Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

On motortax.ie it asks for your insurance company, policy number and expiry date before letting you go to the payment page. As joefuss1986 suggested, I just put some random details in and it worked! Obviously some bright spark thought adding an extra step to make it harder to pay your taxes was a good idea.

Just need to find someone to insure me now. At least my log book should arrive in the post now.

have you had the car parked up this whole time because the log book didn't arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 danielsuntaro

have you had the car parked up this whole time because the log book didn't arrive?

Yep. Also no insurance so can’t drive it until that’s sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Fwiw, the annual ring-around:

53, full licence,
    Full Aviva NCB, spouse with Aviva on her car, and full NCB with them too.
    AIM Advanced Driving
    RoSPA Advanced - Gold
    No points on licence - ever
    2400 miles a year

Won't quote.

Reason ? Car age: it's an 06 Clio 1.2

www.123.ie wont' quote either, same reason.

FBD won't quote either

Any suggestions

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Surprised no quote on a 06 ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was going to come on and say FBD, as that's who I am with. No hassle with my 03 so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

galwaytt wrote: »

53, full licence,
    AIM Advanced Driving
    RoSPA Advanced - Gold
    2400 miles a year

Won't quote.

FBD won't quote either

Any suggestions

Must be an underwriter rule with it 15 years??
    Don't feel an 06 should be hard to insure on age but time is passing I suppose...

Try brokers rather than the companies direct, sometimes they have more luck than going direct as they give a volume of business rather than an individual. (More revenue)

Scanlon Insurances Limited
    itsforwomen (Men too)
    Campion Insurances Ltd

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

53, full licence,
    AIM Advanced Driving
    RoSPA Advanced - Gold
    2400 miles a year

Won't quote.

FBD won't quote either

Any suggestions

AXA about the only insurance company now that will quote for "older" vehicles, expect a higher quotation.

Absolute f*cking scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

Also Chill insurance.

They were fine on my 98 BMW until this year when it went beyond what I was willing to pay so bought a new daily and put the old car onto classic with carol nash

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 on trying Chill. They seem to have a dept/broker on board for older cars and they've been fine on my 98 Jap import, though raised the premium this year. Not by much, pretty much exactly by the same amount as the insurance "refund" earlier last year. I had the feeling that would only be resting in my account... :D From what I gathered older driver, no points or claims and owning the car for a while seem to be factors.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 on trying Chill. They seem to have a dept/broker on board for older cars and they've been fine on my 98 Jap import, though raised the premium this year. Not by much, pretty much exactly by the same amount as the insurance "refund" earlier last year. I had the feeling that would only be resting in my account... :D From what I gathered older driver, no points or claims and owning the car for a while seem to be factors.

im with BOI for my 98 Astra, coincidence same us you gone up the same amount as the the insurance refund earlier in year , must want it back with older cars:)

• Advertisement

Triumph GT6 1976
    Daily driver
    Licence for 20 years.
    10 years of no claims.
    No points.

I thought sod it, I'll just export it back to the UK, keep my insurance on it there, a long as Brexit doesn't screw everything up, EU law states that I'll have unlimited third party in Ireland, which is good enough for me. The problem here is I don't get my Irish log book until I tax the car, and I can't tax the car without insurance, and I can't get insurance!!! But I really don't want to have to export it back, I'd much rather find insurance here in Ireland.

Any suggestions welcome.

Sirry for your trouble, but just a couple of things:

Brexit does screw things up.
    But even before it did, your UK insurance is based on UK domicile- which you don't have.
    And unless it specifically says otherwise, the cover is usually restricted to 30-day periods outside the UK, per trip. I have a relation from Caerphilly who fell foul of that a number of years ago, here in Galway.....a very expensive lesson ensued.
    Finally, your licence. If you live here, you have to surrender your UK one. At which point you as an Irish driver are precluded from driving a non-Irish registered car anyway....

Yes, the whole system is complete sh1t.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Wibbs wrote: »

Just did: quoted me €593.....

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I have a 2003 VW Passat. I am not driving it at the moment so I suspended the insurance.
    I have a crap camper that I am driving around with.

I am wondering am I storing up trouble for myself by suspending my car insurance as 1) Camper insurance states I must have car insurance.
    2) If I do not renew my car insurance and just drive on using my old camper, will I have a no claims bonus issue.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Car: 2006 Volvo S40 1.6 petrol
    Licence :full
    NCB : 7 years named driver experience.
    €532 with liberty
    Liberty seem to be the only ones to either insure me at all or at reasonable price.
    Very happy with that price. First time having my own car policy, only been a named driver with my partner and my own motorbike policy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

6541 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I have a 2003 VW Passat. I am not driving it at the moment so I suspended the insurance.
    I have a crap camper that I am driving around with.

I am wondering am I storing up trouble for myself by suspending my car insurance as 1) Camper insurance states I must have car insurance.
    2) If I do not renew my car insurance and just drive on using my old camper, will I have a no claims bonus issue.

Thanks,

Yes, by the sounds of it you are technically uninsured in camper now as you have broken policy rules.
    You should ask insurer how long you can suspend policy before no claims bonus is valid. When you say suspend can you restart policy with a phone call? Its very important you are covered in the event of a claim

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LARGElittle

I'm looking for quotes on
    2004 Volvo S60 T SE
    Male
    6+ years named NCB
    My own motorcycle NCB does not count for anything.

It's my fathers car, he is insured with 123 for €550 and I'm buying it off him.

Best quote: Axa via Campion €1270!
    2nd: Patrona via Chill €1358
    3rd: Axa direct €1450

The following would not quote online
    AA Phone or online
    FBD
    Liberty
    Its4Women
    BOI
    AIG
    QuoteDevil phone or online
    CompareInsurance
    Allianz

I might ask pops if he can get a quote with me named and see how we go... crazy they take the year of the car but not the history of the individual vehicle.

Seems some have had luck with Liberty and 123, I will give them a call as they were unable to quote online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

2004 Volvo S60 T SE
    Male
    6+ years named NCB

AA Phone or online
    FBD
    Liberty
    Its4Women
    BOI
    AIG
    CompareInsurance
    Allianz

I might ask pops if he can get a quote with me named and see how we go... crazy they take the year of the car but not the history of the individual vehicle.

Seems some have had luck with Liberty and 123, I will give them a call as they were unable to quote online.

It’s because of the scammers who were buying old cars, staging accidents and claiming a fortune. Your Dad will be able to insure the car cheaper as he’s owned it for a while. But, the price for older car insurance has become crazy the past few years, it now costs more than the cars are worth in a lot of cases.

screamer wrote: »
    It’s because of the scammers who were buying old cars, staging accidents and claiming a fortune. Your Dad will be able to insure the car cheaper as he’s owned it for a while. But, the price for older car insurance has become crazy the past few years, it now costs more than the cars are worth in a lot of cases.

Makes sense alright but such a shame, makes it hard for a lot of people.

If I was to insure in my own name it'd be much better, hopefully it'll reduce then next year, not holding out any hope for that of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Makes sense alright but such a shame, makes it hard for a lot of people.

If I was to insure in my own name it'd be much better, hopefully it'll reduce then next year, not holding out any hope for that of course!

That's very good quotes for first time in your own name.
    I paid 1700 for my own first insurance & had a few years as a named driver.

Once you start it will get lower over the years as you build your full own NCD.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

2004 Volvo S60 T SE
    Male
    6+ years named NCB

AA Phone or online
    FBD
    Liberty
    Its4Women
    BOI
    AIG
    CompareInsurance
    Allianz

Can you/have you added a second named driver during the quote process? Often adding a partner or friend who never drives car can help.

Beware driving car regularly as a named driver. If you crash its your father's car and insurance policy and he will have a claim, not you. You also don't build up much own named driving experience.
    Where will car be parked overnight? Any owners house or your house? If not at father's house might not be legit.

Do you really need this car or would another, cheaper to insure car do until you build up your own named no claims history. E.g. get a less than 10 year old small engine car or ask insurer to recommend what to buy.
    It sound like you use your bike daily now, do you need a car or just something with cheap tax/insurance/low depreciation?

Did you try ring a few brokers and go through all the questions and ask for advice?
    Insurers are assessing the risk of you claiming with 0 no claims bonus and a cheap/free car.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.
    zg3409 wrote: »
    Can you/have you added a second named driver during the quote process? Often adding a partner or friend who never drives car can help.

Beware driving car regularly as a named driver. If you crash its your father's car and insurance policy and he will have a claim, not you. You also don't build up much own named driving experience.

Where will car be parked overnight? Any owners house or your house? If not at father's house might not be legit.

Yes, I can add a second named driver and see if that makes a difference.

Yes again, I would not really like to use with fathers insurance and me named for those exact reasons!

Do you really need this car or would another, cheaper to insure car do until you build up your own named no claims history. E.g. get a less than 10 year old small engine car or ask insurer to recommend what to buy.
    It sound like you use your bike daily now, do you need a car or just something with cheap tax/insurance/low depreciation?

I do not need this car no, it would be a nice to have that would make everything a bit easier. There may be cheaper to insure cars but I'm "buying" this car from my father - we have an arrangement that would not be possible with other private sale.

I sold my bike for financial reasons a few months ago. This car will make a fantastic difference to daily life over the next year for a variety of reasons not just daily driver, but as above, is not a necessity.

Did you try ring a few brokers and go through all the questions and ask for advice?

Yes, a few. The main advice from brokers was to go to underwriters directly, but no luck so far, its still early in the day sure :)

Insurers are assessing the risk of you claiming with 0 no claims bonus and a cheap/free car.

The reason (when given) on rejections so far is solely the age of the car, not driver experience or any other factor. Easier to discuss and confirm over the phone of course but that is the feedback I am getting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Co11ins

Car: 2000 Toyota Altezza, Japanese import.
    Licence: Full
    NCB : 9 years named driver experience.
    Policy: 3rd party fire/theft, with glass cover.

€950 with FBD. Quite happy with that as these are notorious with young lads acting the clown. This is after a 15% discount on account of Macra membership.

Have been with FBD since I started driving so that stood to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I can add a second named driver and see if that makes a difference.

Yes again, I would not really like to use with fathers insurance and me named for those exact reasons!

I do not need this car no, it would be a nice to have that would make everything a bit easier. There may be cheaper to insure cars but I'm "buying" this car from my father - we have an arrangement that would not be possible with other private sale.

I sold my bike for financial reasons a few months ago. This car will make a fantastic difference to daily life over the next year for a variety of reasons not just daily driver, but as above, is not a necessity.

Yes, a few. The main advice from brokers was to go to underwriters directly, but no luck so far, its still early in the day sure :)

The reason (when given) on rejections so far is solely the age of the car, not driver experience or any other factor. Easier to discuss and confirm over the phone of course but that is the feedback I am getting so far.

On the Axa quote specify the max number of years continuous you can prove.6yrs gets you 65% ncb scale, 7 = 70% and if 8 then you’ll meet max 75% scale.
    Higher % = lower quote

Co11ins wrote: »
    Car: 2000 Toyota Altezza, Japanese import.
    Licence: Full
    NCB : 9 years named driver experience.
    Policy: 3rd party fire/theft, with glass cover.

€950 with FBD. Quite happy with that as these are notorious with young lads acting the clown. This is after a 15% discount on account of Macra membership.

Have been with FBD since I started driving so that stood to me.

Thats - kind - reasonable.

I can't understand why they won't quote me at all tbh: 53, full NCB, 2006 Clio 1.2.

Baffling

Ode To The Motorist

Thats - kind - reasonable.

I can't understand why they won't quote me at all tbh: 53, full NCB, 2006 Clio 1.2.

Baffling

Can I ask is there any u25 drivers also in the equation?
    Insurer may feel there is a fronting risk?

FBD and Axa will quote if Insured only/& partner but no fronting flags

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Can I ask is there any u25 drivers also in the equation?
    Insurer may feel there is a fronting risk?

FBD and Axa will quote if Insured only/& partner but no fronting flags

No, no named driver apart from wife (who has her own car, her own policy).

No, son has own motorbike insurance with Liberty, daughter her own with Liberty, wife her own with Aviva.

Just off the phone now, got cover for €341 from Liberty.

What a bloody palaver.

Ode To The Motorist

No, no named driver apart from wife (who has her own car, her own policy).

No, son has own motorbike insurance with Liberty, daughter her own with Liberty, wife her own with Aviva.

Just off the phone now, got cover for €341 from Liberty.

What a bloody palaver.

Glad you got sorted, be sure the clan use you joining Liberty as grounds for more renewal discount for them.
    Kids u25 of living at same address as parents can get additional discount,separate to renewal rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Just got our own renewal.
    Car - 2001 Ford Focus
    Male - 64 (I’m a named driver age 58)
    Axa have quoted €280 comprehensive.
    Can’t do better than that! Hubby has owned the car from 2004 so I guess that makes the difference.
    My own insurance won’t be as good as that I’m sure.
    Feel sorry for anyone trying to get insurance for the first time. I think they pull the figures out of the air most of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭howsshenow

Great thread.
    Renewal on 2005 Toyota 2litre D4d Saloon, 50 yr old own driver no points or claims.

E510 Comprehensive with Allianz, Very happy with that.

• Advertisement

Kalimah wrote: »
    Just got our own renewal.
    Car - 2001 Ford Focus
    Male - 64 (I’m a named driver age 58)
    Axa have quoted €280 comprehensive.
    Can’t do better than that! Hubby has owned the car from 2004 so I guess that makes the difference.
    My own insurance won’t be as good as that I’m sure.
    Feel sorry for anyone trying to get insurance for the first time. I think they pull the figures out of the air most of the time!

AXAs website says 333 minimum premium....
    Was it via a broker?

Advertisement