Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I am a fellow disc lover, I much prefer to use them than an anonymous bunch of files on a HDD.

Even DVD-R's apparently :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've yet to have any of my original console's lasers crap out actually. Even my PS1, which probably got by far the most use out of all of them, is still going strong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    Even DVD-R's apparently :D

Well... That's all research!
    And I can hardly be found lacking in the PS2 collection dept, it's just to occasional one or two that is waaay too expensive, so I can now play Ibara again!

Well... That's all research!
    And I can hardly be found lacking in the PS2 collection dept, it's just to occasional one or two that is waaay too expensive, so I can now play Ibara again!

Ah yeah, only joking. Real cd's/discs definitely add to the experience. When it comes to DVDR's etc though, they don't do anything for me tbh. I'd rather at that stage use an HDD knowing I'm at least saving on wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

I sorta lost interest in gaming during the PS2 era when I was in my early 20s. I think Inviere went through a similar phase.

So the laser still works fine on my phat PS2 which I still have today due to lack of use back then.

I did play it occasionally though.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    I sorta lost interest in gaming during the PS2 era when I was in my early 20s. I think Inviere went through a similar phase.

Yep, girls & other stuff came along, gaming took a serious backseat for several years thereafter. As a result, I've no real attachment to anything on PS2. I see its library being one of the best out there, but it's all over my head mostly :o

Master of the Universe

Same here unfortunately, bought a PS2 in 2001. Also turned 17. I think I mentioned before, but became disillusioned by how much I disliked Metal Gear Solid 2 after years of waiting for it, so just kinda stopped playing. There also wasn't enough of an advancement in how games felt over their PS1 counterparts, I was expecting a much bigger leap at the time.

Only started getting into gaming again when I purchased a Snes on ebay in 2003. Realised that while all my mates were buying new consoles, I could have older ones for pennies, so started hoovering up Snes, Megadrive, NES, n64 and PS1 games.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Only started getting into gaming again when I purchased a Snes on ebay in 2003.

That is precisely how I got back into it too. Bought a Snes on Ebay, then had the brilliant idea of collecting everything I previously owned, which evolved into collecting all the things I had wanted but never owned, and then finally began to collect, well, everything :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had a Speccy in 84-87, a break then til 90 when I got a Gameboy, gaming without break ever since.
    Collecting since I bought an import DC and then sold it, the guy didn't have the money we'd agreed on, so he gave me €100, a Snes and a Saturn.
    I think it was a Snes anyways....

Collecting ever since.

My launch PS2 was p1ss poor for releases, until a year or two in, GTA3 was probably the first game that made you have to have one.
    Around the same time you had the Xbox and GC, so it wasn't like there was nothing to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

It lives :)

44508942284_140da65982_c.jpg

Bit of a scare at the start as I wasn't getting any Green, apparently these tubes are absolute pieces of junk and prone to burning out the colour cathodes so was fearing the worst.. but some pot tweaking restored it (obviously looks a lot better in person).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Sounds like a loose solder joint , when it warms up it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Ok guys....

is there anyone here that can fix my c128....

Ok so I have run the diaganotic cartridge and the following it showing as bad....
    Stack Page
    Screen Ram
    Hi Ram Bank1
    Hi Ram Bank 0
    Blk0-2164
    U 38, 39, 40, 42, 43, 44, 45
    Blk1-2164
    U 47, 49, 50, 51

So the system is having issues...

WP_20181016_16_17_24_Pro_zpsyimlyl5j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Not sure about the Stack page, I'd say its related to the dead ram chips, which anyone with good soldering skills should easily be able to do that, they are 4264 (I believe 4164 are compatible), they are about €4 each on ebay, be a good time to socket and replace the lot them while they are out too

C128_mb_large.jpg
    16 chips labelled 11 in this pic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Gone through a bit of a re-shelling phase recently.

My DMG from 1991
    Pink AGS 001 now Gold
    GBA Clear Blue now Purple with upgraded AGS 101 screen)
    Switch with custom Joy Cons

mumelon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Gone through a bit of a re-shelling phase recently.

My DMG from 1991
    Pink AGS 001 now Gold
    GBA Clear Blue now Purple with upgraded AGS 101 screen)
    Switch with custom Joy Cons

mumelon.jpg

Love the name :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Its alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Audio on a jpac is not well catered for as it needs a separate amp plus there is no option for stereo. I noticed the pi2jamma device has a built in audio amp and taps the 12 v from pin 6 on the jamma board. No idea why the jpac doesn't do this for audio?

So I tried it out soldering the power supply for a small amp directly to the jpac pin 6 (for 12 v) and pin 1 (for ground).

Then I connected the left speaker to the speaker + and - screw terminals on the jpac. This gave perfect sound on the left speaker.

For stereo, it turns out all my stock cabs are wired for stereo on pins 11/M. This doesn't seem to be a jamma standard but that's how my cabs were wired at the factory so it must have been a popular method for stereo. Soldered speaker right+ to jpac pin 11 and speaker right- to jpac pin L. Turned it on and now have full stereo in Qsound games!

The jpac could be much improved if the above alterations were made on to the jpac pcb with an on-board amp included and maybe a toggle switch or jumper for mono/stereo wired cabs.

Master of the Universe

Anyone know if there's any way of sorting a PSU with a dirty supply of electricity?

I found a PSU on ebay for a hardrive I've had sitting around for ages that was set up to run with my Wii. (original PSU got lost in a move)

Here's the one;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Adapter-Ad6008-RS-E02AB-DA-30C01-compatible/362176149250?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D75c8446fcb4c4c0195557d7b2e5a3d0a%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D362176149250%26itm%3D362176149250&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A4e559c06-e204-11e8-9892-74dbd18027b4%7Cparentrq%3Aeac204651660aa415d78c7a8fffb2f7c%7Ciid%3A1

It powers up, drive starts and Wii detects it - one major issue, absolutely insane picture interference!

It especially ramps up when the drive is seeking.

The annoying thing is it's an older style DIN type PSU and I haven't seen any others on ebay.

Edit - feck it, found a much better quality one on ebay. Shame I didn't see that the first time around!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-5V-5-Pin-Power-Adapter-for-AD6008-and-DA-30C01/151203846442?epid=693336493&hash=item233473992a:g:0HkAAOSwe0taDF2Q:rk:2:pf:0

Master of the Universe

Well this is driving me mental.

The seller sent me another PSU, same issue.

Bought a PSU from a totally different seller, same issue again.

The three of them all look pretty similar so it's possible they come from the same Chinese factory.

It's not the harddrive as I had it working perfectly before with the original PSU.

Think I'm just going to have to invest in a new external harddrive !

Best to just get a portable drive which doesn't need a power supply and is powered by usb itself.

Like the WD Passport drives.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Best to just get a portable drive which doesn't need a power supply and is powered by usb itself.

Like the WD Passport drives.

At this stage I think I'm going to give up on it alright and pick up a USB powered drive instead. Been looking for a HDD to connect up to my Kodi box so I guess I can re purpose this one for that.

So, re: connecting the NES stick to a Famicom.
    I'm after buying a NES controller cable extender on Amazon, so the plan it to cannibalise an existing Famicom controller cable and build an adaptor with it.
    Supposed to be dead simple to do as well.

So, re: connecting the NES stick to a Famicom.
    I'm after buying a NES controller cable extender on Amazon, so the plan it to cannibalise an existing Famicom controller cable and build an adaptor with it.
    Supposed to be dead simple to do as well.

"Supposed to be dead simple but I'll get Kerbdog to do it!" :pac:

"Supposed to be dead simple but I'll get Kerbdog to do it!" :pac:

Well, yes.

On a brighter note, I haven't sold it and re-bought it yet!

Well, yes.

On a brighter note, I haven't sold it and re-bought it yet!

Yet being the operative word :p

Master of the Universe

Was having a great time playing Metal Black yesterday evening, really getting into it - after an hour of running the sound starts getting distorted and eventually went :(

Had a look and one of the capacitors around the volume pot looks a little crusty at the bottom, very mild but it's there.

I think it's about time I picked up a decent soldering iron as I seem to be getting to a point where things are breaking down at an accelerated rate. Can only forsee it getting worse!

Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    At this stage I think I'm going to give up on it alright and pick up a USB powered drive instead. Been looking for a HDD to connect up to my Kodi box so I guess I can re purpose this one for that.

Received a new WD Passport drive last night. Converted it NTFS and sent over some games in WBFS format. USBLoaderGX saw the drive, but not the games.

Did the same again in Fat32, still no games.

Finally formatted the whole drive to WBFS instead and the games appear, however when I try to run them the console freezes.

Have a feeling it's just a power issue so have a USB Y cable on the way.

Still, one step closer to actually having this up and running properly again!

sugarman wrote: »
    Might be a stupid question but had you got it plugged into the right port? I cant remember which is which, but I know only 1 works properly.

That's true, can't remember which but only one port works.

Master of the Universe

Yep! so it only works via the port closest to the side of the console. I get the games coming up and all alright, it's just they don't boot once I select them.

I'd imagine what's happening is once the game boots it's requiring more power from the harddrive and the USB port isn't able to provide it. A Y cable should (hopefully!) sort it out.

• Advertisement

How many different PS2 Phat model laser assemblies are there?

I have my hardmodded PS2 that doesn't like CDs but I also have a launch PS2 that died following a lightning strike outside.
    But the laser assembly should be fine, I wonder if it is transferable?

Advertisement