Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

PlayaFlow wrote:
    FORTLAWN in Blanchardstown: i shall tell ye a tale. i drove my car in right into the middle of fortlwn as i heard a rumour some guy was selling cheap runners there , i couldnt find the street i was luckin for so i decided to leave my car in the middle and walk around a bit, 2 minutes later i seen 2guys approaching me but i couldnt just turn around and run as they spotted me already , 1 had a machette and was dead set on stabbing the **** out of me , without any questions... lucky his mate pulled him back , took the knife off him and put it into his pocket , he wanted my wallet so and was pointin the knife in my face , i pretended i wasforeign & lookin for a house to rent there, ...he then said "ahh sodrry , bud....welcome to the neighbourhood"...and gave me directions to a lovely house up for let, so i got away , next i had to go back in to get my car and i could see a bunch of scangers gathering at it from a distance, i decided , if its my day to die , then i will , so i walked up and there 2 were on my bonnet and 3 against the door drinkin , walked straight up , and said ' do ya mind bud ' and he stepped away, man got away luck that time.

hehe.. nice escape! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

PLayaflow- that sounds pretty scary. How can this go on though. I mean, surely we desperatly need more guards and jails and better housing etc. I dont know a lot about that sort of thing but it seems pretty obvious that there are some areas in Dublin which have been literally left to rot.

Someone mentioned temple bar and I although I disagree that its dangerous in general, being such a busy place, I think the city centre is seriously under policed.
    When I was in prague in the central square there is a cop van and a few cops parked in the middle of the square 24/7 and no trouble in that busy boozy area at all. One should be able to call out for a cop in the centre of Dublin, but alas they are rarely there.

My experience with Irish cops has been pretty lousy:

My bike was stolen when I was 9. The cops picked my dad up in the squad car and patrolled the area for it.- they saw a guy of about 17 with a few mates slowly cycling it up Ballymun Road and the cop refused to get out of the car claiming it was too dangerous and the guy probably had a knife.

When I was 15 my mates and I were dossin about in the church grounds on Griffith avenue and a cop car pulled up and one of the cops punched my friend, who was also 15 in the side of his face, for no reason. I swear to god.

Then of course there was the hold up in Wexford street, when after coming within inches of being hammered to death, the cop told me I wouldnt be seeing any more of that particular junkie, only to have him come back to get me only days later.

Ive found cops to be full of sh1t. But then again, they have a pretty sh1t job dealing with all the scum there is out there, and god knows theres plenty of scum in Dublin.

I wonder what areas people think have gone from nice to kippy or visa versa??

Personally Ive noticed East Wall has calmed down loads- its full of grannys and students these days.
    Swords, which used to be lovely, is full of skangers these days, and not just the wannabe knackers of before. Theres genuine dangerous scum there nowadays.

Oh and Walkinstown- sh1thole :)

womoma wrote:
    My bike was stolen when I was 9. The cops picked my dad up in the squad car and patrolled the area for it.- they saw a guy of about 17 with a few mates slowly cycling it up Ballymun Road and the cop refused to get out of the car claiming it was too dangerous and the guy probably had a knife.

When I was 15 my mates and I were dossin about in the church grounds on Griffith avenue and a cop car pulled up and one of the cops punched my friend, who was also 15 in the side of his face, for no reason. I swear to god.

Poor lad, if you lived on the southside you would be spared such things in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Debyaka

Kernel wrote:
    Poor lad, if you lived on the southside you would be spared such things in life.

Aha the dreaded southside Vs northside agro!!
    Smell a row here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

RuggieBear wrote:
    It's actually Oldcourt.....used to be known as white city when i was growing up....rough as **** but much nicer now that many people have actually bought their own houses in there.

Problem area has moved across the road from Wheatfield actually.....sometimes mounted police and helicopters are needed for that estate...bunch of settled travellers is the problem....

I take it you're talking about Deerpark. I hear theres a lot of scummers up in one of the new council estates on the Southern Cross. Shotgun blasts through front doors etc etc.

The problems generally seem to move on from the older council estates to the newer ones as the residents mature and mellow and their scummer kids grow up and move out into their own council houses in the newer estates to raise their own little anto's and jacintas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

crapfork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Debyaka

womoma wrote:
    crapfork

Smells SPAM!!
    Terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

PlayaFlow wrote:
    FORTLAWN in Blanchardstown: i shall tell ye a tale. i drove my car in right into the middle of fortlwn as i heard a rumour some guy was selling cheap runners there , i couldnt find the street i was luckin for so i decided to leave my car in the middle and walk around a bit, 2 minutes later i seen 2guys approaching me but i couldnt just turn around and run as they spotted me already , 1 had a machette and was dead set on stabbing the **** out of me , without any questions... lucky his mate pulled him back , took the knife off him and put it into his pocket , he wanted my wallet so and was pointin the knife in my face , i pretended i wasforeign & lookin for a house to rent there, ...he then said "ahh sodrry , bud....welcome to the neighbourhood"...and gave me directions to a lovely house up for let, so i got away , next i had to go back in to get my car and i could see a bunch of scangers gathering at it from a distance, i decided , if its my day to die , then i will , so i walked up and there 2 were on my bonnet and 3 against the door drinkin , walked straight up , and said ' do ya mind bud ' and he stepped away, man got away luck that time.

Just to say that I live in Blanchardstown, and I wouldn't consider Fortlawn to be a part of it by any means. It is Dublin 15, yes, but definitely not Blanchardstown. It is part of the Clonsilla demesne. And yes, I completely agree it is a kip full of drug dealing knackers. I have only ever known of one decent family in that whole estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Kernel wrote:
    I'm from Walkinstown. Hasn't been mentioned as a bad area by anyone here, and indeed it isn't. Nice and safe, great place to bring up the kids. Unlike Ballymun.

eh you are aware walkinstown is a bit of a kip?
    my mate got stabbed in the leg up there last year for stopping some pikeys throwing bricks at cars on the side of the road,hardly a nice area.
    I've read quite a few times of drug busts in walkinstown as well.

Also a few months ago I went to a free gaf there and beside the gaf out on some field I saw loadsa little pikeys with hurleys and it was about 2am then so I dont think they were planning on playing hurley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

worst area in Dublin is very subjective.... but....giving it just a little thought

Nothing comes close to Dunsink !

the winner by any measure.

they even had to brick up the entrance FFS !!

the scumbags wouldn't go there.

the rats and the dump !

the residents .... well..... what can i say

remember the graffiti dug on the green in Elm Green Golf Club !

RAOD

Great place for Car Parts

In second place has to be Darndale
    taxis and fire brigades don't refuse to enter for nothing.

i'd have to give Fatima Mansions number 3 but there's a case that nobody lives there anymore

After that take your pick but Dublin West Blanch suburbs Corduff/Fortlawn/Whitestown/Ladyswell
    could reasonably have a shout at infamy given the regular gangland hit rates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Holly IMO Fortlawn is part of Blanch. Blanch sort of incorporates Clonsilla and Mulhuddart, all estates close to the centre and village etc. If you were in town and someone asked where your from and you said Clonsilla its highly unlikely theyd know exactly where it is

Most of Blanch bar the village area and affordable housing areas are pretty tough- and the AH areas probably will be in 10 years

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    eh you are aware walkinstown is a bit of a kip?
    my mate got stabbed in the leg up there last year for stopping some pikeys throwing bricks at cars on the side of the road,hardly a nice area.
    I've read quite a few times of drug busts in walkinstown as well.

Also a few months ago I went to a free gaf there and beside the gaf out on some field I saw loadsa little pikeys with hurleys and it was about 2am then so I dont think they were planning on playing hurley!

It's not Foxrock, alright, it's a normal Dublin area, but you don't get scumbags in most of it. Whereabouts were you? Around near the church can be a bit rougher, but generally it's grand. Houses in most parts of Walkinstown are 400-500k, so that kinda keeps the dole families out. I've lived there all my life, and have never heard of a stabbing or a drug bust or even drug deals anywhere near me.

Are you sure you were in Walkinstown?

all these stories have happened in walkinstown in the last 2 years.

one of the biggest ecstasy raids in Irelands history was made there,the links below.

http://www.rte.ie/news2/2003/0523/walkinstown.html

http://www.garda.ie/angarda/press/2003/..%5C2003%5Cp20jan2003.html

http://hrbndc.imaxan.ie/directory/news_detail.php?cat_id=&news_id=1128&pointer=0

http://www.politics.ie/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=282

http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/1222/print/assault.html (last print)

Found these in 5 mins im sure theres lots more but im not arsed looking

Also the person who shot Veronica Guerrin grew up in Walkinstown,it can hardly be a nice area if its producing criminal drug dealing killers?I mean when was the last time you heard of such a person from D4 if ever?

yeah up near the church near crumlin I think.

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    all these stories have happened in walkinstown in the last 2 years.

one of the biggest ecstasy raids in Irelands history was made there,the links below.

http://www.rte.ie/news2/2003/0523/walkinstown.html

http://www.garda.ie/angarda/press/2003/..%5C2003%5Cp20jan2003.html

http://hrbndc.imaxan.ie/directory/news_detail.php?cat_id=&news_id=1128&pointer=0

http://www.politics.ie/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=282

http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/1222/print/assault.html (last print)

Found these in 5 mins im sure theres lots more but im not arsed looking

Also the person who shot Veronica Guerrin grew up in Walkinstown,it can hardly be a nice area if its producing criminal drug dealing killers?I mean when was the last time you heard of such a person from D4 if ever?

yeah up near the church near crumlin I think.

The first link is a murder from a domestic row behind closed doors, which can happen in any part of the country.

The second referrred to heroin found buried in a field in walkinstown.. could be buried in any field tbh. The fact that walkinstown is quiet, means drug gangs from Crumlin etc. would probably choose one of it's fields to bury their stuff.

The third link referring to the ecstacy/chemical haul was in a warehouse rented out in a walkinstown industrial estate... again, that could be anywhere you can rent out a warehouse.

The fourth link refers to a seizure of ecstacy found in a car driving through walkinstown by the police.

The last link referring to the man with severe head injuries I knew of personally. He died from injuries sustained when he fell down his stairs pissed. no crime was committed there.

So, all your links do not prove anything about walkinstown. If you google castleknock and crime you'll find links like that. Walkinstown is a great area to live.

right fair enough i should've researched me links :D

But anyways I know it is a bit of a kip from personal expirience,and I know that there are major dealers there though thats all im saying.I know a few lads from there and they are all knacks and joyride.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thw worst area in the country is the half a mile from SummerHill (at the canal) up to Parnell Street.This small area has been on the front of National Newspapers loads of times over the last few years.Here is a small sample.

1)Last weeks headless cut up body found in the canal

2)Man "assassinated" as he was sitting outside a pub

3)Taxi driver killed by so called joyriders

4)The Sunday World bought Crack Cocaine in a pub on this infamous half mile.

5)The body in a suit case allso happend here.

6)Chinese gangs had a major fight I think a man was killed cant remember but some major GBH was done.

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    right fair enough i should've researched me links :D

But anyways I know it is a bit of a kip from personal expirience,and I know that there are major dealers there though thats all im saying.I know a few lads from there and they are all knacks and joyride.

Hmm.. well, I have 28 years of personal experience, and it's not as you describe. I don't know any joyriders, nor for that matter do I ever witness joyriders driving around. Anyway, you should keep better company if what you say is true! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm getting pretty sick of cabra lately. Too many scumbags from there are coming down to my area (just beside there) and breakin into cars and robbin old ladies lately

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Calibos wrote:
    I take it you're talking about Deerpark. I hear theres a lot of scummers up in one of the new council estates on the Southern Cross. Shotgun blasts through front doors etc etc.

The problems generally seem to move on from the older council estates to the newer ones as the residents mature and mellow and their scummer kids grow up and move out into their own council houses in the newer estates to raise their own little anto's and jacintas.

yep...its basically a couple of families who just need to be eugenised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Dub13 wrote:
    Thw worst area in the country is the half a mile from SummerHill (at the canal) up to Parnell Street.This small area has been on the front of National Newspapers loads of times over the last few years.Here is a small sample.

6)Chinese gangs had a major fight I think a man was killed cant remember but some major GBH was done.

I lived in Ballybough for a year and although i agree with you on it being a complete sh!t hole, I believe there is worse. Ive witnessed an awful lot of stuff up there but I never feared for my personal safety walking through there. It should be flattened IMO, those flats are an eyesore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

isnt bray in wicklow?

ColHol wrote:
    isnt bray in wicklow?

Indeed it is....but a couple of Bray estates lie in Co. Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

Basically anything north of the liffey is a total kip, Real no-go areas, I was north of the liffey as a kid once, it made me physically sick.
    Theres a real tension in the air, commonly known as "north side aggression".
    Whenever I meet foreign visitors I always make a point of telling them this.
    The tourist board recommend staying south side aswel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

"if Fair City, is loike a true representation of, loike northsoide loife, then how come theres never any drive by shootings and people being mugged"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

if Fair City, is loike a true representation of, loike northsoide loife, then how come theres never any drive by shootings and people being mugged"

a how come sum of de peeple talk loike dis & dere brudders or sisters have like a d4 like accent ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Kingsize wrote:
    if Fair City, is loike a true representation of, loike northsoide loife, then how come theres never any drive by shootings and people being mugged"

a how come sum of de peeple talk loike dis & dere brudders or sisters have like a d4 like accent ?

Fair City, like all soaps fails to represent reality - by virtue of the fact that it is set in a non-existent area (Carrigstown)

People will say 'well you can't set it somewhere real like say, Glasnevin'

I say why not

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Fair City, like all soaps fails to represent reality - by virtue of the fact that it is set in a non-existent area (Carrigstown)

People will say 'well you can't set it somewhere real like say, Glasnevin'

I say why not

aye....wasn't Glenroe basically Kilcoole in Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Dub13 wrote:

And last night at 10pm a guy was shot repeatedly in the head, just down the road in Ballybough.

I live just off Parnell St. up towards Gardiner St. Luckily Gardiner St. seems to be the cutoff point. East of there and you're in the badlands. I'd never walk/cycle up there after a certain time of night.

What's the deal with the boarded up flats up that way, are they going to be pulled down or what??

Kev.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Ok, got to page 3 of this thread and couldnt be bothered reading anymore. Interesting thread tho. I know the southside like the back of my hand, so you can take it that this list is fairly complete (Southside wise anyway).
    Most of these will be south/west side, not too familiar with the kips on the northside.

Heres my definitive list in no particular order:

Ringsend - where I grew up and love to bits and would never ever be afraid to walk thru any part, even the park or the flats at any time of day or night, but good god, if u didnt know anyone around there, I wouldnt go near it, ringsend is a hard fckin area. Not so much total scumbags, only hard ****ers that yer better off not messing with. I love it tho, with all my heart :)

East wall - The general enemies of Ringer and many a time there has been war over tyres for halloween fires. Ive been involved in quite a few. Sherrif st. is probably near the worst part, but its not nearly as bad as it used to be and I would walk around there,but maybe not after dark (although I have done a good few times, robbing tyres ;) )

Pearse st. or Pearser - Very bad at times and another sworn enemy of ringer, particularly Pearse House and Marchevicz. Never really get to see it too much of it anymore due to a feud with a few people in particular, but it is getting so much better due to business and students in the area. Historically Pearser and Ringer have had pitched battles invovling 40-50 or more people, knives, bats, bottles, bed posts, the works. Nasty ****, Ive seen one first hand on ringsend bridge when I was younger, 15 or 20 people had to go the hospital, the rest didnt bother but should have.

Beechill in Donnybrook - Not toooo bad, but it has its moments and is often neglected as a hard area.

The area between dorset st. and sherrif st, around the 5 lamps is dodgy as fook, cant think of the name of it. Near connolly.

O'Connell St at night is fairly bad and I never feel too safe walking down it. Daytime is nearly as bad, but its not as bad as people make it out to be.

Temple St. area - around the temple theatre, those flats are ****in well dodgy, believe me.

The Flats behind stevens green - The name of em escapes me now, but I know em far better than Id like to. Got dragged in there and battered with a motorbike helmet by 2 ***** a few years back, although that was self inflicted (you dont want to know).

Dolphins Barn - Not really as bad as some of ye were making out, there is scum, but they generally dont cause any hassle (not to me anyway).

The Libirties/Christ Church/The Coombe - Can be dodgy, but not really too bad, loads of junkies, but **** them they're only muppets.

Crumlin/Drimnagh - Can be quite bad unless you keep your head down. Got slaughtered to bits one day (4 o clock or so) by a pro boxer and his son (also a pro boxer) becuase my mate hit his car when he tried to knock us down. There was a gang of at least 10 of us, not mates of mine, but proper crumlins heads and yer man didnt give a ****, straight out of the motor and started kicking heads. I hit him a dig, big mistake, got kicked asunder by him and his son then. They only stopped hitting me cos the garda were on the way. But thats just me, but in general, crumlin is a certainately not a no go area, but theres some very hard people there.

Inchicore - Aint nearly as bad as some were making out as far as I know and Ive been around there loads at night and day. Never seems too bad to me.

Now onto the gems:

Neilstown - Absolute ****in kip, nightmare of a place. I hate venturing thru there night or day. Disaster zone.

Killinarden Heights - Same as above.

Jobstown - I see somebody said this place is getting worse, but compared to the one time that me and a mate got the wrong bus out there when we were about 12, its seems almost grand now. Back then, my good god.

Cherry Orchard - Where I currently live. Again, its not as bad as it was about 10 years ago (was actually the worst place Ive ever visited, ever, back then) but its still a dangerous dangerous place. My car got robbed within 3 days of buying it (got it back, rallied to bits an hour later) and theres been at least one or two more attempts on it since then, but I have an alarm/immob now so it aint goin anywhere.Ive only been living out there for about a year, but Ive seen some mad **** since I got there. Cars get rallied every single night and sure yer man was killed for his car a 10 minute walk from where I live. A bloke in my apartments got car jacked outside my door 2 weeks after moving in aswell. Another time the boys tried to rob a car but couldnt move it so they set fire to it in the driveway. Dodgy as fook.

Ballyfermot - I dunno, theres somthing about ballyer I dont like (probably the fact that I have to live there). Most bad areas I can deal with, but ballyer is different. The main street is a nightmare, bogeys everywhere at any time of day. Ive been living in ballyer for nearly a year and I still havent walked the length of it and probably wouldnt either.
    Le Fanu park is a no go area completely at night time. Wouldnt go near it if I was paid.

Bawnouge - Similar to Neilstown. Im in belfast at the moment and Ive been driving thru most of the different areas. None are as bad as neilstown and bawnouge.

Now, moving south again:

Ballybrack/Sallynoggin - Mainly just fools that think they're hard, but there is a few genuine psychos out that way that yer better off not messing with. Loads of saps aswell tho.

Rathfarnam - Believe it or not (I know I was suprised), but theres a few little small estates around rathfarnam that are fairly hard. Nothing too bad tho, Id still walk around there (couldnt bring myself to be afraid of a rathfarnian) at any time tho. **** em.

Dun Laoghire - Same as above, few little pockets of dodgy areas, but generally on the whole, theyre just wannabe hard men.

Shankill - Again, theres a few bogeys out that way, one in particular I can think of whos a bit of a nut job. Carrys 2 shotguns in the back of his van 24/7. Dunno if hes locked up yet or not.

Bray - I fckin hate bray with a passion. Theres some right little knackers out there, and thats all they are, knackers. Little bray knackers, smell of em. I absolutely hate the place and Id be quite happy if it burned to the ground.

Think Ive covered most of the southside dodgys there.

Consult this list if yer planning on moving :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement