Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW1 Books

• 11-11-2018 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend some good books on the war that would be suitable as an introduction to the subject?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Death's Men by Denis Winter is one of the best around. It is not necessarily about particular battles but about the men, equipment, and questions you should ask but never think of.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Any recommendations on books about the situation up until the shot heard around the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Catastrophe by Max Hastings covers the lead up to and the early part of WW1 and I found it an excellent read. It's a large book but it held my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Thanks for the suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Forgot to mention this one.

A Coward if I Return, A Hero if I Fall: Stories of Irishmen in World War I by Neil Richardson is from the Irish perspective and tells stories of the individuals involved and is also very interesting. The same author wrote a similar book about Irish Individuals in WW2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement