Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky broadband in Ireland

• 17-04-2012 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rumplestilskin

A friend just told me he had two guys at his door saying they were from Sky offering
    "sky broadband" this was in Tipp town. Don't know it was legit or just two con men. They said you would have to sign up with a new contract.

This was today by the way.
    Does anyone know if this is real cos if so sign me up.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dont sign up its a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 molly1507

Cannot see how Sky themselves not telling the all of Ireland.
    I would be among the first to sign up. Especially Tipperary. Last as port of call for most of the broadband advances in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I've seen these sky guys going around door to door,the seem genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 laylaclaus

I had SKY reps call to me in Dublin last week to encourage me to switch to SKY from UPC. I told them I had broadband as well with UPC & i was told SKY will be launching broadband - with great deals - in Ireland in coming months, probably Sept. They seemed genuine & did not try a hard sell on me. I would be interested in switching to Sky if they did broadband too.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hamco

Dont sign up its a scam.

What is the scam? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Sky do not have any broadband in the rep of Ireland, and they havent told any of us installers of any plans on doing so, so any rep coming to your door that says otherwise is lying to try and get you to sign up. Its a complete scam.

In order for sky to offer broadband they will need to buy or create a telco such as Eircom and even if they did it still doesnt mean they would provide broadband in your area, and definetly wouldnt if you are in an isolated area.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

It is true, Sky will be offering broadband in Ireland in the very near future. Recent legislation has now made it mandatory for the likes of eircom to open up their infratstructure to provide access to wholesale services to their comptetitors. This means companies such as Sky will be rebranding the services and selling them on, perhaps even at a cheaper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

mac_daddy wrote: »
    It is true, Sky will be offering broadband in Ireland in the very near future. Recent legislation has now made it mandatory for the likes of eircom to open up their infratstructure to provide access to wholesale services to their comptetitors. This means companies such as Sky will be rebranding the services and selling them on, perhaps even at a cheaper price.

Hilarious stuff, complete rubbish that whole post. :D

Eircom have been providing wholesale dsl to other providers for years, how do you think all the other providers are able to provide dsl in all the exchanges Eircom can? Sure there is some LLU exchanges where providers like smart have their own equipment but the vast majority have just Eircom equipment. This "sky broadband coming to Ireland" topic comes up every year or so in Broadband section and it's always bollocks, if Sky did decide to start providing broadband you could be dam sure their marketing budget will be big enough to hear about it from legitimate sources.

So what part of that fluff piece makes any of your rambling post about changes in legislation relevant :D?
    Sure Sky may decide to offer broadband here at some stage in the future but any promises of such from anywhere other than sky themselves are bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

"fluff", "rampling".... your a friendly chap smellslikeshoes, if not a bit offensive and highly strung... is it really that big a deal??

I am purely stating that Sky are looking into utilising one of the wholesale offerings so they can provide broadband services... get over it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

steveon wrote: »
    In order for sky to offer broadband they will need to buy or create a telco such as Eircom and even if they did it still doesnt mean they would provide broadband in your area, and definetly wouldnt if you are in an isolated area.

Sky will be reselling BB products, so if you can currently get BB from any of the copper providers/re-sellers you would be able to get Sky BB.
    They dont need to buy or create anything, they just re-sell like so many other operators.

Man.. suppose it depends on your definition of recent :pac::pac:

"fluff", "rampling".... your a friendly chap smellslikeshoes, if not a bit offensive and highly strung... is it really that big a deal??

I am purely stating that Sky are looking into utilising one of the wholesale offerings so they can provide broadband services... get over it.

There is a massive difference between what you said there and what you said previously, "It is true, Sky will be offering broadband in Ireland in the very near future". Posting speculation like that as fact does nothing but give scammers like mentioned in the original post traction to scam people.

If we deal with facts here. Sky mentioned they were talking with telcos 4 months ago without any substantial information on it and there has been nothing since. Anyone at your door who mentions sky broadband are scam artists or lying door to door salesmen, take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 molly1507

Although improbable does seem believable the Times seems like a good souse.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Keithl2156

Hello everyone :)Saw this on sky site just now. It has been confirmed that broadband and talk will be launching in the ROI.

I will post the link in a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Keithl2156

Jckmck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭pooch90

Could you try that again OP? Would be great if Sky BB was available here, so sick of eircom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭ Omar Silly Mimosa

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

do you lads think it will be in the country side ? will it be dsl or fibre optic and would the upload speed still be pretty terrible .? sky uk broaband is unreal compared to eircom

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No point getting excited. They are going to use the exact crappy dsl infrastructure that we already have (thanks to eircom) and not a chance they'll be 100 percent coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

but there in a deal with bt ?

Advertisement