Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

No reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Buy it from a cheaper santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Thanks Astra, I did, but the question remains: is there any difference, apart from colour and price between the two??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭moby2101

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'm getting a Garmin Edge 500 from Santa. They seem to come in 2 colours, grey/blue and red/black. The red/black one is dearer. Can anyone tell me why this is, please?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44124

I've seen it in numerous different colour combos, my own is black/white..They tend to market them on the basis of the colours used bt the garmin transition/garmin cervelo teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

According to
    this
    the black and white is the same price as the blue, both without HRM and cadence sensors, but the red is dearer than the blue both with HRM and cadence, however the red ones sensors are 'premium' not the same as the blue. ;)

Thanks Marketty. I think you've cracked it.
    30 yoyos seems a big price to pay for a "soft" strap.
    However, The black/red one matches my bikes better.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

are you worth it, considering the HRM straps are only a 10 euro in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

marketty wrote: »
    According to
    this
    the black and white is the same price as the blue, both without HRM and cadence sensors, but the red is dearer than the blue both with HRM and cadence, however the red ones sensors are 'premium' not the same as the blue. ;)

Only the heart rate monitor is different I think and you can buy a premimum one separately on handtec (which seems cheapest for these) for £34.98. A replacement standard HRM costs £32.28 so that should mean that the difference between the red and blue bundles should be £2.70. The actual difference between the bundles (again on handtec) is £42. You can therefore buy the blue 500 bundle and an extra premium heart rate monitor (keeping the standard as a spare) for £9.72 less than the red 500 bundle.
    I really can't work out why the red 500 costs any more than the blue other than to make people fork out more dosh to have all of there kit matching colours! They've realised cyclists can be vain (lets face it we are) and are cashing in:D

PCX your dead right they are ripping you a bit by charging that much extra when as you say the difference should only be small, you have the right idea with buying separately!
    Colour coordination however is of the utmost importance :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I'm getting a Garmin Edge 500 from Santa
    why do you need an edge,i have been resisting spending €300 on one,i have all the carbon bits wheels,shoes etc and i use a HR monitor are they worth it ?

Again thank you Marketty. Colour coordination is very important. And yes, not sane,I am worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Best thing I ever got is the garmin 500. Lovely piece of kit.

As for colour corridination. That's very important. Lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

I'm in a pickle now. i have a red and black bike, i want the red and black garmin edge 500, but the silver/blue one i can get for £70 less so circa €90.

what should I do?????????

is it worth the extra €90 for the colour?

Cheers,
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Nope. You're next bike might be white and blue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭moby2101

heartratemonitor.co.uk/garmin_edge_500_red_black.html

Check this out ..might be a cheaper option for ya.

well its £155.99 for the silver/blue edge 500 with HRM and cadence and I'm sending it to a uk address and it will be brought home from me from there next week so i dont think ill beat that in fairness. but thanks

what should I do?????????

is it worth the extra €90 for the colour?

Cheers,
    Tom

Only you can really answer that for yourself. It wouldn't be worth it for me but if it's going to annoy you every time you get on your bike then maybe it is for you. It's not a huge amount of money if you can afford it and it makes you happy.

Look at how much money some spend on the latest seasons fashions. Some people think that's a total waste of money but it's a world wide multi billion dollar industry so an awful lot of people obviously don't agree.

If you are prepared to wait a while then the price of the red and black model may come down in the new year.

i guess so. I have the money, but I'm not a money waster and although i think it probably would annoy me, im starting to come round to the idea that i can't justify the extra €90 really for the same product in a different colour

Plastik wrote: »
    Nope. You're next bike might be white and blue :)

it will be a while before that happens ive just recently bough it and love it.:D

• Advertisement

The only thing, I have going for me is colour coordination. So I got the black/red one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why not just change your bike to match the colour of your garmin...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Why not just change your bike to match the colour of your garmin...

In all fairness this is the only sensible option, it would be crazy to buy the dearer garmin for your 'old' bike. Much better to save the €90 and then spend 2-3 thousand on a nice blue and white bike.
    Duh. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vrs

The only thing, I have going for me is colour coordination. So I got the black/red one.

Was thinking of buying the black/red one myself, where did you buy and how much?

I bought it on Ebay. It was ordered on a Friday and arrived on my doorstep
    the following Wednesday.
    Here's the link

http://www.ebay.ie:80/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270859141777&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:1123

I bought it on Ebay. It was ordered on a Friday and arrived on my doorstep
    the following Wednesday.
    Here's the link

http://www.ebay.ie:80/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270859141777&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:1123

Did you have to pay and customs duty or VAT on that? I take it it was delivered from outside the EU. If you did I imagine that it'd add on a fair whack.
    I've had a large bill a couple of times when getting stuff imported from the states.

It was sent from Australia, I think, but certainly from outside EU.
    I didn't have to pay any extras.

When I was looking on Ebay, The Garmin was available cheaper on another site, but in the small print, it stated, that some of the functions were in Chinese. So be careful.

I'm delighted with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

It can be a problem buying a garmin from ebay. The warranty department of Garmin only recognizes devices from authorised dealers, so if you are buying one from ebay make sure to check that the seller can back you up in case of a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Heart-Monitor-Cadence-Sensor/dp/B002O0QBN4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325594650&sr=8-2

Above link to Amazon.co.uk. Think it works out at €210 total delivered, blue version with HRM and cadence sensor. Cheapest I've found. I think I'll take the plunge. One question to owners of the 500, are they totally waterproof, are they able for our ****ty weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

greenmat wrote: »
    One question to owners of the 500, are they totally waterproof, are they able for our ****ty weather?

Mine is always on the bike and hasn't given any trouble. It's been out in some fairly horrible weather.

Advertisement