Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet Afton to be discontinued......

• 15-08-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭

Bought my pack of Aftons this morning to be confronted with a sticker on the pack which said:

"Thank you for your loyalty,unfortunately Sweet Afton will not be available in the future. However Major
    our other Irish brand with similar tobacco will still be widely available for purchase"

Well fcuk you BAT is all I have to say........:mad:

Seven Worlds will Collide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

do you know where to get them in dublin ?

might give them a send off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Can ou get them in most shops when are they stopping

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Just a heads up I picked them up in Desmonds on Talbot street there two weeks ago , nothing special but definitely worth it if they're going to be discontinued

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

Sweet Afton! Old style! Wiki!
    Brand History

The Sweet Afton brand was launched by Carroll's in 1919 to celebrate the link between Dundalk and the national poet of Scotland, Robert Burns. Burns' eldest sister, Agnes, lived in Dundalk from 1817 until her death in 1834 and was buried in the cemetery of St. Nicholas's Church in the town. Carroll's thought that the brand would only be successful in Scotland if the carton simply had an image of Burns, or Scottish name on the packet, so the people of Dundalk were canvassed and the name Sweet Afton was chosen.[2] The name is taken from Burns' poem "Sweet Afton", which itself takes its title from the poem's first stanza:
    Flow gently, sweet Afton, amang thy green braes
    Flow gently, I’ll sing thee a song in thy praise
    My Mary’s asleep by they murmuring stream
    Flow gently, sweet Afton, disturb not her dream.
    Popular culture

The brand proved particularly popular with post World War II Rive Gauche Paris. Not only was it reputed to be Sartre's preferred cigarette, Sweet Afton features prominently in a Louis Malle's Le Feu follet and a number of Nouvelle Vague films.[3] Margot Tenenbaum (played by Gwyneth Paltrow) from Wes Anderson's 2001 film The Royal Tenenbaums also smokes Sweet Aftons.
    In mid-2009, a restaurant & bar opened in Astoria/Queens, New York City under the name Sweet Afton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I was in the cash and carry yesterday and they tell me sweet afton is now finished from the manufacturers.

Its only whats left on the shelves in the shops now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Jesus my grandfather smoked these. He smoked them since he was 12 and I remember how black his fingers were from them. He's dead 11 years now and it's one thing that always reminded me of him.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

They were the first cigarette brand I ever smoked, I used to nick some from dad years ago. Christ, it seemed like they were on the go forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

mongoman wrote: »
    Christ, it seemed like they were on the go forever.

Since 1919 seemingly

Beginning to get scarce now

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭crank_1975

All,

My Dad has smoked Sweet Afton all his life but his local Spar said that they are no longer being sold. Can anyone confirm if this is the case and if not where could I get some as most of the shops don't seem to have them anymore. I tried ringing PJ Carroll but the number online seems to have been disconnected.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ifitburwilll

crank_1975 wrote: »
    All,

My Dad has smoked Sweet Afton all his life but his local Spar said that they are no longer being sold. Can anyone confirm if this is the case and if not where could I get some as most of the shops don't seem to have them anymore. I tried ringing PJ Carroll but the number online seems to have been disconnected.

The Spar is correct The only non tipped cigarette left is Players Navy cut

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

i work in a shop in the IFSC and we still sell them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ifitburwilll

username_x wrote: »

yeah you are just using up old stock. so smokers take note no more afton. its going the way of the mint choc ice,

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭ZombieMed

username_x wrote: »

Hey, does your shop still have Sweet Afton in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭crank_1975

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but does anyone know of anywhere that still has Sweet Afton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but does anyone know of anywhere that still has Sweet Afton?

I know that this thread is ancient, but I am aware of two places in the west of Ireland. Gleeson's Spar on Henry Street, Limerick still sells the loose variety, while the Irish House in Kilkee still has a few twenty boxes in stock, so all I can say is get here fast!!!

It'll be a sad day for me when all remaining stocks finally dry up. Cigarettes and tobacco are just not the same anymore, really declining in quality in the last few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

We have one packet left on our shop in Lifford Co. Dongeal if anybody still wants/needs them :p

We have one packet left on our shop in Lifford Co. Dongeal if anybody still wants/needs them :p

If I send you cash could you post? I'm in Limerick and Donegal is a bit of a trek for a box of fags

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Not a problem, what way do you want to pay lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Probably best to move this to PM, guys.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Probably best to move this to PM, guys.

Will do, no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

I'll always remember my granda smoking these with a pint of stout for him & a rock shandy & bag of pub crisps for us

• Registered Users Posts: 23 perth112

Does anyone know if Players Navy Cut is still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DanG76

What next, Parma Violets?

erth112 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Players Navy Cut is still available?

Yes - not everywhere stocks them but readily available (I smoke them)

Pricey - 9.85

• Registered Users Posts: 23 perth112

Yes - not everywhere stocks them but readily available (I smoke them)

Pricey - 9.85

Thanks, which shops/supermarket chains stock them? (Dublin/Kildare Area)

I have got them in some Tesco Branches, problem is that as they're a low seller some shop assistants don't know that they have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 John Farmer

The sweet afton were a Good smoke always... I did smoke them myself from time to time... as I was not a heavy smoker back in the early 1990's..

I did know of a Lady quite well in her late 20's more likely early 30's who always smoked them that was back in the early 1990's ... She used to smoke Major filtered cigarettes, but found they were not non tipped/filtered and strong enough so she changed over to Aftons... She used to tip the end of the cigarette off the packet or box for any loose flakes and then smoked it, you probably did Likewise ?? .... She once told me they were the best brand of cigarettes available....

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement