Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi rubber o-rings....petrol resistant??

• 03-06-2020 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Just wondering if the rubber o rings from Lidl and aldi are petrol resistant?
    They be handy for carbs and fuel connections,or an emergency/temporary repair,if they were to that standard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I would sayyyyy.....nope:(
    Unless they say otherwise but considering the efforts in removing carbs I'd wanna stick in decent seals. Handy to have about the garage tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,378 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Having used two a year ago on a Volvo... And no issues since I'd go with they worked fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I bought these a year or two ago, I tested them first by immersing a few in petrol for an hour or so, they did not dissolve. I used them for some carburettor jobs, did not notice any problems. It's very hard to get an absolute guarantee from anybody on this petrol resistance, best to test as outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is petrol resistant and then there is resistance to whatever witches brew modern petrol is made from.
    I think Ethanol is the chief culprit but I would not be surprised if there are other additives that cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Got these in Lidl this morning. Says they are petrol resistant.
    Might be handy for an emergency repair or possibly a permanent fix to various machines and engines.

515201.jpg

• Advertisement

I have the exact same assortment in a yellow box bought yrs ago, used two a couple days ago for an oil feed banjo. They're grand but I'd not use them in a petrol application but I'm finnikey.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

Whilst the NBR rubber material is resistant to oil and fuel, the quality of the manufacturing in the brand is exceptionally bad and when stretched or pinched they are liable to simply break or tear leading to a leak again. I sell seals and various other products for a living and when my oring selection boxes are compared with the price of their I simply wait for a month and the customer always comes back for the better quality versions..... if you have a particular size you need we keep every possible size in orings from 1mm to 700mm .... google us hydraseals.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

dubal2008 wrote: »
    Whilst the NBR rubber material is resistant to oil and fuel, the quality of the manufacturing in the brand is exceptionally bad and when stretched or pinched they are liable to simply break or tear leading to a leak again. I sell seals and various other products for a living and when my oring selection boxes are compared with the price of their I simply wait for a month and the customer always comes back for the better quality versions..... if you have a particular size you need we keep every possible size in orings from 1mm to 700mm .... google us hydraseals.ie

The OEM KTM o-rings are very flimsy.
    The slightest bit of disturbance to them when disconnecting the fuel line coupler and they leak like a mofo.........they need replacing.

Thanks for your post and info too.
    Much appreciated.

The OEM KTM o-rings are very flimsy.
    The slightest bit of disturbance to them when disconnecting the fuel line coupler and they leak like a mofo.........they need replacing.

Thanks for your post and info too.
    Much appreciated.

There's a technique to those connectors Jap, press the two quick disconnect parts together before you disconnect them. Also put a tiny smear of red rubber grease or silicon on the seals.

The OEM KTM s are very flimsy.
    FTFY:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

dubal2008 wrote: »

I once needed a small quantity of O rings for a once off job, so I phoned a firm who supplied them, but their minimum order quantity was 1000 !! :eek:

You should have contacted us at Hydraseals.ie we often get smaller quantities for people but as you can imaging between carraige and value there has sometimes to be a minimum quantity.

@Dubal2008 do you have access to the SKF green fork seals?

we steer clear of anything but industrial sizes as all we kept getting was lads saying,,,I can get that cheaper on the net,,,so for all normal oil selas, hydraulic seals and orings we have amazing stocks but no fork seals at all

CJhaughey wrote: »
    @Dubal2008 do you have access to the SKF green fork seals?
    Tell us more....?

SKF have a range of fork seals designed specifically for bikes, they are super low stiction and are really the best thing for bike forks. I'm not sure they are available in all sizes but most popular sizes and some have variants with different thicknesses.
    They are out a while now but from all accounts make a huge difference to Fork performance.
    https://www.skf.com/group/products/automotive-seals/suspension-seals/fork-seals

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

SKF have a range of fork seals designed specifically for bikes, they are super low stiction and are really the best thing for bike forks. I'm not sure they are available in all sizes but most popular sizes and some have variants with different thicknesses.
    They are out a while now but from all accounts make a huge difference to Fork performance.

I wonder how they go with öhlins forks?
    Use of non öhlins seals can wear the nitride coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackbox

Got these in Lidl this morning. Says they are petrol resistant.
    Might be handy for an emergency repair or possibly a permanent fix to various machines and engines.

515201.jpg

They had them in a clear box a year or more ago and they weren't as good as the ones in the picture.

blade1 wrote: »
    I wonder how they go with öhlins forks?
    Use of non öhlins seals can wear the nitride coating.

If you are locked into the ohlins seals then you may have no choice?
    What colour are the ohlins ones?
    Lots of trials bikes use these seals on DLC coatings but I’m not sure how the ti nitride compares to DLC in terms of wear or hardness.

This is interesting, will do some reading. I see there is an option in these for a 41mm seal, must get the data sheet and see if od a lip thickness is a match to my yoke. Cheers CJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

H_Lime wrote: »
    I have the exact same assortment in a yellow box bought yrs ago, used two a couple days ago for an oil feed banjo. They're grand but I'd not use them in a petrol application but I'm finnikey.

That'd be the Workzone ones from Aldi, I picked up a set a couple of years ago and have used about five of them :) the other half got slightly freaked out yesterday when I got the box out to stick a new o-ring in the garden hose - the whole box was at most 8.99 so has paid for itself already. Although I can see the 45mm and similar sizes still being in that box when I pop my clogs :eek:

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

Advertisement