Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

44 year old . 18 stone . Learner Bike

Options
  • 27-05-2020 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

As above. . Dipping my toe in . Looking for a 2000 - 3000 bike .
    Relaxed riding position .
    I know I can start on driving school bikes.
    I would like a bike if my own for Sunday riding .
    Was thinking of something around 600 cc .
    Would value any advice greatly .
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

First bike being your size I would get a V Strom 650. See how you go then maybe 1000cc version, CBF600 also and same path to the 1000cc.

Also a cruiser might suit you.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

As Wonda says, try a V-Strom 650 or the 1000 if you can get insurance on it, I own a V-Strom, great riding position and very economical.

I was in my early 30’s on a learner permit when I bought it, couldn’t get insured on the 1000 or I’d have bought one.

A guy doing the IBT with me bought our instructors Kawasaki Versys 1000, he was 45 years old, the premium was with Principal insurance and less than €500, this was in 2018.

Just to compare, I’m give or take a cm or two 6’ 2” and was just shy of 20 stone buying my V-Strom, not a fat bloke just broad.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

I'd second a cruiser for sunday spins... Comfortable and relaxed riding position. There should be plenty of options on done deal... I'd be inclined to spend the €3k. You wont really lose anything on depreciation at the end of the scale as long as you keep it in good nick and serviced.. in my experience it's usually on sh!tbox bikes that fall below 3k

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

They look very nice . Also look comfortable

As Wonda says, try a V-Strom 650 or the 1000 if you can get insurance on it, I own a V-Strom, great riding position and very economical.

I was in my early 30’s on a learner permit when I bought it, couldn’t get insured on the 1000 or I’d have bought one.

A guy doing the IBT with me bought our instructors Kawasaki Versys 1000, he was 45 years old, the premium was with Principal insurance and less than €500, this was in 2018.

Just to compare, I’m give or take a cm or two 6’ 2” and was just shy of 20 stone buying my V-Strom, not a fat bloke just broad.

Also stick your vital statistics in this website and choose your bike and you will get a rough idea how it fits you....

That link is how a 6ft 1 male with a 34inch inseam would look for example.

https://cycle-ergo.com/

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Also stick your vital statistics in this website and choose your bike and you will get a rough idea how it fits you....

That link is how a 6ft 1 male with a 34inch inseam would look for example.

+1

This is how i am on the DL more or less

I'll have to dig out the photo of me actually on it (Again :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fr.jack09

I have a TDM for sale, great for Irish roads https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-tdm-850/24787985,

Here’s the photo I was on about. Taken in October 2019. A DL650 V-Strom and I was near 20 stone then

9-C6-D8420-E85-B-428-E-A980-9-EF10-FC7-B169.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I had a 2008 DL650 Vstrom and loved it, and I'm a portly gent too :)

It was a fantastic bike which I stupidly traded off a Kawasaki Z1000. I should have kept the Vstrom, I really can't fault it. I didn't take it outside of Ireland but it took me all over the country without ever missing a beat, and runs on a wiff of juice too.

Easy on tires, sprockets and chains top. A really fantastic bike.

Actually I will fault it, if you're over 6' you'll get a lot of wind blast but you can get a screen spoiler from Aliexpress for twenty Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

6'3" and 22 stone here. I find my Honda Deauville very comfortable. Easy to ride , and low maintenance and cheap insurance and fairly cheap to buy. Definitely worth a consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

My first bike was a Kawasaki ER6-N ...I'm 6'1" and 13 stone.

Found teh ER6 a good starter bike.

THanks for all the replies . To Update . Theory Test Booked and managed to visit Bray Honda Centre . Was concerned about height of bikes as i have a slighly dodgy hip. They kindly let me sit on a new V Strom . No issue getting on bike . So im on my way to learning .
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Old Fazer 600 or the 1000.....if you can find 1.
    Great bike that will go forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Bassy Infracted for personal abuse - won't be tolerated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yizzer don't know how good yiz have it :pac: I was 23 starting off on bikes and was restricted to 125cc.. got a 100 as it was cheaper to insure and as a two-stroke it had a bit more pep. Insurance, third party only, with the monopoly, Norwich Screwnion, in 1995, was just over IR£1000...! :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

Mak (and Japacati) I have an SV1000S, but tbh I'm thinking an SV650S might have done me.

I used to have a CBR600F - I loved whacking open the throttle and waiting for tne engine to catch up. It felt sometimes like there was a thick rubber band at the end of the throttle cable :) and feeling it hit very distinct power levels at 6000, 8000, 10000 rpm was fun :)

Litre bikes are kinda a bit much. Maybe I'm too old now, but I never actually gave my previous Triumph 955 fully wide open throttle, and the SV100S neither... so far... and I was only 34 when I bought the Triumph!

I love the feel of the SV twin but the Triumph triple engine can't be beat, imho, low down grunt like a twin while still having a top end kick like a four, and smooth too, and makes a nice noise :)

Life ain't always empty.

Zascar wrote: »
    Bassy Infracted for personal abuse - won't be tolerated here.

what did i miss ?

Zascar still alive.....!!?!???!?

jim salter wrote: »
    My first bike was a Kawasaki ER6-N ...I'm 6'1" and 13 stone.

Found teh ER6 a good starter bike.

I envy your figure :pac:

• Advertisement

Covid kilos really are a thing :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Zascar still alive.....!!?!???!?

Hahah yes I am :D - Living overseas now but I still keep an eye out to make sure you're not all misbehaving without me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yizzer don't know how good yiz have it :pac: I was 23 starting off on bikes and was restricted to 125cc.. got a 100 as it was cheaper to insure and as a two-stroke it had a bit more pep. Insurance, third party only, with the monopoly, Norwich Screwnion, in 1995, was just over IR£1000...! :eek:

ah heeyor, this beginning to sound like....

but sure seeing as you started it :P - when I started biking, I had saved up £800. Like you, a lot of my friends were on 100cc two-strokes: GP100, H100S, RXS100,and the better heeled had RD80LC, DT80/DT80LC. Back then, all those bikes would go for about £600, and with insurance at £186, fell nicely into place.

I otoh saw an ad in the Galway Advertiser for a 200cc Suzuki - I thought it was an X5 200, but it turned out to be the poor relation, an SB200, and I bought it. The maths sum was the same, but the components different: the bike was £400 (€1,004 in today's money) and insurance was £436 (€1,092 in today's money).

So, £36 over budget, at £1.50/hr.............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

You must have got in before the 125 law so - when did that come in here?

My first bike was indeed a nine year old GP100, with snazzy alloy wheels and a disc brake!

I got it nudging 70mph once on the M4 (I was on a provisional :P ) just before it burned a hole through the piston! Had to push it back up the hard shoulder for about 3 miles to get off the motorway and to a phone box (remember those?) so the brother in law could rescue me. New piston and a bit of effort clearing melted alloy bits out of the crankcase, and it was fine - but I knew not to hold wide open throttle on it for too long after that.

Life ain't always empty.

First bike was a 2 stroke Yamaha RXS 100. Great yoke. 50 mph going downhill with a tailwind. Kind of hard to kill yourself on - best way to learn. I was about 15 stone then - lost weight since - and regularly carried a pillion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

A bandit 600s is a good bullet proof bike too start out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

First bike was a 2 stroke Yamaha RXS 100. Great yoke. 50 mph going downhill with a tailwind. Kind of hard to kill yourself on - best way to learn. I was about 15 stone then - lost weight since - and regularly carried a pillion on it.

In a land of 957cc Fiestas and Mk3 Cortinas, grand. You were as fast as anything on the road.

Now that every young lad has a 2.0Tdi, a 125 is a mobile roadblock- they're lethal.

My young lad has a modern 125 and the sooner he's off it and on to a bigger bike, the better.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

So a Deauville it is . Permit gotten . Bike sorted and I know lessons should have come first but the bike popped up.
    Thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

SteveAdti wrote: »
    So a Deauville it is . Permit gotten . Bike sorted and I know lessons should have come first but the bike popped up.

Best of luck. Great bike for starting out on.

Join the user groups on Facebook. Fantastically helpful and informative groups.
    Here is a really useful page too:

http://robdavistelford.co.uk/webspace/deauville/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

SteveAdti wrote: »

Deauville's are great, super practical albeit not terribly fast but they do handle far better than their weight should allow them to.

Advertisement