Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

March 7: Jono v Quigg 130 lbs Sky Sports Arena 19:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Who is his coach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Who is his coach?

Albert, some Spanish dude from MTK marbella gym

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Quigg always talk like this? Little slurry there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Quigg always talk like this? Little slurry there I think.

Always like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Albert, some Spanish dude from MTK marbella gym

did he fight sergio martinez ?

• Advertisement

them security guards are in same shape as me

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jono boxed lovely, but Quigg was so poor right from bell 1, that it’s difficult to properly assess Jono...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

In fairness to Gallagher he did warn him at the end of Rd9 and he did show a bit more in Rd10 off the back of that. He was never going to win the fight from there though so I understand the sentiment. I also think the Sky team went a little OTT regarding the corner.

Take nothing away from Carroll though, that was a pretty flawless display. He'd be some fighter with a little more power in the locker.

i hope he doesnt try too much to add power to his game. ....seen it before, speed goes when they concentrate on adding power in training...and his speed is one of his main assests.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Jono has some engine, quigg looked very poor....happy for jono though, fearher fisted but a handful with relentless pressure, hope he does well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DaithiMa

pac_man wrote: »
    I think sky are going over the top with Quigg. He's getting outboxed but not getting a hiding. I wouldn't be pulling him out.

Agree with this 100% He was rarely badly hurt and Sky were exaggerating. Quigg hit Jono with a couple of counters that they never even mentioned too (even if Jono took them well).

Quigg's corner were right to throw in the towel when they did though. His only chance of a win was by KO and it wasn't happening. Carroll has improved massively since I last watched him (the Farmer loss), especially his head movement. If he can add some bite to his power punches he'll be dangerous against anyone. Should take a trip to SugarHill...

The Sky commentary were a joke. They were calling for Quigg to be pulled out after a few bloody rds. Jono was boxing circles around Quigg, but they were very weak punches. Quigg looked fresh and clear headed all the way..

Even the end, Jono made a meal of trying land anything of substance before the towel..

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GG21057

No mention at all in Irish mainstream media. Wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

GG21057 wrote: »
    No mention at all in Irish mainstream media. Wonder why?

Rte have an article up?

How much more Irish mainstream can it get?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2020/0307/1120878-dominant-carroll-stops-quigg-in-the-11th/

”Wondering if anyone else commented on or noticed just how poor Quigg's feet and balance are when attacking? He's like a complete novice with very little coordination on the offensive front foot.”

Above is a post from me after Quigg’s loss to Frampton...

Last night it was clearly worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Very much reminded me of Loma vs Crolla, Jono put on a masterclass last night. Quigg is quite clearly past it, every jab seemed to get through to him.

walshb wrote: »
    ”Wondering if anyone else commented on or noticed just how poor Quigg's feet and balance are when attacking? He's like a complete novice with very little coordination on the offensive front foot.”

Above is a post from me after Quigg’s loss to Frampton...

Last night it was clearly worse...

He would have beaten Carl is it went another few rounds imo if I remember correctly.
    Definitely finished the stronger of the two.

blade1 wrote: »
    He would have beaten Carl is it went another few rounds imo if I remember correctly.
    Definitely finished the stronger of the two.

Barely finished the stronger, and actually, I think Carl nicked the last around..

Barely finished the stronger, and actually, I think Carl nicked the last around..

Carl did win the last round and did win the fight.
    I think I had him a round or two up at the end.,
    Just think Quigg left it too late to close the points gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Butson

Good win from Carroll, great footwork

No need for his antics pre fight etc, a bit cringe really

• Advertisement

Very much reminded me of Loma vs Crolla, Jono put on a masterclass last night. Quigg is quite clearly past it, every jab seemed to get through to him.

I actually think Crolla looked better than Quigg, albeit Crolla looking dreadful...

He looked more like a balanced boxer, even if that's all he looked.

Jono himself must have been shocked at how poor Quigg was..

Carl did win the last round and did win the fight.
    I think I had him a round or two up at the end.,
    Just think Quigg left it too late to close the points gap.

Yes, if I recall, Quigg did next to nothing for the firs 6 rds, and Carl won them as much on volume as anything else.

Carl Frampton and Jono should now go toe to toe..

Carl would present a far stiffer test than Quigg..I guess anyone would...

I know Carl is thinking of bigger fights, but I'd like to see it.

Carl Frampton and Jono should now go toe to toe..

Carl would present a far stiffer test than Quigg..I guess anyone would...

I know Carl is thinking of bigger fights, but I'd like to see it.

Different promoters so probably wont get made,

Frampton is trying to get the Jermell Herring fight over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Freddie Roach destroyed Quigg. He took more punches in a couple of hard fights under Roach that he did in 20 with Gallagher. It was a disastrous decision by Quigg to relocate to the Wild Card.

Surprised that wasn't mentioned above. Quigg must have been in some hard gym wars under Roach too. He certainly led with his face in the fights I saw while under Roach.

Roach is massively overrated. He gets huge credit because of Manny but arguably any trainer would look good in Manny's corner.

Carl won them as much on volume as anything else.

Did Carl break Quigg's jaw in that fight or am I getting mixed up?

Yep

I think he did, yes. But that could be from just one decent shot!:P

In fairness to Quigg he would have kept going the other night until he would have been stretchered out of the place.
    Good to see him have a well measured view of what had just happened and didn't make any excuses.
    I think his time is up and he seemed to know it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Sky commentary were a joke. They were calling for Quigg to be pulled out after a few bloody rds. Jono was boxing circles around Quigg, but they were very weak punches. Quigg looked fresh and clear headed all the way..

Even the end, Jono made a meal of trying land anything of substance before the towel..

Most of that talked stemmed from Matthew Macklin , Jono is an MTK fighter so not surprising at all ,

Quigg was absolutely terrible, I never liked him but I actually felt sorry for him impossible to judge Jono

Advertisement