Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not getting paid

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Thanks everyone, I was disheartened and upset as its so close to Christmas and yes, twice is not on at all.
    The manager is really nice and ive no doubt this was a mistake on his part and I will get what im owed. I went to him today and told him that I was really relying on my pay and have no other money. He agreed to write a check for two weeks pay so thats it sorted for now.
    Thank for the advice.

You need to cash that cheque ASAP. And you need to make sure your Social Insurance has been paid.

Just because someone is nice, doesn't mean they won't do someone over. Just because someone promises something doesn't mean they will do it.

This is a business arrangement. You are exchanging your labour for his money. At the moment he has had your labour but hasn't paid you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Thanks everyone, I was disheartened and upset as its so close to Christmas and yes, twice is not on at all.
    The manager is really nice and ive no doubt this was a mistake on his part and I will get what im owed. I went to him today and told him that I was really relying on my pay and have no other money. He agreed to write a check for two weeks pay so thats it sorted for now.
    Thank for the advice.

A cheque will have to be lodged and cleared , that could take 5 working days.

I would have demanded payment via EFT into your bank account, not that difficult to do, plus its his mistake( twice) not acceptable.

Get the CV done up and get a new job, sounds like your working for a mickey mouse operation.

No disrespect to you though, your manager sounds incompetent , not to put through your salary twice is a RED flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Why only two weeks, were you not owed more?

Yes im owed a months pay, the only way im looking at it is when I do get paid properly in two weeks, ill get 4 weeks pay all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Yes im owed a months pay, the only way im looking at it is when I do get paid properly in two weeks, ill get 4 weeks pay all at once.

make sure you remind him to put in your hours. you don't want to be left with no wages that close to christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I'd be happier if the full four weeks arrears were paid in full by electronic funds transfer into my account. While a cheque is credited to your account when lodged, the amount can be debited again if the cheque doesn't clear.

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    make sure you remind him to put in your hours. you don't want to be left with no wages that close to christmas.

Exactly. You are now fully within your rights to ask what date he needs to forward your information to payroll. ALSO make sure he includes ALL the hours due, just in case he "forgets". Check with him on deadline day again the hours have been put through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Nice don't pay the rent!

That is YOUR money, no simple way of saying it...YOUR MONEY!

Work done, f**k you pay me!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGAmPRxV48

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

qwerty13 wrote: »
    Mrs O’Bumble on this forum is I think a HR practitioner. Be interested to read her views.

I'm not! (Just a former public servant working on labour market issues, former union delegate, former manager, and now a mix of contractor / temp depending on the day .. )

I'd add very little to what was said.

To me this smells of some kind of fraud. Hard to say exactly what, without knowing more about the business.

Except - OP was it a personal or business cheque that he wrote you? Very unusual that a manager would even have a business cheque book, I think. Many people don't even have a personal one, too. Can you ask the bank for priority clearance for it (might be too late now).

And I'd be job hunting. As someone said above, once is a mistake, twice is gross incompetence. If he's doing this with payroll (= a manager's single biggest responsibility), what's he doing to the rest of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Didn’t mean to put you on the spot Mrs O’B. I’ve just always found your posts knowledgeable and to the point.

And a very good point you raise re a personal-v- corporate cheque. I completely agree re job hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

OP, if your employer has been messing you about on wages, then I'd wonder have they been making PRSI returns for you?

I would suggest requesting your PRSI contributions statement from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP). It can be done online at www.mywelfare.ie.

A gap in your PRSI contributions record can mean that you don't qualify for some social welfare benefits, like illness benefit, maternity benefit, or the state pension.

If your employer hasn't been making the correct returns, you can make a complaint to the Scope Section in DEASP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,752 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

whats the craic with issuing a cheque ? Presumably you are paid into your bank, so why can’t this individual organize a transfer to your bank ? it will clear slightly quicker and save you the trip to the bank...they fućk up and as a result in the middle of a pandemic you are queuing in a bank because of their incompetence... if it happens again I’d be escalating to the most senior manager going, fûck HR.... once is bad form, twice careless, three times just a gigantic incompetent piss take... to be honest if I was a senior manager and my employee or employees were responsible for somebody not being paid... first time.. verbal, second time written warning, third time... goodnight..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It sounds like a small company but if they have a hr department I would still go to them about this even if it is all paid up. If not I would go to that work welfare place someone brought up. Something is not quite right and you are way way way too nice about it.

Your manager is a dangerous person, being nice does not veto him from 2 horrendous oversights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Thanks everyone, he's not a dangerous person and he is making PRSI returns, to be honest I dont think he has any control over that, he simply puts all the staffs names into the computer and the payment sector deal with it from there. He just forgot to put my name in but all is sorted now and im sure it wont happen again, if it does, ill have words with him. Thanks again everyone for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

As most others have stated....this simply is not acceptable. First time is bad enough but to do it again is disgraceful.

I have a team of 16 people and the most important task above all else is making sure that their hours / on-call / any payments due are logged correctly on time so nobody gets left short on my account.

Really piss poor of any manager at any time but especially so coming up to Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

What size of a company is this? Messing around with salary like this is a massive red flag. I'd be looking elsewhere, it doesn't sound like this company is liquid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

h2005 wrote: »
    What size of a company is this? Messing around with salary like this is a massive red flag. I'd be looking elsewhere, it doesn't sound like this company is liquid

You base that on this thread?

Wow.

Did you even bother to read the final post of the op or just jump in with an utterly ridiculous ASSumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Thanks everyone, he's not a dangerous person and he is making PRSI returns, to be honest I dont think he has any control over that, he simply puts all the staffs names into the computer and the payment sector deal with it from there. He just forgot to put my name in but all is sorted now and im sure it wont happen again, if it does, ill have words with him. Thanks again everyone for the replies.

Sorry but that is not on. I have been a small business owner a few times and if I ****ed up paying one of my lads even once I would have met them, immediately, with my own cash. Putting up with not being paid for over a month and then getting just a fraction of what you are owed....? If you don't mind me asking, OP, are you quite young/is this your first job?

Edit: I would echo (and I appreciate this is an easy thing for a randomer on the internet to say, but seriously..) the advice to look for alternative employment. A boss's primary concern is making sure his people are paid on time, what they are owed. If not GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Darc19 wrote: »

Wow.

Did you even bother to read the final post of the op or just jump in with an utterly ridiculous ASSumption?

I am in agreement with the person you are ripping into.

I read the OP posts. There is still nothing acceptable about it. "Forgetting" to put someone on the payroll is no oversight.

It stinks of gross incompetence, cash flow problems or some stroke that I haven't figured out.

The "manager" has written out a cheque (unclear whether personal or business) for 2 weeks pay. The OP is owed a months pay, so I gather they are paid fortnightly. The try on's keep on coming. Who in their right mind thinks its acceptable to say sorry I forgot to put you in again and not offer an immediate resolution. Either way this cheque doesn't comprise PRSI etc and is a mess in a few weeks.

WOW indeed.

Wow.

I read the first post and replied. Jesus your life must be pretty miserable if that's your response to a post :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

h2005 wrote: »
    I read the first post and replied. Jesus your life must be pretty miserable if that's your response to a post :eek:

So you can tell the financial health of a company by a couple of posts and the poster accepting it was an error.

As I said Wow!

I'd say something else regarding your post, but would probably banned

• Advertisement

So you can tell the financial health of a company by a couple of posts and the poster accepting it was an error.

As I said Wow!

I'd say something else regarding your post, but would probably banned

I think you need to read my post again. I said what it looked like to me. I’m not really sure why that triggers you so badly that you’re worried about getting banned. Seems a tad of an over reaction 🀷*♂️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lolly25

I left a company 3yrs ago, due to this and guess what? There's nothing you can do about it. That's straight from a WRC adjudicator's mouth. This happened 3 times on a monthly salary with me, and I had to wait a week each time, then the company put out an email telling us that if THEY made a mistake from then on, we'd have to wait until the END of the following month to be paid. Their big excuse was because their wages were processed in England they couldn't exchange info due to GDPR.

Companies in the ROI get off with a litany of crap. I had to jump through hoops to save my credit rating due to missed mortgage payments etc. My advice is get out of it and find another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,752 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

lolly25 wrote: »
    I left a company 3yrs ago, due to this and guess what? There's nothing you can do about it. That's straight from a WRC adjudicator's mouth. This happened 3 times on a monthly salary with me, and I had to wait a week each time, then the company put out an email telling us that if THEY made a mistake from then on, we'd have to wait until the END of the following month to be paid. Their big excuse was because their wages were processed in England they couldn't exchange info due to GDPR.

Companies in the ROI get off with a litany of crap. I had to jump through hoops to save my credit rating due to missed mortgage payments etc. My advice is get out of it and find another job.

I’m willing to bet, nobody in payroll saw a ‘letter of concern’ get added to their file let alone disciplined.

If GDPR is an issue, I’m not sure it should have been though... they need to outsource the Irish payroll to Ireland to get processed and so that any errors, discrepancies or indeed systematic incompetence as in this cases(s) can be handled with proper two way communication that leads to an effective, efficient resolution for the employee.

No good in telling somebody... “ yes we fûcked up, underplayed you by xxx amount but we can’t talk to you about it, neither are we going to rectify it till next months paycheck.“

Irish companies or companies IN Ireland do get off with a litany of crap. Ever ask yourself why so many multinationals set up here ? Sure, the highly educated and industrious workforce is a reason, low corporation tax too but let’s not kid ourselves... the almost non existent employment law, a Labour court / WRC that only really the employer needs to manipulate and whom are loathed to ever take a black and white legal view or determination... for upsetting the apple cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

If he didn't put you in the system, then how can prsi returns be done? Check on your revenue account to see if you are registered with this company at all and what, if any, information they've processed for you. (this is required by law to be done at every payroll cycle)

Advertisement