Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Big game hunting": ticks on cats

• 27-02-2009 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Wondering how widespread the problem is of ticks?

We live in a rural place; as we have done in different areas of Donegal for some years; sheep country.

In the last five years, the number of ticks has escalated massively.

And they stick to the cats in numbers.

And occasionally we get bitten of course.

And see them walking towards us.....

They carry no disease, thankfully, but..

I have become adept at finding them on the two long-haired cats, and at removing them, with a pair of tweezers.

The new tick season has began already.

Is there anything that will prevent them? We are seeing several a week already.

We gather that either farmers are not dipping their sheep for long enough; or that ticks have become resistant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

sorella wrote: »
    Wondering how widespread the problem is of ticks?

And occasionally we get bitten of course.

They carry no disease, thankfully, but..

Unfortunately ticks can carry disease - google 'lymes disease'.

A few people, hunters in particular, in Ireland, have contracted this disease from ticks. It can be very dangerous and is not easy to diagnose as it is not very common. The symptoms are flu like so it may not be spotted in the first instance by a doctor. However, once diagnosed Lymes Disease can take months to get over.
    Be very careful when you come in from the fields if there are alot of ticks in the area. Check yourself over to ensure you have no ticks on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Numbers are very low; we looked into that. And this is coming from deer, not sheep.

If this were so all our cats and dogs would be sick, as well as me, and that is not so.

We are not alarmist on that.

Is there any way to prevent them?

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    Unfortunately ticks can carry disease - google 'lymes disease'.

A few people, hunters in particular, in Ireland, have contracted this disease from ticks. It can be very dangerous and is not easy to diagnose as it is not very common. The symptoms are flu like so it may not be spotted in the first instance by a doctor. However, once diagnosed Lymes Disease can take months to get over.
    Be very careful when you come in from the fields if there are alot of ticks in the area. Check yourself over to ensure you have no ticks on you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Talk to your local vet about it.

I think there used to be a treatment for ticks years ago, but I'm not sure it it's still on the market (new regulations re, products and all that). Vet will tell you.

Well, we are so far from any vet that we prefer OTC stuff and more natural remedies; and there is so much wisdom and experience on these pages...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

I have the same problem with my cats, just took 3 ticks off one of them today.. i usually just give them flee treatment and the ticks dont seem to stick but they do still crawl round on the fur.. there ugly littlle buggers but its all just part of living in the country...

• Advertisement

Thank you!

Yes, and as the cats love my bed, the wee things crawl to find flesh; tiny chocolate brown spider things that are too hard to crush.

We will try the flea stuff. Else simply do as we are doing.

Just is epidemic these days; never had this until about five years ago.

Now I am itching!!!!
    I have the same problem with my cats, just took 3 ticks off one of them today.. i usually just give them flee treatment and the ticks dont seem to stick but they do still crawl round on the fur.. there ugly littlle buggers but its all just part of living in the country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I know you can use rose geranium on dogs but have just found out its not good for cats.

You could try one of these collars. It says that they are tick and flea repellant.
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/flea_and_tick_protection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Vets generally recommend Frontline treatment for ticks.
    http://frontline.uk.merial.com/

Theyre horrible little feckers, i hate them and yes unfortunately they do spread disease. Its not that common but as a previous poster said it is possible for them to spread Lymes Disease.

Also, be careful when using a tweezers to take them out. Sometimes the head can be left under the skin causing infection. You're better off using a tissue and twisting it until it releases its mouth.

Thank you.

Very rare thankfully in this country

See

http://www.ucd.ie/agri/html/homepage/research_96_99/research_1998_99/ERM/ERM05.html

Most of the cases here are contracted in the US.

And here, it seems to be the deer population that is carrying Lymes

I have had four bites in the last three years; one a couple of weeks ago.

I use tissue when i cannot swiftly find the tweezers, and yes, entire. Whereupon they are incinerated or flushed.

Someone has told me that if you touch them with surgical spirit they let go.

Also local farmers now use the liquid on the sheep's backs rather than dipping.

We hate using chemicals but sometimes needs must

anniehoo wrote: »
    Vets generally recommend Frontline treatment for ticks.
    http://frontline.uk.merial.com/

Theyre horrible little feckers, i hate them and yes unfortunately they do spread disease. Its not that common but as a previous poster said it is possible for them to spread Lymes Disease.

Also, be careful when using a tweezers to take them out. Sometimes the head can be left under the skin causing infection. You're better off using a tissue and twisting it until it releases its mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I heard if you cover them totally with vasaline, they cannot breathe and will just drop off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

www.chemistdirect.co.uk is good for cheap pet supplies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I've tried surgical spirits and vaseline and neither works! Tweezers are only good if you catch them before they fill up with blood, otherwise they squish.
    I've just bought a tick remover - it's a handle with two wires that gradually narrow together, with a v. narrow neck where you slide the tick into and then pull him out. Waiting for a cat to bring in the first tick of the season to try it out on...
    My cats usually pick up fleas too, so I'll be using frontline this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I heard if you cover them totally with vasaline, they cannot breathe and will just drop off.

No this just makes them burrow in further!

Ah now; I am a dab hand with the tweezers after all the practice I have had!

You tweeze at the mouth end; cannto get them out until they are swollen enough to grasp.

Feel free to try your gadget out here!!!

The first time we saw them we had no idea what these strange lumps on the cats' faces were.

Even in Canada they don't have ticks like Irish ticks....
    planetX wrote: »
    I've tried surgical spirits and vaseline and neither works! Tweezers are only good if you catch them before they fill up with blood, otherwise they squish.
    I've just bought a tick remover - it's a handle with two wires that gradually narrow together, with a v. narrow neck where you slide the tick into and then pull him out. Waiting for a cat to bring in the first tick of the season to try it out on...
    My cats usually pick up fleas too, so I'll be using frontline this year.

Advertisement