Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Tazz T

As an house owner in the Rathborne development since 2007, I would check and double check the broadband availability. It was a nightmare for us, and still is for many. The developer sold the monopoly on the broadband to Smart (now Digiweb). The houses which were sold as state of the art technology enabled were all equipped for UPC. Told years to sort out. And we've still got all these points round the house that are useless.

Really! See what the availability before buying. There will be no eircom or NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nordstrom

maciektok wrote: »
    I'm virgin media customer, I will give them a ring tomorrow and see if they have plans for the service in the area

I was virginmedia too, I asked them about their plans and I was told that they did have plans to provide a service to the area but it hadn't been scheduled. They recommended I go with another provider because it could be well over a year. If you find out something more let us know.

Tazz T wrote: »
    As an house owner in the Rathborne development since 2007, I would check and double check the broadband availability. It was a nightmare for us, and still is for many. The developer sold the monopoly on the broadband to Smart (now Digiweb). The houses which were sold as state of the art technology enabled were all equipped for UPC. Told years to sort out. And we've still got all these points round the house that are useless.

Really! See what the availability before buying. There will be no eircom or NTL.

Yep, SherryFitz told us that we'd be able to get virginmedia, but that's most definitely not the case right now and won't be for a long time. People should be aware before they buy one of these, it would have made me think twice unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Tazz T wrote: »

Yip. I did anticipate this was going to be a problem as I'm up in Ashtown at the moment and while we have vodafone, it's really not the greatest. I do find the 4G on my phone great though, I use it whenever vodafone is annoying me too much and the 4G streams netflix (my heaviest usage) just fine. A 4G dongle is my back up/interim plan, luckily there's only the 2 of us and we don't bother with TV connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭maciektok

Nordstrom are you happy with the house apart from internet connection, what's the quality of finish and heating system like??

• Advertisement

Nordstrom are you happy with the house apart from internet connection, what's the quality of finish and heating system like??

Oh yes! Very happy with it. The workmen are all still on site and they're very responsive if there's any issues. I probably came over as a bit too gloomy but it's just that I can't believe in 2016 adequate broadband and tv services can't be provided. If you search on here you'll see that the same issues have affected these Ashtown developments for over 10 years.

Heating system I haven't really figured out yet. It worked when we needed it in the cold weather anyway, but there's probably an optimal way to run it that I need to work out. Rooms are very warm now with the sun streaming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

I was talking to eir about something unrelated this afternoon and I happened to ask them about Royal Canal Park. They said the completed houses are listed as "pending" on the system, so they are on the list for connection but they didn't have/couldn't give me any more details.

Arbie wrote: »
    I was talking to eir about something unrelated this afternoon and I happened to ask them about Royal Canal Park. They said the completed houses are listed as "pending" on the system, so they are on the list for connection but they didn't have/couldn't give me any more details.

Do you know what number you called? I wouldn't mind giving them a call myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

nordstrom wrote: »
    Do you know what number you called? I wouldn't mind giving them a call myself :)

It was a callback by them.

You could go online and try to order services, it'll ask you to put in your details for them to call you, then when they ring you they'll be able to look up your address and tell you the plan.

• Advertisement

Just rang Ballymore, Phelan Avenue ready for snag on Tuesday!!!
    Any burglar alarm recommendation??

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭minkey

Hi , could someone PM me the contact details for Ballymore if they have them to hand, We signed contract a few weeks ago and as expected have heard not a whistle since , but Im not too sure who to contact just to find out about progress on th site. Also if anyone has info on the kitchen supplier I'd like to try get in contact just to check if there is anything I need to think about there
    Thats a little annoying about the broadband. In this day and age I'd consider it fundamental infrastructure , exactly on the same par as water and electricity, unfortunate for the people who have already moved in, but let hope it gets solved soon

Thanks

pm sent

Question about snagging,

Can we line up the people we want to do measurements on the same day as snagging (or better yet at some point in the two snagging weeks), or does that have to wait until we get the keys?

I'm thinking blind suppliers, floor fitters, that sort of thing.
    Obviously they won't fit anything until we move in, but having them happy that there are proper measurements would really expedite the moving in process.

N

PhoenixParker get ballymore to email you plans. It'll save you having to measure the place.

I have that plan, and the ones from the planning permission.

I just prefer the floor guy to come out and look at the floor and sign it off as level and measure and the blinds guy the same.

Lack of levelness, squareness and small differences in tolerances can make a difference. I'm paranoid, but most of them also offer a measurement visit as part of the service.

I think tell don't ask is the way to go!

They do. I was half thinking about doing it myself so I am gonna hold odd with that. Also there is couple off things that can be done before you get it ready for snagging like having insurance ready and valuation done. We got valuation completed today

Small update on the broadband. I bumped into another 4 eircom engineers working on the estate today. This time when I asked if they were here to connect up the new houses they said yes. It's still going to take 3 or 4 weeks according to them, something the builder has to do is holding things up. They also said it would be fibre.

I came across an email I got from ballymore a while back, they say that virginmedia are due to come in at some stage but it could be 8 months away. I'd take that with a massive pinch of salt.

They do. I was half thinking about doing it myself so I am gonna hold odd with that. Also there is couple off things that can be done before you get it ready for snagging like having insurance ready and valuation done. We got valuation completed today

We haven't committed to anything yet, but we've talked to a range of providers and will probably start the final pinning down on Saturday. Our house insurance and valuation will be through the broker/bank so they're straightforward enough. The life insurance on the other hand is taking for ever. Details keep getting messed up and we've been warned to have everything match perfectly. Fingers crossed that'll be done tomorrow!
    nordstrom wrote: »
    Small update on the broadband. I bumped into another 4 eircom engineers working on the estate today. This time when I asked if they were here to connect up the new houses they said yes. It's still going to take 3 or 4 weeks according to them, something the builder has to do is holding things up. They also said it would be fibre.

I came across an email I got from ballymore a while back, they say that virginmedia are due to come in at some stage but it could be 8 months away. I'd take that with a massive pinch of salt.

That's great to hear Nordstrom, well the eir bit not so much the virgin being 8 months away! I guess we'll go for a 12 month contract rather than 18 - 24 months with eir. Once we can have broadband in some form or other I will survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IAmTheWasp

Hi guys,

I'm moving in to one of the houses in Phelan Avenue (March) - surveyor going out next week.

@Nordstrom - RE Broadband: Are you referring to the broadband for all the houses on Phelan Avenue? Seem like some pretty good news.

I spoke to a couple who bought one of the houses on Phelan Avenue (January) and they said they're using a dongle for broadband which isn't ideal.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

• Advertisement

IAmTheWasp wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm moving in to one of the houses in Phelan Avenue (March) - surveyor going out next week.

@Nordstrom - RE Broadband: Are you referring to the broadband for all the houses on Phelan Avenue? Seem like some pretty good news.

I spoke to a couple who bought one of the houses on Phelan Avenue (January) and they said they're using a dongle for broadband which isn't ideal.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Yes, when eircom does whatever they need to do then all the houses should be able to get broadband through eircom's wires. I assume you can go with an alternative provider like Vodafone or Sky, they all use the same eircom wires. Good luck with the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I live in Rathborne, near Royal Canal Park since 2008 and I love it! It is a beautiful area with many green park around where you can walk and relax and the city centre it is just 15 minutes away by train

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

Hi All,

I just have a few questions for people who have bought these houses to date. We live in the area currently and are very happy here so are thinking of going for a place here in the next phase:

How do you find the air to pump water heat? When it is turned on - is it quite noisy?
    Also, the management fees - are you tied into these for life if you buy a property in this development or can you opt out?
    Are you entitled to add personal touches to the house, such as flower boxes on the outside window ledge or does it have to remain 'uniform'?
    In terms of broadband/phone/tv services - are they fully set up in the area yet?

Thanks a mil and congrats to the new neighbours!!

janeybaby wrote: »
    How do you find the air to pump water heat? When it is turned on - is it quite noisy?

Can't answer this one as we haven't moved in yet.
    Also, the management fees - are you tied into these for life if you buy a property in this development or can you opt out?

You're tied in. The fees the solicitors quoted to us came in a hair under 900, so a little less then the estate agents suggested.

It includes bins, the gym and general maintenance of the estate including your front "garden" so it's not as bad as it would seem at first glance. The bins and the gym are probably worth E500 to us straight off.

One thing I was wary of was that apartment block specific costs like lift maintenance weren't being included in the cost of the houses and they're not. It is a huge management company with 1000 properties and I think long term there's probably some scope to have the fees reduced (e.g. there's a security guard on site and full time staff)
    Are you entitled to add personal touches to the house, such as flower boxes on the outside window ledge or does it have to remain 'uniform'?

You're pretty restricted. It's laid out in the contract so you'll get a chance to review it before you sign anything binding. No mention of flower boxes. There are bits about net curtains, for sale signs, front door colour and the like. The planting in the front "garden" is actually part of the drainage scheme so that's maintained by the management company. The houses are full brick so options like painting the front is gone anyway.

If there's a restriction that really bothers you, there's always the option to get involved in the management company and campaign for change.
    In terms of broadband/phone/tv services - are they fully set up in the area yet?
    Apparently not yet, but hopefully in the next few weeks!

Snagged the house last week, only few touches of paint required so quiet happy with it. There is a slight delay with a certificate of completion issued by the council but they are allowing for the tilers, floor guys etc to come in and measure the place. Has any thought about sanding and varnishing the wooden floor in the bedrooms??

Hi All,

I just have a few questions for people who have bought these houses to date. We live in the area currently and are very happy here so are thinking of going for a place here in the next phase:

Thanks a mil and congrats to the new neighbours!!

Heating isn't particularly noisy, i don't remember noticing it but these days it's only on briefly in the morning for the water.

Broadband should be available from Friday through eir, according to the builders. Theoretically that means Vodafone and Sky broadband are available too. Eir and Vodafone provide tv over the same wires as the broadband. If you want tv independent of broadband then I'm afraid the only option right now is a saorview aerial and satellite dish, which is against management company rules but since they haven't provided adequate services then I don't think they can complain.

There's some <snip> called cablewatch which provides a virginmedia-type (broadband and tv through cable) service to the apartments, <snip> and if you do some searching on the internet about them you'll probably decide to steer clear. Management company says that an alternative to cablewatch is coming, but they won't say who. Builders say that eventually virginmedia is coming. Virginmedia themselves say that they are going to come in at some point but nothing is scheduled.

Don't really know about the personal touches but I can't imagine they'd object to flowerboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 1dav

Hi all,

Could you please PM me contact to snagger if you were happy with his service.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

Can't answer this one as we haven't moved in yet.

You're tied in. The fees the solicitors quoted to us came in a hair under 900, so a little less then the estate agents suggested.

It includes bins, the gym and general maintenance of the estate including your front "garden" so it's not as bad as it would seem at first glance. The bins and the gym are probably worth E500 to us straight off.

One thing I was wary of was that apartment block specific costs like lift maintenance weren't being included in the cost of the houses and they're not. It is a huge management company with 1000 properties and I think long term there's probably some scope to have the fees reduced (e.g. there's a security guard on site and full time staff)

You're pretty restricted. It's laid out in the contract so you'll get a chance to review it before you sign anything binding. No mention of flower boxes. There are bits about net curtains, for sale signs, front door colour and the like. The planting in the front "garden" is actually part of the drainage scheme so that's maintained by the management company. The houses are full brick so options like painting the front is gone anyway.

If there's a restriction that really bothers you, there's always the option to get involved in the management company and campaign for change.

Apparently not yet, but hopefully in the next few weeks!

Thanks PhoenixParker and Nordstrom!
    I'm actually quite put off after hearing those things about the management agency. If we're buying a house then surely we should have control over what colour we paint the door and the type of curtains we choose to put up. Also I feel with management fees they start off reasonable and increase year on year so it's gets more expensive.

Does the house come with floors in it? Just had seen someone earlier say they do not come with floors laid. I guess I'm wondering if it's fitted with floors, kitchen, painted etc or is it just the shell you are getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thanks PhoenixParker and Nordstrom!
    I'm actually quite put off after hearing those things about the management agency. If we're buying a house then surely we should have control over what colour we paint the door and the type of curtains we choose to put up. Also I feel with management fees they start off reasonable and increase year on year so it's gets more expensive.

Does the house come with floors in it? Just had seen someone earlier say they do not come with floors laid. I guess I'm wondering if it's fitted with floors, kitchen, painted etc or is it just the shell you are getting.

It's very common in a managed development that you can't alter the external appearance of the development, sometimes It's a planning permission requirement. Either way, if you want that house, you sign the contract and are legally obliged to comply.

On the issue of fees, management fees can indeed come down. They vary according to the development budget which will change when things like insurance increases but also when things like electricity or maintenance costs are reduced. If you're worried about fees, get involved. Become a director of the management company or at the very least attend every agm. Nobody is going to protect your investment better than you can, so these are ways to have your say.

• Advertisement

In this case the management company has been set up and operational for ten years. The houses are joining the existing apartments (albeit only liable for a subset of the expenses). There's about 225 new dwellings set to join the 900 or so already part of the management company so there's scope for economies of scale there.

As aththrasna said if you don't like a rule you can get involved and change it. The front door one is the only one that bugged me really and it struck me as easy enough to change.

Most estates have some sort of management fee these days, even my parent's in a 1980s build, who don't have a management company pay €200 towards upkeep of the green in their estate. Due to its size, royal canal park basically operates as a town council. For stuff like the playground and the community centre, I'm willing to go with it.

No floors. None of the new builds come with floors that I'm aware of.

Advertisement