Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irritating words or phrases

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

"Do the housework"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

You start a gripping opening paragraph and then.....

"Want to read more?"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Homemaker.

This dreadful Americanism is creeping in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Homemaker.

This dreadful Americanism is creeping in here.
    A builder in other words :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Another example of unnecessary corporate speak is the term "results-driven".

You're motivated by the prospect of getting a good result? WOW, what a unique characteristic to have! Why didnt I think of that? You're hired!

• Advertisement

Heard someone say "differently abled" in front of a disabled person today. One of the stupidest things I've ever seen in my life.

I'm sure they thought they were being nice but in reality, they were saying "I want to be nice and avoid your accepted term because I don't think your accepted term is a nice thing."

Good luck calling a black person differently coloured because you're "being nice".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Discourse.
    Seems to be a word used now largely by those in the media in an effort to try give an air of gravitas to whatever they are talking/debating/waffling about.
    Completely pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

virtue signaling, it's irritating because its often a last refuge when talking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

terrydel wrote: »
    Discourse.

Usually the same ones who go on about
    • the story we tell ourselves about...
    • weaving narratives
    • we need to have that conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

The use of “yes ma’am” by Americans or just ma’am in general if you’re not french. I’m on some Facebook groups for my job and when I see this it irrationally annoys me and makes me hate the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Whenever anyone uses snog for kiss. I always hated it or shag, I just think Austin Powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

terrydel wrote: »
    Discourse.
    Seems to be a word used now largely by those in the media in an effort to try give an air of gravitas to whatever they are talking/debating/waffling about.
    Completely pretentious.

Not in talking of things linguistic and it is a word that accurately describes what you are doing!:D

Advertisement