Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrade Windows 7 to 10 for free (still works)

• 22-12-2019 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up that support for Windows 7 ends next month so if you have an activated copy then you can still get the Windows 10 upgrade for free (the offer which was supposedly ended a year or so back).

I upgraded my folks computer yesterday following this guide

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/

Save you a hundred euro or so :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Have win 7 on laptop and PC (at home) will never change, hate win 10 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

What security precautions are you taking from january?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I actually like it, hated 8.

Some shortcuts you do need to relearn where they are, like Recent documents, but they added a new Timeline feature which I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I tried this recently and couldn't get it to work for some reason... I'll have a go again tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I wish it was possible to just "move" the serial key to Windows 10, for later use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Never change a technology product ? OK Grandpa Simpson.
    Windows 10 is grand once you get used to it, also you can change it's layout and feel to be similar to 7.

Don't fear progress and change, lest you be left behind (which you will)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭jj880

Use classic shell if you want to make windows 10 look like windows 7

http://www.classicshell.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Never change a technology product ? OK Grandpa Simpson.
    Windows 10 is grand once you get used to it, also you can change it's layout and feel to be similar to 7.

Don't fear progress and change, lest you be left behind (which you will)

I work in IT and use win 10 all the time, I just prefer 7 on my personal gadgets :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

had no end of problems with windows 10, hate it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Windows 7 is one of Microsoft best operating systems, 10 is better than Vista and 8 sure but thats not saying much as they were rubbish.

The real Bargain would be to go back to windows 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    Windows 7 is one of Microsoft best operating systems, 10 is better than Vista and 8 sure but thats not saying much as they were rubbish.

Windows 7 will be end of life in mid January, time to move on folks. Unless you are happy with a unsupported operating system that will most certainly come under sustained attack from hackers next year

Alpha_zero wrote: »

It will be a real bargain for hackers for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭chonix

What security precautions are you taking from january?

Tinfoil hat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

jj880 wrote: »
    Use classic shell if you want to make windows 10 look like windows 7

http://www.classicshell.net/

Ceased development in Dec 2017...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

anything for upgrade from 8 to 10?

have 8. not good. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

8 was garbage

10 is a perfectly functional OS

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭chonix

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

daheff wrote: »
    anything for upgrade from 8 to 10?

have 8. not good. :mad:

yep the upgrade works for Windows 8 too

Windows 10 is much better than 8 which I detested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

chonix wrote: »
    Tinfoil hat :D

CyberFoil TinVPN

50c for a lifetime sub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Just a side note, in case not everybody knows.
    If you have Windows 10 Home version on your pc and you would like Windows 10 Pro, it's about $99 to upgrade.
    If you have an old Win7 pro or Win 8 pro key lying about, just click settings, activation and change product key, then enter your old Win 7/8 pro key and Windows 10 Home will update itself to Windows 10 Pro version for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've used this one for years. A lot neater than classic shell and gets regular updates. You can have the Windows 7 menu, 10, or a hybrid version.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

Worth the few quid for a license imo, but it comes with a trial period to test it out and is transferable between devices as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

Thanks OP.
    Just successfully upgraded an old win8 laptop today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks OP worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I wish to change pc harddrive to an SSD, if I upgrade to Windows 10 on the existing hd, then install win 10 on new SSD drive, will the licence transfer? Or what's the best route to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I wish to change pc harddrive to an SSD, if I upgrade to Windows 10 on the existing hd, then install win 10 on new SSD drive, will the licence transfer? Or what's the best route to go?

Just clone the drive to SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Just clone the drive to SSD.

Installing Win 10 on SSD is better option.

Reason behind is that Windows can trim data on drive and when installing it will put data different way that on HDD. Just cloning will work but as not efficient as fresh installation on SSD.
    When you update to Win10 on HDD then a digital fingerprint of your system will be recorded by Microsoft and it allow you to install Win10 again on SSD without serial key.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Reason behind is that Windows can trim data on drive and when installing it will put data different way that on HDD. Just cloning will work but as not efficient as fresh installation on SSD.
    When you update to Win10 on HDD then a digital fingerprint of your system will be recorded by Microsoft and it allow you to install Win10 again on SSD without serial key.

Tom

Thanks, was guessing that but wanted to check before going ahead.

Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

bring back windows 95
    ok that might be pushing the boat out
    i'll settle for XP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Tom

It has been a while but I remember running through a process that reconfigured the data for SSD use as the final step. If you have lot of applications installed and set up this is probably the easiest and quickest method and will have you up and running in minutes, if not, fresh install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I tried this on Monday and it worked fine (Home Premium version). However, I did lose nearly 10Gb of disk space after the installation. Not sure why. I expected Win10 to be more lighweight that Win7.

Advertisement