Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU FM

• 24-08-2008 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm gonna be starting in DCU this September and DCU FM is one of the many things I'm dying to get involved in.

I'm just wondering if anyone here is involved in anyway, and if you are, what could you tell me about it? I know that in the past it hasn't been that active; only broadcasting two weeks of the year and such. I hope that's not the case now.

Anyone care to fill me in?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Every year they hand an old half broken speaker out the window of a room in the hub and have the volume cranked up to about 12 when all you can hear is a defeaning noise and make out an occasional **** meoldy.

I would have liked to be involved in it as, well .... Radio is pretty cool and sound engineering would be something I like. However their attitude with blasting white noise out loudly from a speaker neve really went well with me. Id have been in favour with turning it down so people could actually hear it.

Oh, and decent music.

I am sure they have improved recently, they have had a new change of people who had their heads on last year/upcoming this year or so. I am no longer in DCU so dont know what they are like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭giveliberty

Im really interested in joining too, Radio can be a lot of fun, and excellent way of exploring issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I remember i saw a comment on bbc.co.uk/essentialmix from one of the guys from DCU FM.

Something along the lines of "stomping mix this weekend. I'll continue to inform people all over ireland about the essential mix- Mark DCU FM". He wont be informing anyone from one speaker hanging out a window. Tosser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 2-D Man

c0rk3r wrote: »
    I remember i saw a comment on bbc.co.uk/essentialmix from one of the guys from DCU FM.

Something along the lines of "stomping mix this weekend. I'll continue to inform people all over ireland about the essential mix- Mark DCU FM". He wont be informing anyone from one speaker hanging out a window. Tosser

Quit your trolling "tosser".

Phantom FM were broadcasting from DCU FM all day today and will be there over the year as they are interested in tying in with them.

DCU FM has recently purchased E8,500 worth of new equipment and an application for a five year institutional license has been submitted to the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland.

All in all it's looking like it will finally be back on air and not just webcasting.

If you'd like to get involved you can contact

Chris (Programmes Officer) at djchrismedway@msn.com

or Mark (Station Manager) at jacknamestheplanets@hotmail.com

Cheers :)

Tarlach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'm with Winters on this, the fact they never figured out how to use the Hub's proper sound system and had to resort to a giant speaker blasting excessive noise at people who didn't want to know doesn't say much for their radio skills.

[edit]That said, if they're a little more organised now, good luck :)[/edit]

• Advertisement

Igy wrote: »
    I'm with Winters on this, the fact they never figured out how to use the Hub's proper sound system and had to resort to a giant speaker blasting excessive noise at people who didn't want to know doesn't say much for their radio skills.

[edit]That said, if they're a little more organised now, good luck :)[/edit]

yeah I know what you're saying, was a bit silly alright.

To be fair they seem to have done a lot of work over the summer. Chris works with 98fm and Mark worked with NEAR FM and Spin so they seem like they've got some experience. Another lad Michael (I think) is doing some good work there and they seem to have a large team of people behind them for once.

Was in there with Phantom today and the new equipment is great and apparently the SU and the Humanities school are eager to get involved too.

Hopefully it will be up and running in the new year (license app takes 6 months to process!!!! ) it's a shame that a college renowned for it's media courses hasn't a proper radio station.

I hope I get my jazz show :D

Cheers
    Tarlach

Good news all

Was at the MPS meeting today, apparently they got over 220 members this year!!

Anyway, DCU FM is now run by a joint committee made up of 3 members of MPS (President, Chairperson and Station Manager) and 3 members of the SPC. Basically it means they will be getting more money and hopefully it will be getting tied in with the Communications course.

Apparently it will be online in Novemeber and hopefully on air temporarily at the end of Novemeber and on air full time if it license gets approved at the start ofthe new year!

There'll be a DCU FM meeting next week at some point

The contacts are

fmmanager@dcumps.com - Mark
    fmtech@dcumps.com - Michael
    fmprog@dcumps.com - Chris

It's looking good :) hopefully we'll have a college radio station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

2-D Man wrote: »
    Good news all

Anyway, DCU FM is now run by a joint committee made up of 3 members of MPS (President, Chairperson and Station Manager) and 3 members of the SPC. Basically it means they will be getting more money and hopefully it will be getting tied in with the Communications course.

Well it is three members of the MPS commitee the chair of the SPC, SU president and the SU Events Officer. It was essentially established to ensure that the Radio studio does not fall into neglect as before, but also to assist the MPS in every way they need it. It will be MPS "run" bar a few SU events but if MPS happen to fall apart in the future the committee can take over untill a "new" MPS can be formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

Any more news with this?

Will mail one of the MPS mails tomorrow and ask the question anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 El_Magnifigo

Sorta off topic-ish, but I joined MPS, and havent gotten a single e-mail or anything off them yet :( When are the weekly meetings or is there any scheduled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Sorta off topic-ish, but I joined MPS, and havent gotten a single e-mail or anything off them yet :( When are the weekly meetings or is there any scheduled?

I was in the same boat so I just emailed the chair and got added on the list. She pointed out that loads of people got left off it due to bad handwriting.

Anyhoo, there's a talk on film and TV production on October 28th. More info at www.dcumps.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I went along to the EGM and got voted First year rep.
    Delighted with myself, so I am.

As far as I know, DCU FM will be getting started in November sometime, but don't quote me on that. We were meant to have a committee meeting today, but it was called off for some reason.

I'll let you know what I hear.

Meanwhile, if freshers have an issue to raise with MPS, I'm your man...

firstyearrep@dcumps.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TinkTank

Hi there, I'm the webmaster for the Media Production Society ( & DCUfm), to respond to legendal and El_Magnifigo's problem with email, it is true we had trouble reading some of the handwriting. If it is the case you are not receiving emails please let me know, my email is aidan@dcumps.com.

There also seems to be a problem with people who are using hotmail, the mail is going in to your spam section. This is something you will have to rectifiy yourself.

I also post any mass emails sent from the committee on the website: www.dcumps.com

I hope this is of some help, and if you need to conact me or anybody else on the committee please don't hesitate - we are here to help. All committee members emails are also on our website.

For those interested in a position in DCUfm there will be a meeting in CG12 on Thursday 30th of October at 6pm.

For anybody interested in production for TV or Film, Grainne O'Carroll will be giving a talk on Tuesday 28th Oct at 7pm in C104.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

TinkTank wrote: »
    There also seems to be a problem with people who are using hotmail, the mail is going in to your spam section. This is something you will have to rectifiy yourself.

The CAO (grrrr) have a guide on fixing that, for anyone that's interested :D
    http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=hotmailhelp

Advertisement