Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

For new build mortgage where you're looking for 90% LTV, is it sufficient to provide proof of 5% mortgage saved and confirmation that you're approved for help to buy (which covers the other 5%)?

Yes, but they'll also want to see funds to cover stamp duty, legal fees etc as well.

BOI asked me for proof I had enough to kit out the house, I think it was about €10 for that, though UB didn't ask for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Musefan wrote: »

My first question is what should we be budgeting in for extra costs (solicitor etc), and will anyone even look at us with less than 10% of the deposit considering that we pay out more on a monthly basis than we would be spending on mortgage repayments. We don't need to factor in the cost of a survey as we have a family member who is qualified to complete this.

Thanks.

Budget 11.5% to be safe (1% stamp and the rest legal fees) .

I've not heard of lending with less than 10% deposit (allowing for HTB), you'll need to save more, you may need to get rid of your car loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mur223

Apologies if this has been asked before.
    We are in the process of buying a house off the plans, our contracts and remaining 10% deposit are to be signed/paid next week.

I am wondering for whatever reason when we go to draw down the mortgage in a couple of months the bank refuses to offer us the money they agreed to. Does this mean we would loose our whole deposit? Anxious to meet the solicitor now face to face to discuss the contract but I am just wondering has anyone been in the same position?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

mur223 wrote: »
    We are in the process of buying a house off the plans, our contracts and remaining 10% deposit are to be signed/paid next week.

I am wondering for whatever reason when we go to draw down the mortgage in a couple of months the bank refuses to offer us the money they agreed to. Does this mean we would loose our whole deposit? Anxious to meet the solicitor now face to face to discuss the contract but I am just wondering has anyone been in the same position?

thanks in advance

You're a little bit ahead of me in the same process but I think you can ask for a "subject to loan" clause to be included in the contracts. Your solicitor will be able to advise you properly on this.

As a matter of interest, for anyone who knows, does this happen much? The bank deciding to withdraw their loan offer at drawdown stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭Julez

You're a little bit ahead of me in the same process but I think you can ask for a "subject to loan" clause to be included in the contracts. Your solicitor will be able to advise you properly on this.

As a matter of interest, for anyone who knows, does this happen much? The bank deciding to withdraw their loan offer at drawdown stage?

I'm in the exact same boat right now. Will definitely be asking solicitor about "subject to loan clause". As for banks withdrawing loan, I'd say it's rare enough and probably only when there is some major change in circumstances or something you didn't declare before. But, I don't know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

This subject has been mentioned a few times in this thread now; but here's my experience of it - we got the clause written into our contract and agreed by the developer. This is at their discretion though. Not sure I would have been comfortable handing over my deposit with no plan b should the bank refuse to release the funds when you are due to close sale. Our new build was due to be ready within 6 months but took 10 months so we had to re-apply for the mortgage as the original offer expired after 6 months. I was on shaky ground in work as there was redundancies happening at the time so I was very glad I had the condition written into the purchase contract, worst case I'll get my deposit back (FYI - wasn't made redundant and sale completed last year). Worth noting it appears a lot of developers flat out refuse to write the condition into contracts as the demand is quite high for new builds.

Fingers crossed! Hoping it's not something else to worry about at this stressful enough time. As it is, we have been waiting a month for our contracts...! But I had read up on it a bit and will be making sure that the solicitor checks that there is either a subject to loan clause or that we can add one.

This subject has been mentioned a few times in this thread now; by my experience of it - we got the clause written into our contract and agreed by the developer. This is at their discretion though. Not sure I would have been comfortable handing over my deposit with no plan b should the bank refuse to release the funds when you are due to close sale. Our new build was due to be ready within 6 months but took 10 months so we had to re-apply for the mortgage as the original offer expired after 6 months. I was on shaky ground in work as there was redundancies happening at the time so I was very glad I had the condition written into the purchase contract. Worth noting it appears a lot of developers flat out refuse to write the condition into contracts as the demand is quite high for new builds.

That must have been so stressful! Delighted you got sorted anyway. Mine is also a new build but the mortgage approval is with AIB so the offer is valid for 12 months. I have an exception on the LTI rules though so my primary concern is if the bank won't stand over that later on in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

That must have been so stressful! Delighted you got sorted anyway. Mine is also a new build but the mortgage approval is with AIB so the offer is valid for 12 months. I have an exception on the LTI rules though so my primary concern is if the bank won't stand over that later on in the process.

I did too. Wasn't an issue getting the LTI re-approved but this was not definite and required LTI re-approval when reapplying after the initial 6 months. Was stressful indeed.

I should mention this was with BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

mur223 wrote: »

thanks in advance

If you have an offer letter from the bank in your hand and all the conditions are satisfied, then the bank cannot refuse to pay out as it would be breach of contract and you could sue. The only reason they would not pay out is if the conditions of the loan offer have not been fully satisfied.

If the house is not completed and your offer expires, then you will need to get reapproved which should not be a major issue, unless there are material changes to your circumstances that impact affordability etc.

Also, your solicitor will normally insert a "subject to loan" clause on the contract which effectively covers this off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

TheShow wrote: »
    Also, your solicitor will normally insert a "subject to loan" clause on the contract which effectively covers this off.

Everyone should ask their solicitor to add in this clause, every good solicitor should be trying to add it in anyway, but a lot of developers are not allowing this clause in for new builds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I'm coming up on a year in my first house which I plan to stay in for about 5 to 7 years. What the best course of action when upgrading? Overpay the mortgage or just save for a large deposit for the second house?

I'm coming up on a year in my first house which I plan to stay in for about 5 to 7 years. What the best course of action when upgrading? Overpay the mortgage or just save for a large deposit for the second house?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Radsky

Is the offer letter from AIB valid for 12 months? Or is it just the underwritten AIP that is valid for 12 months?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Hi what is the market rate to rent a room out in an apartment on the north side of Dublin. 20 mins away from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Abbey127 wrote: »
    Hi what is the market rate to rent a room out in an apartment on the north side of Dublin. 20 mins away from the city centre.

Entry point is about 550e for a single room, with most decent rooms costing 650+. Put it on the market and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

bush wrote: »

Do you plan to sell House A when buying House B? If you are not selling House A you will need a 20% deposit to buy House B. If you are selling House A, every euro extra you pay down on year one saves you about 1 euro interest at year 30 (as an example)

Radsky wrote: »
    Is the offer letter from AIB valid for 12 months? Or is it just the underwritten AIP that is valid for 12 months?

Sorry, you're quite right. The loan offer itself is for 6 months.... hadn't copped that! Wow I hope my house is finished by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Can you apply for a mortgage with multiple institutions at the same time, to see which one of them gives you the best offer (and also to save time in case your first preference rejects you)?

I don't want a scenario where it's

1. Apply Bank 1
    2. Wait 7-10 Days.
    3. Get rejected.
    4. Apply Bank 2
    5. Wait another 7-10 days...

etc.

Does applying with multiple institutions disadvantage you in any way (i.e. do the second bank who check your credit rating get worried/annoyed when they see it's recently been checked by another institution too, or would they assume we were rejected by someone else before coming to them, even if it's really the case that we applied for both at the same time and haven't been rejected/approved by anyone yet)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Can you apply for a mortgage with multiple institutions at the same time, to see which one of them gives you the best offer (and also to save time in case your first preference rejects you)?

1. Apply Bank 1
    2. Wait 7-10 Days.
    3. Get rejected.
    4. Apply Bank 2

etc.

Does applying with multiple institutions disadvantage you in any way (i.e. do the second bank who check your credit rating get worried/annoyed when they see it's recently been checked by another institution too, or would they assume we were rejected by someone else before coming to them, even if it's really the case that we applied for both at the same time and haven't been rejected/approved by anyone yet)?

Get a mortgage broker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BadSanta

JJJackal wrote: »
    Get a mortgage broker?

Some broker get commission from the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

BadSanta wrote: »
    Some broker get commission from the bank.
    of course they do, they bring the bank custom? You expect them to work for free?

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

1. Apply Bank 1
    2. Wait 7-10 Days.
    3. Get rejected.
    4. Apply Bank 2

etc.

You can apply at as many banks as you want at the same time. It makes no difference at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

of course they do, they bring the bank custom? You expect them to work for free?

Some brokers are paid for by the client.

Some brokers are paid for by the client.

the person above suggested a broker, which was then responded to "some get commission". it's like anything... shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Personally I would not pay a broker.
    They get paid handsomely by the banks for introducing the business. There are plenty of good brokers out there that will not charge you for the service.

A broker can, or you can submit multiple applications to all the different lenders for a mortgage. Do be aware though that each ICB search leaves a foot print and if there are multiple recent footprints, this can raise an eyebrow with the underwriters.

A broker, will however normally just go the the bank that pays the most commission.

Try and do a bit of research yourself on the different lenders and what rates they offer etc. Use their online calculators to get an idea of what amount is realistic given your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BadSanta

the person above suggested a broker, which was then responded to "some get commission". it's like anything... shop around.
    Read below comments, that's what I mean. so be careful choosing broker. even paid broker some do get commision lol
    TheShow wrote: »
    Personally I would not pay a broker.
    They get paid handsomely by the banks for introducing the business. There are plenty of good brokers out there that will not charge you for the service.

A broker can, or you can submit multiple applications to all the different lenders for a mortgage. Do be aware though that each ICB search leaves a foot print and if there are multiple recent footprints, this can raise an eyebrow with the underwriters.

A broker, will however normally just go the the bank that pays the most commission.

Try and do a bit of research yourself on the different lenders and what rates they offer etc. Use their online calculators to get an idea of what amount is realistic given your circumstances.

BadSanta wrote: »
    Read below comments, that's what I mean. so be careful choosing broker. even paid broker some do get commision lol

It's hard to get all that from your original comment

"Some broker get commission from the bank."

JJJackal wrote:
    Do you plan to sell House A when buying House B? If you are not selling House A you will need a 20% deposit to buy House B. If you are selling House A, every euro extra you pay down on year one saves you about 1 euro interest at year 30 (as an example)

Ye I will be selling the first house. I'm on a 3 year fixed mortgage and was thinking of saving up and paying off a lump sum at the end. Shop around for a good variable rate and switch mortgage and overpay it a little bit every month while saving over the next 3 or 4 years towards the new house. Is this the best way to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

5 year fixed at 3.2% or 3 year fixed at 3%

Overall difference of about 30 euro per month

What would you go with?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement