Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Also, Angel Olson’s new album is out. Produced by John Congleton who also did Sharon Van Etten’s Remind me Tomorrow. Sounds good on first listen.

Birneybau wrote: »
    New DIIV album out today, 'Deceiver'. One of my favourite bands, gone for a heavier sound this time around.

And brand new Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds album, 'Ghosteen'. Very synthy and mellow from first listen.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/04/nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-ghosteen-review-the-most-beautiful-songs-he-has-ever-recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

And brand new Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds album, 'Ghosteen'. Very synthy and mellow from first listen.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/04/nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-ghosteen-review-the-most-beautiful-songs-he-has-ever-recorded

got bored with the Nick Cave album after about 5 tracks and I'm now listening to Abattoir Blues instead. Wasn't mad on his last couple of records either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

loyatemu wrote: »

got bored with the Nick Cave album after about 5 tracks and I'm now listening to Abattoir Blues instead. Wasn't mad on his last couple of records either.

I do prefer the rockier stuff myself, "Dig!!!Lazarus!!!Dig!!!"would be up there with "Abbatoir Blues" for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The new Angel Olsen seems like a return to form, she lost me a bit with My Woman, even though critics raved about it, it wasn't as strong for me as Burn Your Fire..., which was an unbelievable record, every song was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

New Wilco is pretty understated after a couple of listens but I think it's a grower

• Advertisement

Okay, I think the new Angel Olsen might be awesome. It certainly gets better the more I listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭divide_by_zero

The new Boris record Love & Evol is excellent, definitely worth a listen.

I thought it felt a bit unsubstantial myself at first - all that floating ambiance can feel weightless - but I think it's a grower. The two longer songs on the second half of the album are outstanding. If you're in the right frame of mind they sound overwhelming.

I wouldn't entirely believe all the hype about it being this new version of him as a happy and welcoming New Agey guy. Most of these songs sound deliberately heavenly at first, but they have teeth - it's a deceptively dark record.

The final song, Hollywood, is something else - so ominous and brooding, maybe the only one here that's unambiguously grim sounding. I was listening to earlier today, going about my business, and there's a line in the song where he sings -

" The kid drops his bucket and spade
    And climbs into the sun" -

and then the song immediately changes in feel and the weird bassline becomes even more prominent and utterly fcked sounding and I thought of the death of his son, which is there through everything on the record, and...just... powerful piece of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Big Thief really have rose to the upper echelon of the alt rock community in a reasonably short space of time.

Looks like they could have two albums featured very high up in the upcoming AOTY polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭mosstin

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Big Thief really have rose to the upper echelon of the alt rock community in a reasonably short space of time.

Looks like they could have two albums featured very high up in the upcoming AOTY polls.

'UFOF' is the best album I've heard in about 3 years. Listening to the new one now expectantly.

• Advertisement

Kim Gordon's new album No Home Record is excellent and is a hell of a lot shorter than Thurston Moore's lastest release Spirit Counsel (which if you have a spare two and a half hours is a great listen).

Bats new one Alter nature is also worth a listen.

mosstin wrote: »
    'UFOF' is the best album I've heard in about 3 years. Listening to the new one now expectantly.

new Big Thief is unsurprisingly excellent. They're definitely one of the best bands around currently, 4 great albums in 4 years, & Lencker's solo stuff is also really good.

New Tandem Felix Rom-com album is really good, like Wilco jamming with Teenage Fanclub.
    Also the late David Turpin Romances is also very good, 10 guest singers including Conor O Brien, Elephant and Martin McCann (Sack) over disco-pop, synthy type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Kim Gordon's new album No Home Record is excellent and is a hell of a lot shorter than Thurston Moore's lastest release Spirit Counsel (which if you have a spare two and a half hours is a great listen).

Bats new one Alter nature is also worth a listen.

I hope its better than the muck that she was coming out with at the "gig" in Royal Hospital Kilmainham couple of months ago. That was some drivel. I like Sonic Youth and went along expecting something of a resemblance. No chance.

I hope its better than the muck that she was coming out with at the "gig" in Royal Hospital Kilmainham couple of months ago. That was some drivel. I like Sonic Youth and went along expecting something of a resemblance. No chance.

Much better than that sh*te. That stuff she does with Body/Head is awful self indulgent ****. Couldn't listen to it went to see Kerbdog instead that night.

Arghus wrote: »
    The new Girl Band album, The Talkies, was released yesterday. It's good to have them back, a cut above most Irish bands.

this is really growing on me, it's so relentlessly tense.

Mention of Angel Olsen a few posts up - her track on the Mark Ronson album is fantastic (though naggingly similar to something I can't put my finger on...):

New Swans album out today, Leaving Meaning, bound to be a very uplifting experience.

Lankum's new album, The Livelong Day, is also out today. Saw them last weekend and they were predictably fantastic. The outro to their version of The Wild Rover makes me think of traditional meets Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Amazing album from tr/st no wonder all their shows are booked out all across Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4ZnIl3Zf8

I'm enjoying the Michael Kiwankua album.

I've only listened to it a few times but that Michael Kiwanuka album seems good to me. No bad songs so far as I can tell and the interludes are pretty interesting. Maybe the Dangermouse production style is a bit familiar at times - if I was being nit-picky - but it certainly seems to be a strong album.

• Advertisement

New FKA twigs out tomorrow. Reviews are excellent and I really enjoyed her first one so expecting a lot

sweetie wrote: »
    New FKA twigs out tomorrow. Reviews are excellent and I really enjoyed her first one so expecting a lot

It's pretty decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's pretty decent!
    Agreed, short but no drop in standard from everything she's done before.

Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure, but for those who like that sort of thing the new SUNN O))) album, Pyroclasts, is pretty good. I actually think some of it - maybe the first two songs - are semi-accessible for this type of music. They're properly suffocating and enveloping, but they have a grandeur to them that doesn't make them impenetrable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

I'm enjoying the Michael Kiwankua album.

Really enjoying this one

also liking the Kiwanuka album, agree about the Dangermouse production making it sound quite familiar, also reminds me a bit of Jungle's first album.

I'm not feeling the new FKA Twigs. Think the songs are pretty ordinary underneath all the - admittedly quite interesting - studio jiggery pokerey. Cellophane is a good song and maybe Home With You as well but there isn't too much else blowing my mind on it.

New Tindersticks album out. They've been around for so long now. This one sounds slight but promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

also liking the Kiwanuka album, agree about the Dangermouse production making it sound quite familiar, also reminds me a bit of Jungle's first album.

Reminds me of last year’s Lux Prima album, which Dangermouse produced. Also, I can’t listen to the track ‘Final Days’ without thinking of Gnarls Barkley’s ‘Crazy’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Welsh duo Right hand left hand 'Zone Rouge' is out today and its a fascinating post rock masterpiece.

https://righthandlefthand.bandcamp.com/

Advertisement