Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Objecting to planning

• 11-09-2019 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

If you object to a planning permission notice for a house to be built do you have to give a reason and does the person you’re objecting to know who did it ie can you do it anonymously

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Ralphyroo wrote: »
    If you object to a planning permission notice for a house to be built do you have to give a reason and does the person you’re objecting to know who did it ie can you do it anonymously

Observations are a matter of public record and published by the local authority. Your observations should include concerns and/or praises of the application

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Not only do you have to give a reason (unless you want your observation tossed in the bin), but that reason has to be grounded in planning law. If you have a serious enough objection then you ought employ someone conversant in constructing your observation on your behalf. If you can get a number of people on board who have a similar objection you can object using the same expert and divide the costs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes, your objection will be on the public file, on the public website and you'll have to pay €20.

Your name and address will need to be attached to the object which is published also.

• Why are you objecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

Why are you objecting?

The house is being built right across from our house on a narrow road they’ll basically be able to look straight into our living room and bedroom and I’m not comfortable with that. Awkward objecting because it’s a neighbours family building it.
    Thanks for all the replies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The house is being built right across from our house on a narrow road they’ll basically be able to look straight into our living room and bedroom and I’m not comfortable with that. Awkward objecting because it’s a neighbours family building it.

What’s more awkward sending in an objection or having some one look in your window for ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

At least you'll be able to stare right back at them!

I'm not sure that's grounds for a valid objection, maybe if they were next door and had a window overlooking you or something, but they're across a public road, where anyone can stare at you right now if they so wish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

TheChizler wrote: »
    At least you'll be able to stare right back at them!

I'm not sure that's grounds for a valid objection, maybe if they were next door and had a window overlooking you or something, but they're across a public road, where anyone can stare at you right now if they so wish.

There are minimum separation distances and over looking

godtabh wrote: »
    What’s more awkward sending in an objection or having some one look in your window for ever?

It will only be for about a year, we’re renting and will be starting to build a bit further up the road at the start of 2020 all being well. So I think I’ll have to weigh it up. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Objecting to someone building across the road from the house you are renting only sort term seems pretty to me.

You are going to start building in the next few months yourself, I'd not bother with it.Nothing to gain really but annimosity .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If you think it would be awkward to object imagine if you did and were successful. You then move somewhere else a year later. If I was the person you'd objected against I'd be well pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Do you have planning permission for the house you will build soon?
    If not then if u object to the neighbors house then you can be full sure that they will object to any application you make in the future.

They might also object to want extension or other alteration you might want to do in future.

My sister had this with a contrary neighbor. Objection was made to his application. Permission was given anyway. then as revenge for having the nerve to object an environmental complaint was made to the council over my sister's plane. Then sister made a countercomplaint over something he was at in his back yard. A hedge was cut down out of spite.
    Now they wouldn't give each other the time of day if their lives depended on it.

mordeith wrote: »
    If you think it would be awkward to object imagine if you did and were successful. You then move somewhere else a year later. If I was the person you'd objected against I'd be well pissed.

I understand this, my main worry is this person is unbelievably nosy, I don’t think we’d be bothered if it was anyone else.
    But I think I’ll just let it go and concentrate on our own house. I’ll just keep the blinds closed!
    Thanks everyone who replied much appreciated

At first floor level.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

sheer curtains will sort you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

voluntary wrote: »
    sheer curtains will sort you out

Exactly. They can't see in to you but you can peer out at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mirror film on the windows is good too, you can see out, no one can see in except at night when a light is on, but you close your curtains and pull down your blinds at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Wow...!

Seriously, do you really think people want to sit there looking into your house for the night?
    It will only be for about a year, we’re renting and will be starting to build a bit further up the road at the start of 2020 all being well. So I think I’ll have to weigh it up. Thanks

Hopefully nobody lodges a petty objection to your Planning Application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Relax OP.
    I think your objection is unreasonable anywasys, but if planning is only going in now, sure they won’t be in the house by the time you intend to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anywhere I've lived the glass is reflective on the outside. You can't see into someone's house as easily as you can see out. Unless it's dark and their lights are on with the curtains open.

The real issue here would be the increase in traffic and parked cars along the road, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

kceire wrote: »

At first floor level.
    Nope, the ground floor applies too. Do you think Tudor style over hanging first floors are common in Ireland that there is a law to prevent windows in that situation?

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Nope, the ground floor applies too. Do you think Tudor style over hanging first floors are common in Ireland that there is a law to prevent windows in that situation?

You may be referring to the 22m rule for opposing windows at first floor level? It’s from this 22m rule that the 11m exempted rule stems from at first floor level.

It’s by no means a hard and fast rule, it is relaxed very regularly in planning applications.

The ground floor is irrelevant as you can go to 1m from the boundary without planning so that’s a non runner with objections.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

You don't strictly speaking have to have a reason to make your submission - as long as you pay your €20 and your name is on the submission, it is valid. A one liner of "I object to this development" is accepted onto the file. However, it is probably not going to be successful in having permission refused unless the planner can find a reason within the Planning acts or Local Development Plan etc. to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭skallywag

I had empathy with the OP until they revealed that they are only renting for a limited time there anyway.

OP, if I was the one building and a short term renter put in such a disagreement then I would frankly be furious. You are being completely unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭holliehobbie

Would the landlord of the house not have to put in the objection?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

No, anyone can object to any Planning Permission application.

No.
    Technically speaking, if the OP gave me the reference number I can object to it using my personal address here in North Dublin.

I had one planning 2 years ago in Cabra, Dublin 7. One observation from a guy who lived on the clonliffe Road, Dublin 3, a couple of miles away!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF someone builds an extension near you ,they have to put the windows a certain distance from the neighbours on the right and the left.
    You are saying they will be able to look into the bedroom and the front room,.
    Only if you have no blinds or curtains on the windows .
    There was a 4 storey apartment building built behind my gaff,about 35 foot from kitchen .
    i presume most of the tenants there could look into my kitchen or bathroom,
    i do,nt care because i have curtains on the window,s .
    The apartment block was built on the site of an old car garage
    so it,s an improvement ,in that its now more quite ,
    than it was when the garage was in operation .
    i,m not a planning expert ,
    I do not think you,d have reasonable grounds for an objection , unless
    for instance the building was large enough to block out light,
    putting your house in shade .
    But you can consult with a planning expert if you are willing to spend money on an objection that might be futile .

i think you could object if someone was planning to build an office
    or a retail building in an area zoned for residential use.

i can see no point in objecting to planning permission since you are renting and you intend to move out .
    I would find it strange if someone lives in a house in an urban area ,
    with no curtains or blinds in the front windows .
    If someone is building a house on an empty site or knocking down an old building not in use , that would be considered a positive development
    as long as it complys with building regulation,s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You don't even own the gaff?

Get up the yard will you

Advertisement