Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do people actually prefer gated communities?

• 25-07-2020 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

Wondering how you feel about living/buying in a gated community, and apartment blocks in general.

I grew up in a semi-D house, where guests could park outside and visit, without the hassle of gate codes, visitor spaces, door buzzers, shared entrances, etc. I cannot stand those things, and yet I see them touted as positives in listings.

Is the security benefit really worth it, when it's a hassle to have guests, or to have more than one car owner in the household?

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Lived in one apartment in a gated development and two houses.

Never had a problem with guests/visitors/parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Depends on the area. If it's a crap area, the gated community will be nice for security. Can also be handy if in a city centre location whose carpark would be used as "free" parking if it wasn't gated to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Personally, yes. There is something I really like about gated communities.

Firstly, the security aspect. Admittedly, in a lot of areas this wouldn't be a massive issue but still it adds a nice touch of security.

Secondly, there is a feeling of 'exclusivity' with gated communities. People inside the estate live in a bit of a bubble which is nice. Safe for kids and usually local resident-only amenities (small parks, etc).

There's nothing like big gates protecting you from the outside world :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

They allow me to have a proper look when visitors, door to door salesmen, etc arrive.
    Anything which keeps the riff raff out is to be welcomed......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Gated communities are kind of pointless unless you're in a city centre apartment. However, what really ticks me off are housing estates that, while not gated, have a perimeter wall or fence with restricted entry points onto main roads. I can never understand why local residents and local authorities permit walls and fences around main roads because it usually results in car-focused access routes that require long detours for walkers and it also creates dead frontage onto the those roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I’d view it as pretty important depending on your location. I’ve lived in a city centre apartment complex which was gated. There were times when the gates failed and it coincided with an uptick in general anti-social behaviour and bike thefts. They’re a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Seems like a plan in some countries. I instead of policing and prison systems they just have a gated community and let the have nots fend for themselves.

Sometimes it can be worse inside the gate than out. Oscar Pistorius lived in one.

Maybe instead of creating divisions we could give people a role in society or a feeling of being included. Too much hassle probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Lived in a gated community with houses only for 12 years. Never once was there a break in despite others in the area suffering from it. Great for kids to play as only residents had fobs/code, deliveries could be buzzed in, only post man had the keypad code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The gates are too much bother when driving in/out, launch the drones instead.

Also if your in a posh part of the western world (the way it's going with dem yoof), you'll also want something like what is appearing in posh Richmond: to stop those e-skateboarding riff-raff running over your best Italian leather footwear.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8558153/42-teenage-yobs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Dlr won’t allow them any more apparently, I live in a small estate and we should have them as the lands are owned by the omc and maintained by us and we get a lot of people wondering in for a nose around or a walk as the views are nice.

Also safe for the kids playing .

There is a 50/50 split amongst the residents about pursuing it as an option some are very for and some very against so will probably not happen .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The gates are too much bother when driving in/out

Remote fob, call to open, or gate staff recognise you, no bother at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Live in a gated community close to Dublin City Centre. **** me when you tag the fob it takes about 20 seconds for the gate to open. Been stuck standing in the rain more than once. I had to tell my bro when he stayed on the remote chance he was getting chased by some gurrier just run past the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Surprised nobody has mentioned the costs of gate maintenance and what it adds to management fees. Very substantial costs involved. Not an issue if you're renting but definitely if buying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Caranica wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the costs of gate maintenance and what it adds to management fees. Very substantial costs involved. Not an issue if you're renting but definitely if buying.

Yes, but on the other hand block insurance premiums and associated costs can skyrocket if a complex isn't deemed to be secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

AngryLips wrote: »
    Gated communities are kind of pointless unless you're in a city centre apartment. However, what really ticks me off are housing estates that, while not gated, have a perimeter wall or fence with restricted entry points onto main roads. I can never understand why local residents and local authorities permit walls and fences around main roads because it usually results in car-focused access routes that require long detours for walkers and it also creates dead frontage onto the those roads.

It's seen as safer for kids if they can't easily run onto the road due to multiple access points. It depends on the estate but for us we're definitely happy to have it in our estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

AngryLips wrote: »

Two reasons for this design.
    1: no rat runs for cars.
    2: single entry exit point makes it a bit trickier, in theory, for drive by shootings, muggings and break-ins and other cultural activities.
    Think about the way the motor way network has opened up the country for crime.
    You can steal farm equipment/cars/ whatever in Waterford at 2am and be across the border before anyone even knows about it.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Caranica wrote: »

Gate maintenance certainly adds to management fees, but for a lot of people who buy in gated developments, the added sense of security and seclusion are some of the attractions so the gate fees are accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Presently living in a large gated community, originally built for 15,000 people and measures 2x1 KM, 8 swimming pools, supermarket, petrol station, baseball diamond, multiple tennis courts and volleyball/basketball, gym, 7 restaurants. Totally avoids the outside world rat race, beautifully quiet mornings listening only to the birds and if my dog gets out, he cant get too far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

smurfjed wrote: »
    Presently living in a large gated community, originally built for 15,000 people and measures 2x1 KM, 8 swimming pools, supermarket, petrol station, baseball diamond, multiple tennis courts and volleyball/basketball, gym, 7 restaurants. Totally avoids the outside world rat race, beautifully quiet mornings listening only to the birds and if my dog gets out, he cant get too far.

Sounds lovely but in Ireland the term just usually means a normal estate with a coded/RFID gate!

Locally the pizza boys end up knowing the code quite quickly on them all - years ago there was a list visible on the wall of one outlet. Fobs, cards or whitelist mobile numbers avoids this but a keypad is still very common

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Lived in one at the edge of Ballyfermot, scrotes just found different ways in and one memorable night a car was stolen from the underground car park and rammed through the gate, fun times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement