Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shackleton Park, Lucan

• 16-05-2017 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37 Skelp

Any thoughts on the new development being launched in Lucan this week. I went to see Parkside which features the same houses by the same developer. Nice houses with very good finishes however very disappointed with the floor layouts.Kitchen/living room are roughly half the area of a standard three bed semi d in Lucan. The fact that many are three storey helps make up the overall size.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/shackleton-park-shackleton-park-lucan-dublin/3989130

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Skelp wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the new development being launched in Lucan this week. I went to see Parkside which features the same houses by the same developer. Nice houses with very good finishes however very disappointed with the floor layouts.Kitchen/living room are roughly half the area of a standard three bed semi d in Lucan. The fact that many are three storey helps make up the overall size.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/shackleton-park-shackleton-park-lucan-dublin/3989130

It sells itself as 'being on the edge of Lucan village'- which to be brutally honest- is totally BS. Its at the end of Tandys Lane- at the back of Adamstown- incorporating some of Liam Lawlor's family property (which for some reason hasn't been built on).

I live in Lucan village- and have been baffled by the hoarding going up at the Ball Alley about this development- which implies its somewhere in the village- it most certainly is not (and the fact that its not- is reflected in the prices they've announced for some of the units starting at 295k- there are apartments in the village going for more).

Visit the site- see exactly where it is- and do it again at peak traffic time. Even the suggestion that you can come down by Dodsboro is a laugh (I've helped remove 2 cars that ended up in the ditch there over the last weekend- both drivers blamed the narrow road- and the rain).

Visit the site- see exactly where it is- and look at the development with your eyes fully open. The location of this development is highly problematic- and this is factored into the prices in the development. Don't kid yourself though- go and have a look at where they are- and if you really like them- visit the area at peak traffic times- and see if you're still as taken with them (and for crying out- be careful on Tandy's Lane).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AshlingV123

Went to see the show suite on Thursday evening and wasn't over impressed. Not really much space for parking. Don't think they have sold out and I couldn't see people queuing from the night before.

I'm not impressed either- however, to give them their due- show me a single development, anywhere in the country- where prospective buyers are queuing overnight- its simply not happening anymore.......

295 for the 3 bed- seems to be derisable- and if they think they can get 595 for a 5 bed- when you have Rokeby and recent sales in Laraghcon- at these prices- I'm sorry, someone setting the prices is delusional........

Also- whatever about parking- access to the place is scant and I don't see any plans to redo the road.

Its selling itself as being 'on the outskirts of Lucan village' I'd argue that this is also fanciful- its off up beyond Dodsboro at the back of Adamstown........

Perhaps it may be of interest to some people- however, there are areas which are considered 'prestigious' in Lucan- going for the prices these are seeking- I just don't see it flying.

Hop onto Propertypriceregister.ie and put in Laraghcon, Lucan and Rokeby, Lucan- to see the recent prices achieved in those two estates- and compare what you're getting there- with the show houses in Shackleton Park.

Something does not compute...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I'm not impressed either- however, to give them their due- show me a single development, anywhere in the country- where prospective buyers are queuing overnight- its simply not happening anymore.......

295 for the 3 bed- seems to be derisable- and if they think they can get 595 for a 5 bed- when you have Rokeby and recent sales in Laraghcon- at these prices- I'm sorry, someone setting the prices is delusional........

Also- whatever about parking- access to the place is scant and I don't see any plans to redo the road.

Its selling itself as being 'on the outskirts of Lucan village' I'd argue that this is also fanciful- its off up beyond Dodsboro at the back of Adamstown........

Perhaps it may be of interest to some people- however, there are areas which are considered 'prestigious' in Lucan- going for the prices these are seeking- I just don't see it flying.

Hop onto Propertypriceregister.ie and put in Laraghcon, Lucan and Rokeby, Lucan- to see the recent prices achieved in those two estates- and compare what you're getting there- with the show houses in Shackleton Park.

Something does not compute...........

All valid points but there is 20 million allocated to link up the road. But yes, it's on the outskirts and 595 for a 5 bed is just nuts. 295 for 3 bed par for the course really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I'd consider anything that far south of the N4 to be well beyond the 'outskirts' of the village. I live near the new (St. Andrews) school and consider that to be the outskirts!.

• Advertisement

Have an e-mail from the vendor advising there is still availability- if anyone is interested..........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It sells itself as 'being on the edge of Lucan village'- which to be brutally honest- is totally BS. Its at the end of Tandys Lane- at the back of Adamstown- incorporating some of Liam Lawlor's family property (which for some reason hasn't been built on).

Cairn seem to do this a bit, see Albany, Killiney :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Nastygal2511

Have an e-mail from the vendor advising there is still availability- if anyone is interested..........
    Did they say what house numbers?

Did they say what house numbers?

Nope- just that there is availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I love their timings , 21 minutes to the airport and 2 minutes drive to the nearest school. That would be great, if you only go to the airport or school at 4am.

You would spend 25 mins driving to the secondary school opposite superquinn at 8.30am

• Advertisement

You would spend 25 mins driving to the secondary school opposite superquinn at 8.30am

According to DCAL- at peak morning traffic (8AM to 10AM)- it averages 22 minutes on weekdays from the Leixlip slip to the M50- and god have mercy on your soul on the M50............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I love their timings , 21 minutes to the airport and 2 minutes drive to the nearest school. That would be great, if you only go to the airport or school at 4am.

Hilarious. Remands me of those Celtic Tiger estates in the middle of nowhere that were '20 minutes to Dublin'. Didn't specify where in Dublin mind you.....

Anyone know if there are any 3 beds left?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

Shackleton is on the outskirts of Lucan but so is Rokeby Park and, to a lesser extent, Laraghcon. Traffic from Rokeby and Laraghcon is quite bad as well. None of these 3 estates appeal to me for these reasons.

Distances to shops / village are similar:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Superquinn,+Newcastle+Road,+Lucan/Shackleton+Park,+Dodsborough+Rd,+Doddsborough,+Lucan,+Co.+Dublin/@53.3461166,-6.4676234,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867724d6fbb9e6b:0xaac3af392ae77f07!2m2!1d-6.4530175!2d53.3479553!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867724a82628fe3:0xe9caded0296b94d1!2m2!1d-6.4659067!2d53.3475541!3e2

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Rokeby+Park,+Fingal/Lucan+Village+Pharmacy,+Lucan/@53.3609177,-6.4535629,16z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867725cce7c34bd:0xb4cdfbefe83e7b6c!2m2!1d-6.455319!2d53.3640443!1m5!1m1!1s0x486772507e082ba3:0xc9ad1cb66af251d3!2m2!1d-6.450591!2d53.35667!3e2

kaymin wrote: »

You're having me on about Rokeby and Laraghcon- I actually live on Main Street in the Village and walk up there with my kids to St. Catherine's and Hemrycks at least once a week. I'm also well familiar with Rokeby (I grew up in the area). The whole Laraghcon/Coldblow area- is a straightforward- and more pertinently, safe, walk to the village- I wouldn't dream of allowing my children walk the other way (I've helped a few people who went off the road up there this year so far- and thats in fairly reasonable weather conditions).

I've no particular love for Laraghcon- nor apparently do the many people who have sold there in the last 24 months (see propertypriceregister.ie for the bewildering number of sales up there)- but I also don't have any love whatsoever for Hawkridge or the other 'luxury gated communities' of Lucan.

Shackleton Park is trying to skirt on the coattails of the likes of Hawkridge/Laraghcon/Rokeby- with a Ryanair'esque understanding of 'outskirts of Lucan'.

Saying somewhere a 2.6km walk away is 'on the outskirts of the village' is telling a porkie pie in my mind.

As for bad traffic- I live on main street in the village. Its far from unusual for it to take >20 minutes to get from the Garda Baracks to Ulster Bank (I'm in one of the townhouses there). At least Laraghcon/Rokeby get priority into the village (by virtue of the traffic lights being managed by Fingal Co. Co, and not South Dublin Co. Co.- the bridge over the river liffey being the border between the two local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

You're having me on about Rokeby and Laraghcon- I actually live on Main Street in the Village and walk up there with my kids to St. Catherine's and Hemrycks at least once a week. I'm also well familiar with Rokeby (I grew up in the area). The whole Laraghcon/Coldblow area- is a straightforward- and more pertinently, safe, walk to the village- I wouldn't dream of allowing my children walk the other way (I've helped a few people who went off the road up there this year so far- and thats in fairly reasonable weather conditions).

I've no particular love for Laraghcon- nor apparently do the many people who have sold there in the last 24 months (see propertypriceregister.ie for the bewildering number of sales up there)- but I also don't have any love whatsoever for Hawkridge or the other 'luxury gated communities' of Lucan.

Shackleton Park is trying to skirt on the coattails of the likes of Hawkridge/Laraghcon/Rokeby- with a Ryanair'esque understanding of 'outskirts of Lucan'.

Saying somewhere a 2.6km walk away is 'on the outskirts of the village' is telling a porkie pie in my mind.

As for bad traffic- I live on main street in the village. Its far from unusual for it to take >20 minutes to get from the Garda Baracks to Ulster Bank (I'm in one of the townhouses there). At least Laraghcon/Rokeby get priority into the village (by virtue of the traffic lights being managed by Fingal Co. Co, and not South Dublin Co. Co.- the bridge over the river liffey being the border between the two local authorities.

The reason I posted was because of your disdain for Shackleton in favour of Rokeby / Laraghcon seemed unjustified. My point is that none of the 3 are particularly appealing.

Rokeby / Laraghcon seem a bit barren / lifeless and traffic to get anywhere except North side is a problem. Granted they're close to st. Catherine's and if the new road goes through there the road links will improve dramatically. They're significantly more expensive than Shackleton though. Cheapest house in Rokeby was 675k and very few are at that level.

I'd be amazed if they were not obliged to improve footpaths in the Lucan direction from Shackleton.

I don't disagree with your comment about being 'on the outskirts of Lucan's though distance from shops / schools from each estate is comparable which would be of more interest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

How are you measuring this?

I measured the walk on Google maps from the entrance to the site in Shackleton Park, down through Dodsborough, walking past Tesco, over the N4 footbridge and arriving at Courtney's in 20 min (you can do it in 15 briskly). It's a 1.7 KM walk by Google's calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭yannakis

Col_30 wrote: »
    I measured the walk on Google maps from the entrance to the site in Shackleton Park, down through Dodsborough, walking past Tesco, over the N4 footbridge and arriving at Courtney's in 20 min (you can do it in 15 briskly). It's a 1.7 KM walk by Google's calculations.

Thank me later :cool: https://goo.gl/maps/YGcmg8av8ay

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Skelp

Its a very high density residential development even by local standards. Little or no common green areas in an area of 267 houses is extraordinary but not unusual in some of the developments in the last 12 months. Is there a legal obligation in the planning process to provide green areas?

Its a very high density residential development even by local standards. Little or no common green areas in an area of 267 houses is extraordinary but not unusual in some of the developments in the last 12 months. Is there a legal obligation in the planning process to provide green areas?

Its probably piggy-backing on pre-existing green areas in the vicinity- St. Catherines is less than 2 miles away? It seems to have a rather fluid understanding of the terms 'outskirts' and 'vicinity'.......

• Advertisement

Have a look in the brochure and you will see that there are 2 parks planned. One adjacent to the estate itself. And then the larger Airlie Park, which is supposed to form the centerpiece of Adamstown.

When these are delivered is anyone's guess, but they are planned and should be great if provided.

https://www.shackletonpark.com/s/SHACKLETON_web.pdf

Have a look in the brochure and you will see that there are 2 parks planned. One adjacent to the estate itself. And then the larger Airlie Park, which is supposed to form the centerpiece of Adamstown.

When these are delivered is anyone's guess, but they are planned and should be great if provided.

https://www.shackletonpark.com/s/SHACKLETON_web.pdf

50 Acres of public parks planned nearby?

50 Acres of public parks planned nearby?

Lucan Demesne (which is linked to St. Catherine's park) is a 10 minute walk from here. Are you just a north Lucan snob who thinks anything south of the N4 is rubbish? :D

Lucan Demesne (which is linked to St. Catherine's park) is a 10 minute walk from here. Are you just a north Lucan snob who thinks anything south of the N4 is rubbish? :D

I don't think anyone who knows me would call me a snob- I do however live in Lucan village- and have done for most of my 43 years on this earth. I went to school there as a kid- and have seen Lucan change beyond all recognition.

I just don't see 50 acres of undeveloped land in the immediate vicinity of Shackleton that is available for a public park- and I did look at the maps.

I also don't think everything up the 12th Locke is rubbish- by a long shot- I do however think its been massively over developed, and I nearly cry anytime I get caught in the traffic up there (usually happens once or twice a week when I accidentally get caught there at peak times- though schools will be out for summer imminently).

I also work in the immediate vicinity- I got lucky and managed to get out of Dublin.........

I don't think anyone who knows me would call me a snob- I do however live in Lucan village- and have done for most of my 43 years on this earth. I went to school there as a kid- and have seen Lucan change beyond all recognition.

I just don't see 50 acres of undeveloped land in the immediate vicinity of Shackleton that is available for a public park- and I did look at the maps.

I also don't think everything up the 12th Locke is rubbish- by a long shot- I do however think its been massively over developed, and I nearly cry anytime I get caught in the traffic up there (usually happens once or twice a week when I accidentally get caught there at peak times- though schools will be out for summer imminently).

I also work in the immediate vicinity- I got lucky and managed to get out of Dublin.........

I completely agree with you regarding traffic in the area. It's very difficult, but there are public transport options to avoid it if you need to get to the city during rush hour(s).

The train from Adamstown station to the city centre is an excellent addition to the area and should ease some of the traffic problems.

I lived in the area for 7 years and the traffic is only hellish around school run time. Maybe politicians could look at more inventive ways to get kids to school that does not involve the use of private vehicles.

The town I grew up in is also unrecognizable from when I was a child and I'm a bit younger than you. This happens everywhere. And also as badly planned as Lucan development in the 90's/00's.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Skelp

"Sur isn't there a park only over the road" is what Ballymun residents were told in the 1960's. That worked out well.

Residents who bought in Adamstown were promised a whole range of facilities in 2007 but little or none have been provided and its turning into an extension of the Lucan sprawl.

Even if these parks are developed they will be done by the council with a tiny contribution from the developers. Why are developers being excused from providing green spaces? If you have young children you can't really say to them walk a half a mile down the road to the local park in order to kick a football around. Whatever happened to having a central green area in an estate where children can play? Indeed the argument about using the park for children is ridiculous when you look at what is going on in the parks in Lucan. Griffeen Valley Park is like downtown Mosul with anti scoial behaviour the last couple of weeks and it seems to be spreading to St Catherines Park this week. Certainly not child friendly and going to get a lot worse in years to come.

I just put a booking deposit on a 3 bed semi detached at 320k. I feel the pricing is good and I am happy that I have my own front drive. Has anyone else purchased here? We are on Shakelton Green in the phase that was released today.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Newbie xx

Delighted you got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 23ChaChaCha

Hi

I've put a booking deposit on a 3 bed on the road just behind on Shackleton Close. I was recommended to go see a similar showbouse also built by Cairn in Parkside beside Belamyne and I really loved the layout, size and use of space. The finish looked really good too. I think they're a good price when you compare them to some of the other new developments which dont have as good a layout, specifications or use of space. Im excited I really hope it's going to be a nice neighbourhood 😊

• Advertisement

Hi

I've put a booking deposit on a 3 bed on the road just behind on Shackleton Close. I was recommended to go see a similar showbouse also built by Cairn in Parkside beside Belamyne and I really loved the layout, size and use of space. The finish looked really good too. I think they're a good price when you compare them to some of the other new developments which dont have as good a layout, specifications or use of space. Im excited I really hope it's going to be a nice neighbourhood 😊

Me too, did you go for a semi detached or terrace/ end of terrace? I hope there is a nice community feel. When are you hoping to be in?

Advertisement