Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

31 days of geocaching

• 10-07-2013 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10 gjfrazer

So is anyone going to take up the challenge of 31 days of geocaching in August?
    I'm starting planning especially for the ones I need to find after work, my issue will be the last day of August as ill be in the midst of Electric Picnic & there are no geocaches in walking distance of the campsite, anyone got any suggestions?

I'm looking forward to the challenge though as I need to increase my finds from 29 :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

I might aim for 31 caches in August but I won't be able to do one a day. It's getting to the stage where I have to travel further and further to get caches and it's not feasible to be driving miles every evening especially if there's a long hike at the other end!

Maybe you need to encourage someone to place a cache nearby or set up an event cache? I'm not sure what's involved in setting up an event cache - maybe you'd need more time though.

I'm looking to place a few caches this summer but Laois is too far for me to keep an eye on and maintain.

I'm glad I saw this today! I might try and do this challenge. Could be fun!

Like you, I'll be at EP so if you come up with any let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gjfrazer

I'm failing miserably at my challenge of finding a geocache a day for the 31 days challenge, I just didn't have the time to look every day. On the weekends i did manage to find some geocaches in the galway area, Oh well at least i got to increase my stats and i've done more geocaching this month than any other month, I hope to find a few this weekend & next weekend i'll be down in cork so hope to do a bit there too. I'm also planning on hiding my own geocache, just have to find the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

Good on you gjfrazer! I think that's what it's all about really - just encouraging people to get out and do a bit more geocaching. It's probably a lot easier for people in higher density cache areas/countries. Some people are on year long (and longer) caching streaks! I noticed there was a bit of a backlash from some geocaching.com members about the 31 days of geocaching souvenirs cluttering up their profile page - can't please everyone I guess. We managed a few consecutive days caching on the long weekend but since then it's just been either a Saturday or Sunday - we're close to 30 caches this month now but that was mostly thanks to a couple of hiking loops which had 10 caches or so on them.

If you're heading to Cork, I've heard that Youghal is very high density for caches!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gjfrazer

Well Last weekend I was in cork mostly did the geocaching in Ballincollig area, We looked for 4 & found 2, Managed to drop a trackable & Pick up one as well, as for Electric picnic this weekend I didn't get a chance to set anything up oh well, no finds for the end of August. Hopefully I will get out and about in September to increase my finds.

I managed to go from 29 to 34 finds over the month of August thats the best ive ever done in a month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement