Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Jump-start Power Bank with Compressor - 69.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Invincible

adm wrote: »
    Has anyone got one of these? Do they work on a totally flat car battery?

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=12231

You'll need to check if its output is sufficient if you have a diesel engine, which needs more amps to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

According to this ad for one on Ebay, it's suitable for petrol engines up to 2000cc and diesels up to 1600cc. If the car battery is fully discharged though, the starter would struggle at the higher end.

If you're just looking for a starter which should work for pretty much any car/van you'd probably want to look for around 500A, like this one on Amazon UK, with parcel motel it'll be around the same price, but there's no compressor.

Also, these have to be charged up pretty frequently or the battery will go bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

ectoraige wrote: »
    According to this ad for one on Ebay, it's suitable for petrol engines up to 2000cc and diesels up to 1600cc. If the car battery is fully discharged though, the starter would struggle at the higher end.

If you're just looking for a starter which should work for pretty much any car/van you'd probably want to look for around 500A, like this one on Amazon UK, with parcel motel it'll be around the same price, but there's no compressor.

This won't ship to the PM address. Most of these devices on Amazon won't due to restrictions on shipping batteries.

SBS wrote: »
    Also, these have to be charged up pretty frequently or the battery will go bad.

These devices use Li-Ion batteries so they aren't like the older bulky chargers that did need to be recharged every month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

They do go flat though. I have a similar one and went to help a mate about three months after buying it (and charging it) and it was dead.

Still great to have if you keep it charged.

blastman wrote: »
    This won't ship to the PM address. Most of these devices on Amazon won't due to restrictions on shipping batteries.

I forgot about that.

As it happens, google ads threw up Suaoki, I'd had a look at them before as I was looking for a jump starter previously and it's the one I was going to buy at the time. They have a decent enough reputation and they ship to the UK with no distinction between NI and mainland. However, they do use Amazon for some of their shipping so maybe NI is actually excluded, but it seems to allow you to place the order.

They do free shipping so OP get a 400A starter and a 10-bar compressor delivered to PM for €69.17

• Registered Users Posts: 40,088 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XBGPGKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and had no issue getting it shipped to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XBGPGKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and had no issue getting it shipped to ireland.

It says on that page that "This item does not ship to Ireland" Riddle me that:D.

It says on that page that "This item does not ship to Ireland" Riddle me that:D.

Ah well. they did when i bought mine :)

• Advertisement

I forgot about that.

They do free shipping so OP get a 400A starter and a 10-bar compressor delivered to PM for €69.17

Plus the PM charge :D

Thanks for that, though, I might go for this charger instead of the Lidl one, looks to be a neater job.

Plus the PM charge :D

Thanks for that, though, I might go for this charger instead of the Lidl one, looks to be a neater job.

They have a couple of different chargers on their site, only reason I don't end up buying was funds so I'd be interested in what they are like and if there's any problems shipping. They have a smaller compressor too, not as powerful but very tidy looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭ozmo

They have a couple of different chargers on their site, only reason I don't end up buying was funds so I'd be interested in what they are like and if there's any problems shipping. They have a smaller compressor too, not as powerful but very tidy looking.

Ordered the starter yesterday, I'll keep you posted.

Ordered the starter yesterday, I'll keep you posted.

Starter was in my Parcel Motel locker last night, very impressive delivery from the US! Nice neat device, fits into a back pocket comfortably and seems to be well put together. Haven't tried to start any cars with it yet, but for 20 quid less than the one Lidl were selling (allbeit without the compressor that one has), it looks like a good deal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If I were you I'd test it before you need it.

I bought one from Amazon last year and it just didn't work - no . Had to send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,679 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Starter was in my Parcel Motel locker last night, very impressive delivery from the US! Nice neat device, fits into a back pocket comfortably and seems to be well put together. Haven't tried to start any cars with it yet

Looks like a neat device but I am skeptical about performance. Capacity is tiny with only 8Ah, that's just a bit more than twice that of a decent mobile phone :D

I'd say it would need recharging pretty much after every time you jump start a car with it

Also there are better options from that link.

This one has the same 400A peak but has 12Ah (50% more) capacity and is only $44.99

Linky

And this one has a huge 800A peak and 15Ah for only $69.99

Linky

Shipment is free, right? I have to say I'm tempted...

unkel wrote: »

This one has the same 400A peak but has 12Ah (50% more) capacity and is only $44.99

Linky

Linky

The US plug version is 69.99. When you select UK plug the price goes to 99.99

Found it on Amazon UK as well. £59.99 for the 800A / 15Ah one with free shipping and that unbeatable Amazon warranty. Very tempted to pull the trigger

Linky

• Advertisement

Found it on Amazon UK as well. £59.99 for the 800A / 15Ah one with free shipping and that unbeatable Amazon warranty. Very tempted to pull the trigger

Linky

amazon wont ship that to ireland. It says so on the right hand side.

Yes, just found out :(

They won't ship them to Northern Ireland (Parcel Motel) either. I guess that is because of the lithium batteries.

Ordering from the US seems to work though, blastman received his.

Yes, just found out :(

They won't ship them to Northern Ireland (Parcel Motel) either. I guess that is because of the lithium batteries.

Ordering from the US seems to work though, blastman received his.

what about addresspal? that uses a uk mainland address

Starter was in my Parcel Motel locker last night, very impressive delivery from the US! Nice neat device, fits into a back pocket comfortably and seems to be well put together. Haven't tried to start any cars with it yet, but for 20 quid less than the one Lidl were selling (allbeit without the compressor that one has), it looks like a good deal.

Now just leave your lights on overnight and tell us how well it work :pac:

Good to know it was delivered promptly and without issue.

what about addresspal? that uses a uk mainland address

Yeah that's working, thanks for the tip, hadn't setup with Addresspal before. Handy to have :)

Now to decide which one to get!

Linky

Linky

First one you linked doesn't ship to the UK and there's no option for a UK plug. This might be an issue as it doesn't look like it uses a micro-USB connection to charge itself. Second one looks good but way more than I need, plus you'd probably have to order the UK plug for the same reason, making it a bit pricey.

Amazon UK has similar prices as the ones from the US with the US plug (so a lot cheaper than the ones with the UK plug), comes with a UK plug and ships to UK mainland for free (plus a €3.75 Addresspal charge). And that Amazon warranty!

I know where I will be getting mine :D

Picked up this earlier for £21.99 incl. shipping on a lightning deal. Had to set myself up for Addresspal for a UK mainland address (thanks ohnonotgmail :)) which adds €3.75 to that.

61XmDNtGKSL._SL1048_.jpg

Linky

Read reviews online and it gets favourable reviews, very similar to the other make similar spec but far more expensive ones mentioned here. I already have a cigarette lighter compressor

And if it goes bang / is not up to scratch, it will go straight back to Amazon (freepost) for a full refund. Can't go wrong here really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd go for a higher power one...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Higher power as in higher max amps? 400A is supposed to be sufficient for a 2.5l petrol car according to the specs

I'll be using it for 20 year old car with a 2.5l flat 6 engine and for a 32 year old car with a 2.6l straight 6 engine, both only occasionally driven and both with a battery that is far from brand new / perfect. If it ain't up to scratch, it'll go back. I reckon it will be ok, but I expect to charge it up fully after each successful jumpstart

What car / engine are you planning to use it for?

Advertisement