Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing plant for planting box.

• 04-06-2020 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    I’m looking for a nice looking climbing plant with attractive flowers, that would climb up a trellis but be planted in a plant box that would sit on a patio.
    I’m looking to cover up a breeze block wall.
    If the climbing plant was perfumed that’d be great as the living room window and our patio table would be in this area.
    The garden is south facing.
    Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

tom1ie wrote: »
    Hi all
    I’m looking for a nice looking climbing plant with attractive flowers, that would climb up a trellis but be planted in a plant box that would sit on a patio.
    I’m looking to cover up a breeze block wall.
    If the climbing plant was perfumed that’d be great as the living room window and our patio table would be in this area.
    The garden is south facing.
    Thanks all.

Honeysuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You need a very hefty trellis to carry a honeysuckle.

What size is the box?

An evergreen clematis would be nice but they like their roots to be cool so a box on a south facing wall isn't going to work. In fact a box on a south facing wall is going to be difficult enough to keep damp and cool for any plant. A rose would also be good but again they tend to have large roots.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What about a jasmine? Or a star jasmine? Or a winter jasmine? (Yes, there's a pattern there).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Clematis, depending on the variety, you can get brilliant burst of flowers lasting a couple of days or over a few weeks.
    Some varieties grow at an incredible rate , you might be trimming it back regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Passionflower will give you summer and autumn interest with constant flowering and some inedible fruiting, can be a bit scraggly over winter. Has plenty of vigour and a nice distinct flower that will love a sunny sheltered spot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Passionflower will give you summer and autumn interest with constant flowering and some inedible fruiting, can be a bit scraggly over winter. Has plenty of vigour and a nice distinct flower that will love a sunny sheltered spot.

Some varieties are edible and delicious, too (others are poisonous, though).

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

New Home wrote: »
    Some varieties are edible and delicious, too (others are poisonous, though).

The common relatively hardy passionflower found here is Passiflora caerulea which is edible when properly ripe, if unripe can cause stomach upset. For this reason people tend to avoid eating as even when ripe there is no great flavour like the Passiflora edulis which grows in more sunny climes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Great ideas all thanks for the input.
    I haven’t bought the box yet, it will be like a windowsill planter trough only deeper, and longer, but maybe along the same width.

Just to explain further the back of the house is south facing, and the wall I would be putting this on is adjacent to the house on the east side. So the narrowest part of the box would be in direct south facing sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I have both clematis and honeysuckle in pots. Definitely need large deep planters for them. I’ve had them for a few years and their weight is okay on the frame so far and I haven’t needed to prune to heavily. Honeysuckle is beautifully scented but the only thing I noticed with them in pots is that they need almost daily watering to flower well. Jasmine has an amazing scent but I don’t know if it’s very hardy? I’ve tried it a few years but it doesn’t like our cold winters so maybe would need to be brought in before first frost. Then again I live in the NW so it’s horrible in winter here.

I have group 2 and 3 clematis in this blue pot. Group 2 just starting to flower. I didn’t prune them properly last year so not in great shape.

515411.jpeg

515412.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭standardg60

Honestly, forget about trying to cover a wall with a pot grown climber, either cut a hole in or remove a patio slab and grow it in the ground instead.

• Advertisement

I have both clematis and honeysuckle in pots. Definitely need large deep planters for them. I’ve had them for a few years and their weight is okay on the frame so far and I haven’t needed to prune to heavily. Honeysuckle is beautifully scented but the only thing I noticed with them in pots is that they need almost daily watering to flower well. Jasmine has an amazing scent but I don’t know if it’s very hardy? I’ve tried it a few years but it doesn’t like our cold winters so maybe would need to be brought in before first frost. Then again I live in the NW so it’s horrible in winter here.

I have group 2 and 3 clematis in this blue pot. Group 2 just starting to flower. I didn’t prune them properly last year so not in great shape.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=515411&stc=1&d=1591384912

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=515412&stc=1&d=1591384913

Have you sweetpeas as well in there with the honeysuckle? :)

Actually, that's an idea - perennial sweetpeas. Or climbing nasturtium, too.

Yeah, the bottom branches were very bare so I’ve tried everlasting sweet peas this year.

Another lovely annual for tom1ie would be ipomoea or Morning Glory, very colourful but I don’t think it’s scented.

Honestly, forget about trying to cover a wall with a pot grown climber, either cut a hole in or remove a patio slab and grow it in the ground instead.

That’s an idea that I’ve been mulling over in my head for my next venture, it might suit you Tom1.

My inspiration is this 515431.jpeg
    Courtesy of gardenia.net Rosa shropshire lad with clematis the president.

There’s an area of my garden behind a retainer wall with no soil, I’ve been toying with the idea of adding soil underneath, then planting these into it and putting a bottomless pot around them. The pot would serve two functions, decorative and also a tidy way to add fertilizer/ manure/ feed etc each growing season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That’s an idea that I’ve been mulling over in my head for my next venture, it might suit you Tom1.

My inspiration is this 515431.jpeg
    Courtesy of gardenia.net Rosa shropshire lad with clematis the president.

There’s an area of my garden behind a retainer wall with no soil, I’ve been toying with the idea of adding soil underneath, then planting these into it and putting a bottomless pot around them. The pot would serve two functions, decorative and also a tidy way to add fertilizer/ manure/ feed etc each growing season.

Wow that looks great.
    I’m gonna look into this but I definitely can’t remove a slab so it’ll have to be in a large rectangular pot.

Advertisement