wire and should I be putting that with the other blue wires?

553963.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Chavez.

You've got looped feeds and a switched live to turn on the light

Not a great system for a householder trying to change a light

Don't twist the solid conductors together

• Advertisement

I don't know what solid conductors are. Should I just call an electrician then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Chavez.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I don't know what solid conductors are. Should I just call an electrician then?

I would for that type wiring, it's too awkward for most

The other system of t+e looped at the switch and up to the light is simpler for changing fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So you need connectors, did you number or mark the browns that were together and alone on the previous fitting or lamp holder?

There is a two way I'm guessing where two switches control the shown light.....

2 or 3 of the browns were most likely together in a connector block, if you know which ones then it's easy, other wise it will be trial and error toll you find the right ones to link together.

If you have no connectors you will get in any electrical store or even likes of woodies.
    If you can get Wago connectors, they're great.

Thanks for the advice guys. I had already pulled out the wires and didn't take a note so I don't wanna chance it. One of the neighbours here is a spark and I don't wanna be electrocuting myself so I'll give him a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

An educated guess

Put all the blue wires in a connector block
    Put all the earth wires in another connector block
    Put all the short brown wires in another connector block
    Put the long (brown wire with grey coating)brown wire in another connector block

Connection of the light fitting :-
    Earth on fitting to earth connector block
    Neutral on fitting to neutral connector block (blue)
    Live on fitting to single wire in connector block(brown wire with grey coating)

The connector block with 3 brown wires is unused (although will have a permanent power supply)

As other posters have said

Make sure the power is turned off at the distribution board

Mine was much simpler and it worked with the help i got here.

If in doubt, please don't proceed!
    Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys. I had already pulled out the wires and didn't take a note so I don't wanna chance it. One of the neighbours here is a spark and I don't wanna be electrocuting myself so I'll give him a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

With many of these larger light fittings, you can actually leave the base of the original ceiling rose fitted. Unscrew the two screws, fit the metal bracket and screw the whole lot back up. Then just use two core cable which was feeding the old light to feed onto the new block connector. You might also need to run and earth.

Advertisement