Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SheepsClothing

kippy wrote: »
    He has a young kid (dont think the others have) which would add some complications to life. I think he's probably got more side gigs going on than the other two lads as well so maybe, not necessarily "holidays" as such.

EDIT:
    Cant find any confirmation he has a young kid - thought he did but I could be wrong.

He does, it's been mentioned it on the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I think it's just because we expect him to be on every show. Wouldn't notice of Ken's not on a rugby or GAA show. Wouldn't really miss Murph if he's not on a football show either. Eoin's the main presenter, so it's immediately noticeable when he's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Still Ill wrote: »
    I think it's just because we expect him to be on every show. Wouldn't notice of Ken's not on a rugby or GAA show. Wouldn't really miss Murph if he's not on a football show either. Eoin's the main presenter, so it's immediately noticeable when he's not there.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Eoin is a great presenter, not knocking Murph but the difference is massive when he has to take the reins.

The Thursday morning drive to work was very enjoyable because of the new sound bed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Eoin is a top class presenter whenever a pod starts and you hear Murphs voice first the heart sinks a little

• Advertisement

Am I going mad or used Mark act as stand on host previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

dulpit wrote: »

The odd time, very rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

He did, and he was excellent at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    He did, and he was excellent at it.
    is he Shane and Sharon Horgan's brother?

is he Shane and Sharon Horgan's brother?

He is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I've been listening for a couple of years and can only remember him host once for a boxing chat

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

RedRochey wrote: »
    I've been listening for a couple of years and can only remember him host once for a boxing chat

He stood in two or three times for the whole show during the first 12 months or so of the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

It probably helped that I’d seen the documentary recently but I thought the Tiger Woods episode this week was one of the best in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭cmac2009

den87 wrote: »
    It probably helped that I’d seen the documentary recently but I thought the Tiger Woods episode this week was one of the best in a while.

Agreed. Haven't seen the documentary yet and only have a passing interest in Golf, but that was a terrific discussion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

I thought it was interesting. I always like the Scottish guy they have on. It was good to see him rubbish some parts of the doc.

Also, I thought it was a bit crass to be talking about tiger making a come back to golf at the point of the podcast when he is lucky to be making a come back to walking. I think Ken and Rory thought the same too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Raoul wrote: »
    I thought it was interesting. I always like the Scottish guy they have on. It was good to see him rubbish some parts of the doc.

Also, I thought it was a bit crass to be talking about tiger making a come back to golf at the point of the podcast when he is lucky to be making a come back to walking. I think Ken and Rory thought the same too.

When they were projecting into the future about the inner desires of Tiger, I thought it got a bit weird and not really anchored to planet earth anymore. Love the lads and all, but it sounded like they were spoofing some grade A shíte towards the end of the segment.

Interesting conversation on the whole though. May watch the documentary based on what they were saying, though I have close to zero interest in golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

The Tiger documentary is compelling viewing but it is also ridiculously one-sided as he nor anyone close to him wanted to take part in it for obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Lawrence donegan is always great (and i hate golf). Him, tim vickery and caitlin thompson should all be on more.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Still Ill wrote: »

Wouldnt miss murph if he wasnt on any show

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭al87987

Mark is on the Irishman abroad podcast talking about the making of the George Gibney podcast if anybody is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

deisedude wrote: »
    The Tiger documentary is compelling viewing but it is also ridiculously one-sided as he nor anyone close to him wanted to take part in it for obvious reasons

Yeah, I was surprised that they didn't really talk about this much. I thought it was really interesting but a bit slimey. I don't want to mention anything specific as not everyone has watched it. But a lot of it is tabloid junk. Lawrence touched on certain things, Earl not there to defend himself either.

It is nowhere near as good as The Last Dance which some people are saying it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Beersmith wrote: »
    Lawrence donegan is always great (and i hate golf). Him, tim vickery and caitlin thompson should all be on more.

Yep these three are some of the best they get on..
    Donegan has some enjoyable books too some golf / some non golf.

Every time Murph jokes about Eoin's Premier Sports duties I always sense an undercurrent of jealousy. I get the feeling he would love to be in that seat and is trying too hard to be all blasé and flippant about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I don't think so, it just a joke that Murph can't let go of.

Beersmith wrote: »
    I don't think so, it just a joke that Murph can't let go of.

Maybe, he just seems too enthusiastic about it that's why I have that feeling.

One thing about the Mrs. Murphy guide to the TV weekend that could improve it.

If they picked out ONE highlight for each day Sat/Sun - which realistically is what a lot of people will only get to watch.

At the moment it's Murph spewing out a list of fixtures/times/channels etc which I find very hard to digest at that speed. I think if they kept it like that but then at the end added their "picks of the weekend" it would be much better. As in, evaluate the importance/interest by sport and pick one single match to watch.

Just my tuppence ha'penny worth. I await the standard "I think it's fine the way it is" post which will no doubt get a ton of thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Did wrote a great book on caddying for an amature trying to go pro.
    Called Four iron in the soul

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Be interesting to see if the lads cover this Gordon Elliott story. They usually ignore racing completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

One thing about the Mrs. Murphy guide to the TV weekend that could improve it.

If they picked out ONE highlight for each day Sat/Sun - which realistically is what a lot of people will only get to watch.

At the moment it's Murph spewing out a list of fixtures/times/channels etc which I find very hard to digest at that speed. I think if they kept it like that but then at the end added their "picks of the weekend" it would be much better. As in, evaluate the importance/interest by sport and pick one single match to watch.

Just my tuppence ha'penny worth. I await the standard "I think it's fine the way it is" post which will no doubt get a ton of thanks.

Getting rid of it entirely would be the best move to make.

• Advertisement

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Getting rid of it entirely would be the best move to make.

It's a useful slot but it's just impossible to process mentally while listening. Think quality over quantity would be better. To use corporate speak the "value add" would be them picking out the highlight geared toward the average fan who follows multi-sports.

Advertisement