Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Messed up insurance situation.

Options
  • 16-05-2020 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Got a pain in my backside here. Any suggestions.

Mature driver, driving over 20 years no claims. Due to company car, NCB in my name of only 2 years but named driver discount of 10 years +

Renewal NCB cert with Zurich via broker shows this and 55% discount as recognised experience. Renewal is 580 euro. Grand, happy days, due early June

However, daughter turned 17 so she needs to learn. Cannot get permit yet due to lockdown. Car is a little corsa, second car in house, in my name.

So I rang broker and rough idea of quote with her added is 4 grand. But cannot do it till she gets a permit.

Boxymo realistic at 1500 for me with12000 kilometres, her added, but cannot do it till she gets the permit and installs a box. (permit not possible until offices reopen) They wont quote me alone as Im not a new driver so catch 22. Wont quote me and her as she has no permit -yet.

Rang Briton insurances, Chill, AIG, AXA, 123 and more, any quotes are 3, 4 5 grand.

I need to renew my insurance by June 7, but I cannot see a permit coming before then. I need someone reasonable to recognise this as a messy situation and sort it out. She will not be out learning till she gets a permit endof. but insurance needs renewing soon.

Any ideas folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Absolutely nothing can be done until she gets a permit. You are essentially expecting an insurer to insure someone that has not proven they have the minimum legally required competency ie a learner permit. Insurers get guff from alot of sections for being unreasonable but in this instance they are 100% correct.

All you can do is renew your existing policy and when she gets her permit cancel the policy and arrange cover with a suitable insurer that will cover both of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Never thought of insuring and then cancelling.
    It would be useful though if they issued a policy anyway. They all say insured if you have a licence...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Try the Aviva Driving School. If you take out a policy with them then once your daughter has her learners permit then she can get her lessons and 6 months insurance for I think €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Got a pain in my backside here. Any suggestions.

Mature driver, driving over 20 years no claims. Due to company car, NCB in my name of only 2 years but named driver discount of 10 years +

Renewal NCB cert with Zurich via broker shows this and 55% discount as recognised experience. Renewal is 580 euro. Grand, happy days, due early June

However, daughter turned 17 so she needs to learn. Cannot get permit yet due to lockdown. Car is a little corsa, second car in house, in my name.

So I rang broker and rough idea of quote with her added is 4 grand. But cannot do it till she gets a permit.

Boxymo realistic at 1500 for me with12000 kilometres, her added, but cannot do it till she gets the permit and installs a box. (permit not possible until offices reopen) They wont quote me alone as Im not a new driver so catch 22. Wont quote me and her as she has no permit -yet.

Rang Briton insurances, Chill, AIG, AXA, 123 and more, any quotes are 3, 4 5 grand.

I need to renew my insurance by June 7, but I cannot see a permit coming before then. I need someone reasonable to recognise this as a messy situation and sort it out. She will not be out learning till she gets a permit endof. but insurance needs renewing soon.

Any ideas folks?

As one biker to another (assuming!), I've been through this in the recent past, with my (then) 17 yr old daughter.

First, imho, the only choice is you change to Aviva. No-one else wants a 17yr old on their books, period. Don't even waste the cost of phonecalls, as the numbers you get are basically fob-off numbers - as you (& I) have found out.

Once you've insured your (Corsa) in your name, Aviva will sell you a package of lessons for EDT and bundle it with 6 mths cover on your car, for €499 (Level 1 'Achieve').

If necessary, this can be renewed for another 3 mths (Level 2 - 'Educate' for €299).

Assuming she passes her test then you can opt for (Level 3 - 'Decision') package at €225 which covers her as N-driver for 6 months on your car.

Once past all that, Aviva would quote her on her own policy. You don't HAVE to do all 3 levels - mine did 1 & 2 only - but Aviva wouldn't quote her a policy of her own without doing Level 3, and she got an acceptable quote from Liberty for her own policy at that point, and got her own car.

Full details here: https://www.aviva.ie/lessons/driving-school/

But you'll be doing none of the above without a Learner Permit and there is literally no idea of when they'll be issued. (which I don't understand btw, it's an office/admin process)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Wow. That is fantastic info. You cannot find that easily online.
    I will look into that straight away.
    Thanks very much

• Advertisement
Advertisement