Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm not feeling the new FKA Twigs. Think the songs are pretty ordinary underneath all the - admittedly quite interesting - studio jiggery pokerey. Cellophane is a good song and maybe Home With You as well but there isn't too much else blowing my mind on it.

fallen alien is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

New Jape is getting good reviews, lot's of 'his best album so far' comments. Also the Careerist album 'Weird Hill' got plenty of listens since release last week, a snappy 30 min album with nods to Pavement...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

New Lankum is my AOTY so far I think. Vital modern Irish music.

Careerist's (fka Hot Cops) debut album is indeed great. Underrated Irish band from da nort.

Never listened to Jape back in the day but will definitely check out the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭mosstin

Not exactly music released in the last 30 days but the new Grimes album (Feb 2020, I think) is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'll hold on until the official release, but glad to hear something is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

New Lankum is my AOTY so far I think. Vital modern Irish music.

Careerist's (fka Hot Cops) debut album is indeed great. Underrated Irish band from da nort.

Never listened to Jape back in the day but will definitely check out the new one.

Why the name change I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭mosstin

Bob Stanley/Saint Etienne compilation called 'The Daisy Age' which includes rap and hip hop from the 90s is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭fluke

The latest Jimmy Eat World album is pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

New David Keenan album out today. Bit of a buzz around it. Liking what I've heard so far. The Healing and Evidence of Living in particular are brilliant songs. Proving once again that Dundalk is home to some of the most talented people on planet earth.:cool:

Poppy has a new album out, I Disagree. I know it's hard to know what's real and what's fake with the whole Poppy thing and I can understand how people can hate everything to do with it/her/them? There's a lot I don't like myself - but I've always found one or two songs on previous albums that were genuinely great, so I'm prepared to put up with the stuff that doesn't work in order to get to interesting stuff.

This album is really nu-metally and a lot if can seem real insincere and just someone playing around, but when it works that mix of ultra aggressive guitars, abrasiveness and sugary pop feels damn good - and the songs have numerous little details and layers that make me want to listen again. At her best she sounds like a metallier Grimes - at her worst she sounds dumb and cheesy.

I kinda hate the first half of this song, the "edgy" vocals don't do it for me, but about a minute and a half in it starts to get messy in an interesting way, with little bits of noise between each blast of the music and the guitar solo that follows has this weird doubled up effect going on with some extra bass that I absolutely love.

This song I like from start to finish:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Pighead wrote: »
    New David Keenan album out today. Bit of a buzz around it. Liking what I've heard so far. The Healing and Evidence of Living in particular are brilliant songs. Proving once again that Dundalk is home to some of the most talented people on planet earth.:cool:
    He's actually from Knockbridge. But close enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Jesus I think it's awful muck. Could only get through 4 songs before the pain became too much.

Jesus I think it's awful muck. Could only get through 4 songs before the pain became too much.

Thats 3.75 more than I heard,think he is aiming for the dermot kennedy type demographic.

Kiwi Jr. are a band. They have an album Football Money. On the first listen they sound like Pavement, meets The Strokes meets bits of The Velvet Underground. Nothing groundbreaking here, but the songs are nice and they have a bit more personality once you get to know them.

Kiwi Jr. are a band. They have an album Football Money. On the first listen they sound like Pavement, meets The Strokes meets bits of The Velvet Underground. Nothing groundbreaking here, but the songs are nice and they have a bit more personality once you get to know them.

You had me at Pavement

sweetie wrote: »
    You had me at Pavement

The singer sounds a lot like Stephen Malkmus. To be honest if I want to listen to bands that sound like Pavement, I'll just listen to Pavement - but they aren't the total knock offs I thought they were at first.

The singer sounds a lot like Stephen Malkmus. To be honest if I want to listen to bands that sound like Pavement, I'll just listen to Pavement - but they aren't the total knock offs I thought they were at first.

They could tour as pavement and no one would suspect a thing.

Thats 3.75 more than I heard,think he is aiming for the dermot kennedy type demographic.
    Possibly the most uninformed comment ever to be posted in this hallowed forum. Keenan has more depth in his little finger than Kennedy has in his whole being. The only thing those guys have in common are their initials.

No issues with you not liking the music but if you're gonna throw out unflattering comparisons at least listen to more than 0.25 songs before you do so. I actually got sick a little bit in my mouth when I read your post. Not cool.

Possibly the most uninformed comment ever to be posted in this hallowed forum. Keenan has more depth in his little finger than Kennedy has in his whole being. The only thing those guys have in common are their initials.

No issues with you not liking the music but if you're gonna throw out unflattering comparisons at least listen to more than 0.25 songs before you do so. I actually got sick a little bit in my mouth when I read your post. Not cool.

How exactly is he alternative or indie in the first place?
    He sounds very much like Dermot on this track I randomly chose to listen to
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C52QIqtxJCU

It not 'bad music' prob get so plays on radio but too generic and boring for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etcxZZsFv98

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

He's not terrible, nor is he that amazing IMO. I can like bits of his songs, but it comes across as a man trying too hard.

I had genuinely never listened to Dermot Kennedy before I saw the two of them being compared here. Dermot Kennedy is way, way more garbage pop. He's genuinely painful to listen to. I wouldn't compare the two really.

• Advertisement

How exactly is he alternative or indie in the first place?
    He sounds very much like Dermot on this track I randomly chose to listen to
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C52QIqtxJCU

It not 'bad music' prob get so plays on radio but too generic and boring for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etcxZZsFv98

zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    The album from Keenan is far from perfect. Few too many tuneless songs on it for my taste but when he gets it right (The Healing, Evidence of living, Subliminal Dublinia, Unholy Ghosts) it's clear to see the guy is a talent. Dermot Kennedy is in the same bracket to me as The Script, Picture This etc.

How on earth anybody can listen to this and call it generic is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

In my personal opinion they are both good in their own ways. Considerably different, though.

Neither are Alternative or Indie really so can we get back to it....

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead's new album X: The Godless Void and Other Stories is great. Worth a listen if you want to listen to something that isn't David Keenan/Kennedy today :D

sweetie wrote: »
    Neither are Alternative or Indie really so can we get back to it....
    Not how it works. Unfortunately you are not a member of the alternative and indie police so you don't get to say what we can or cannot talk about. I will continue to champion Mr Keenan in this wonderful forum for as long as he continues to release great tunes.:cool:

Speaking of which....

Well, after that, I can safely say the more I hear of David Keenan the more I dislike him.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Algiers - There is no year (damn this band are so underrated)

https://youtu.be/bwKTIQuH5ug

Throwaway comment was not expecting such a vitriolic comeback.. and it was Napeolan who kicked this off with his Keenan hating buzz:mad:
    Anyway this album isn't out just yet but they are from Belgium and its not deus.

UrbanSprawl i love you but you're breaking my heart. I was just trying to occupy the forum with original ideas. Our war is nearly over now. Are you ready for the healing?

• Advertisement

UrbanSprawl i love you but you're breaking my heart. I was just trying to occupy the forum with original ideas. Our war is nearly over now. Are you ready for the healing?

Indeed bring it on ..attacking the post not the poster.

Advertisement