Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants sublet house without permission

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

utmbuilder wrote: »
    How did they not claim breach of privacy as mentioned in the rta

Because you have no expectation of privacy in the common areas of a building and a nice poster was put that the common areas were being monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

GGTrek wrote: »
    Because you have no expectation of privacy in the common areas of a building

Interception of post is far beyond the remit of the RTB and a high court matter typically only granted by Conditions justifying interception in interests of security of State.

If they had you on public record in a tribunal and took a high court action you could of ended up with a lean on your house even taken photos of envelopes

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

utmbuilder wrote: »
    Interception of post is far beyond the remit of the RTB and a high court matter typically only granted by Conditions justifying interception in interests of security of State.

If they had you on public record in a tribunal and took a high court action you could of ended up with a lean on your house even taken photos of envelopes
    Again you are making too many assumptions. I did not intercept any post. The post was dropped on the floor of the common areas (again visible by anyone entering the building) and during inspections photos where taken of the envelipes with name and address of the illegal occupier.
    You are over thinking especially on "high court" case of someone who is illegally occupying.
    If you are trying to legally scare me you have really got the wrong guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

Ah thats all your doing. Your right thats totally normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

So how does a situation like this work with regards to creating a tenancy? I spoke to RTB recently and they advised that a tenancy exists from the time someone lives at a property irrespective of whether they are on a lease or paying rent or not, and as a result they are entitled to their own rights and notice outside of what a LL might reasonably expect on the basis that the property was not rented to that person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭rightmove

Whatever op decides hope he can come back and tell us how it works out. Saying that I think they have just started and there may be more issues down the road. What gave them the impression they could break the terms of the lease? Esp so early. If the ll did this would they be so accommodating?? Doubt it. Prtb would make sure of that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

kcdiom wrote: »
    So how does a situation like this work with regards to creating a tenancy? I spoke to RTB recently and they advised that a tenancy exists from the time someone lives at a property irrespective of whether they are on a lease or paying rent or not, and as a result they are entitled to their own rights and notice outside of what a LL might reasonably expect on the basis that the property was not rented to that person.

That is rubbish. there are difficulties when a landlord knows someone is there and accepts rent from such a person. A person can be living in a property as a lodger and it has nothing to do with the RTB. Equally a person can be a licensee of a tenant and does not acquire tenancy rights until 6 months have passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

That is rubbish. there are difficulties when a landlord knows someone is there and accepts rent from such a person. A person can be living in a property as a lodger and it has nothing to do with the RTB. Equally a person can be a licensee of a tenant and does not acquire tenancy rights until 6 months have passed.

So the RTB gave incorrect information? Lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Marcusm wrote: »
    4 people in a 3 bed house and rent paid on time! Not a chance that the RTB would uphold a notice of termination.

Nonsense. the amount of misinformation spouted on this topic is incredible.
    according to the op they have doubled the number of tenants.
    this is a clear case of subletting, and IS a serious breach of the LA.
    the LL is entitled to evict if he follows the correct procedure, as previously outlined.

in case you didn't know the RTB adjudicates both for and AGAINST tenants btw.

just because you don't like something, that does not make it illegal.:D

People are getting their wires crossed all over the place in here. I've sought clarification on a very similar matter in an RTB hearing before and the adjudicator spelled it out for all sides like this:

1. Owner rents property to person A. Owner becomes LL and A becomes tenant (RTA applies).
    2. A then brings in B & C to help pay the rent. A then also becomes a live-in LL, with B & C becoming licensees of A....(RTA does not apply)..
    3. The only way A can sublet the property is if they move out and rent the property to B & C exclusively (RTA applies).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

I thought the RTB existed to defend delinquent tenants at all costs and drag landlords over hot coals for the craic!

Good to hear they hear both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If you want to operate at the 2019 hard core record rent levels then you have to accept an element of risk that something like this could happen.

As people battle to keep on top of rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pjackson

I have now resolved the issue to my satisfaction with the original and additional tenants. One party will be moving on shortly leaving me with 3 tenants under a fresh lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 eoing90

Well done op. Hopefully it all works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Old diesel wrote: »
    If you want to operate at the 2019 hard core record rent levels then you have to accept an element of risk that something like this could happen.

As people battle to keep on top of rents.

This risk happens regardless of what rent is set.
    Subletting has always been a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Nonsense. the amount of misinformation spouted on this topic is incredible.
    according to the op they have doubled the number of tenants.
    this is a clear case of subletting, and IS a serious breach of the LA.
    the LL is entitled to evict if he follows the correct procedure, as previously outlined.

just because you don't like something, that does not make it illegal.:D

Neither you nor I know what is contained in the lease agreement and whether there is an express clause prohibiting further occupants. I find it hard to conceive of any 3 bedroom property which would be overcrowded with 4 occupants hence why I have suggested that a claim that it is overcrowded would be unlikely to succeed.

Whether the addition of additional occupants is a sufficiently significant breach of the lease terms would have to be determined based on the facts, many of which are not known to us.

Irrespective, before the LL would get any traction with the RTB, they would have to engage with the cited tenants and give them an opportunity to remedy the situation.

On another point, irrespectively of how strongly you feel about this, nothing contemplated here is “illegal”. It may constitute a breach of the contractual arrangements but no offence is being committed.

Browney7 wrote: »
    I thought the RTB existed to defend delinquent tenants at all costs and drag landlords over hot coals for the craic!

Good to hear they hear both sides

i dont subscribe to the view that they are there to victimise LLs.
    if a LL or a tenant is acting lawfully, then they have nothing to fear.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Neither you nor I know what is contained in the lease agreement and whether there is an express clause prohibiting further occupants. I find it hard to conceive of any 3 bedroom property which would be overcrowded with 4 occupants hence why I have suggested that a claim that it is overcrowded would be unlikely to succeed.

Whether the addition of additional occupants is a sufficiently significant breach of the lease terms would have to be determined based on the facts, many of which are not known to us.

Irrespective, before the LL would get any traction with the RTB, they would have to engage with the cited tenants and give them an opportunity to remedy the situation.

On another point, irrespectively of how strongly you feel about this, nothing contemplated here is “illegal”. It may constitute a breach of the contractual arrangements but no offence is being committed.

most posters here including myself have encouraged the LL to initially speak with his tenants in order to resolve the issue, which if you care to read the thread you will see he has done, the issue as i understand it was not overcrowding, but sub-letting. every TA i have ever seen, contained a specific clause prohibiting sub-letting.
    it is reasonable to assume this is the case here also. again if you read the thread you will see from his opening post the OP states he believes they were in breach of the lease, but maybe you know better???

beauf wrote: »
    This risk happens regardless of what rent is set.
    Subletting has always been a thing.

Sky high rents and a severe housing shortage means that people who normally wouldnt dream of getting into messy situations in terms of subletting - either as main official tenant or as the friend/colleague who is renting a room in a sublet situation.

Are more likely to do it out of frustration.

Sky high rents and a severe housing shortage means that people who normally wouldnt dream of getting into messy situations in terms of subletting - either as main official tenant or as the friend/colleague who is renting a room in a sublet situation.

if LLs squeeze the last euro out of their properties, then they are more likely to encounter these issues.

it's very important to call regularily on your property. the odd unannounced visit is best.
    also a friendly nosey neighbour is always a good thing. leave them your mobile.

• Advertisement

You can't squeeze anything there is RPZ.
    And cause of the shortage and increased demand and rent is economic policy.

Sub letting clauses have been in leases forever. They didn't just appear in the last 10yrs.

So it's ok to break the rules if you're frustrated.

You can't squeeze anything there is RPZ.
    And cause of the shortage and increased demand and rent is economic policy.

Sub letting clauses have been in leases forever. They didn't just appear in the last 10yrs.

are you telling me all LLs strictly adhere to RPZ rules?
    my God i have so misjudged them. i feel so bad. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

People are getting their wires crossed all over the place in here. I've sought clarification on a very similar matter in an RTB hearing before and the adjudicator spelled it out for all sides like this:

1. Owner rents property to person A. Owner becomes LL and A becomes tenant (RTA applies).
    2. A then brings in B & C to help pay the rent. A then also becomes a live-in LL, with B & C becoming licensees of A....(RTA does not apply)..
    3. The only way A can sublet the property is if they move out and rent the property to B & C exclusively (RTA applies).

2. Above is not correct. Under the RTA a licensee who has been resident in a property for 6 months can apply to be a tenant.

So it's ok to break the rules if you're frustrated.

I'm saying it's an outcome of rent levels that are completely insane.

The system is broken - but then we already know that.

are you telling me all LLs strictly adhere to RPZ rules?
    my God i have so misjudged them. i feel so bad. :o

You seem to be implying the only reason rents rise is if someone breaks the rules.

Sticking to the rpz rules doesn't stop rents from rising.

This was common knowledge before they implemented the rpz but no one would listen.

It especially favours the REIT companies who seem to aim for the more profitable high end.

I'm saying it's an outcome of rent levels that are completely insane.

The system is broken - but then we already know that.

I remember people doing it all the time decades ago. People do it because there is no real penalty for doing it.

You seem to be implying the only reason rents rise is if someone breaks the rules.

Sticking to the rpz rules doesn't stop rents from rising.

This was common knowledge before they implemented the rpz but no one would listen.

It especially favours the REIT companies who seem to aim for the more profitable high end.

i never implied any such thing.
    please do not misconstrue what i said.

I remember people doing it all the time decades ago. People do it because there is no real penalty for doing it.

some LLs actively encourage & profit from it.
    OMG! :eek:

• Advertisement

4ensic15 wrote: »
    2. Above is not correct. Under the RTA a licensee who has been resident in a property for 6 months can apply to be a tenant.

So it is correct.......up until the 6 month mark. And only then can their situation be regularised after application?

I'd like to know what would happen if the tenant's licencee becomes a tenant themselves? What then? The landlord is stuck with more tenants which they haven't vetted or quite possibly never even met? What if tenant A then decides to move out?

Advertisement