Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal Investigations

• 30-06-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was just wondering is there any paranormal investigations that are open to members of the public to tag along?
    I don't mean ghost tours or touristy type things or anything like that but the likes of serious night-time tours around known haunted locations etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

Well there a couple of public investigations coming up.

Irish Ghosthunters have public investigations in Wicklow Gaol on July 9th, July 22nd, August 19th, September 23rd & 24th and October 29th & 30th.. each of these are €50 a head.

My own team have a public investigation for charity on August 26th, which is in Muckross Abbey in Killarney which is only €20 a head. All proceeds raised going to Our Ladies Hospital for Sick Children in Crumlin.

I am not sure of any other public investigations being run.. these are just the ones I know of.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

it all depends on if you prefer 'ghost hunting' for the entertainment value, or paranormal research for the actual 'research' value.

If its the former, then go spend money paying people to 'entertain' you. If it's the latter, look for a reputable, locally based paranormal research group and ask to join them on an investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

maccored wrote: »
    it all depends on if you prefer 'ghost hunting' for the entertainment value, or paranormal research for the actual 'research' value.

If its the former, then go spend money paying people to 'entertain' you. If it's the latter, look for a reputable, locally based paranormal research group and ask to join them on an investigation.

Definately the latter. Cheers for the replies. Do you know of any such groups around the Dublin/Leinster area?

around Dublin theres Paranormal Research Association of Ireland, Paranormal Investigation Guys and Paranormal Watch Ireland. Theres also Leinster Paranormal based in Carlow and Dublin but we aren't really looking to expand and most of our cases are private anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Paranormal Investigation Guys arnt running any public things and probably won't for a long time. Too much stress! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

You also have Dublin Paranormal Investigations and Wexford Paranormal.

Wexford Paranormal are actually planning another public investigation, they ( as far as I know ) do not normally bring members of the public on investigations as a lot of them are private. If you join the Wexford Paranormal facebook page they update it and let you know of the date / venue etc.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

FYI there have been some allegations of "sexual misconduct" made about a few groups out there in recent months. It would be wise to do a background check of any groups you do go with just to be on the safe side.

Usually I laugh about everything in a Doctor Hibbert fashion but this is fairly serious.

Yeah PIG's are not doing anything anymore. But there are alot of new teams out there now that are so good , they can actually create ghosts !! So the price of the open investigations has gone up.

i think the OP mentioned they werent into the 'oh nos its a ghosty, how much do I owe you?' type stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

maccored wrote: »
    i think the OP mentioned they werent into the 'oh nos its a ghosty, how much do I owe you?' type stuff

Exactly.
    It'd be serious investigations that I'd be interested in. Cheers for all the replies folks. It seems its hard enough to get involved in a proper investigation as they mainly seem to be private. :(

• Advertisement

the best idea is look out for a team and then contact them

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Yukina

DCU also has a paranormal society that is planning trips for next acedemic year, we're only new to the game ourselves so any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Melodi

If your serious about this, another route to go might be to ask if anyone in your area is interested, form a private club and explore things together. Get advice (if you can) from other groups (especially the more serious ones) but start out slow and do your preparation work.

This can be true for almost any sort of metaphysical study, from ghost busting to tarot reading. If you can't find people already experienced in it to join, then form an group of interested newbies and carefully explore things together. Start safe, or with a really good book/lesson plan on the subject; be wise and don't try taking on the scene of a local gruesome murder for your first experiment.

If I was going to do this (and I have no plans at this time) I would look at various forms of voice recording and perhaps start there. That's a hobby that can get pretty expensive if you get fancy, but was started in the old days by people using just tape players in graveyards and old buildings.

But whatever you (or your group does) please read a good book about and practice basic psychic protection techniques first. Trust me, your going to need them if you do this sort of work, even if you have the best intentions in the world; your likely to "attract" somethings that won't appreciate your efforts.

Melodi

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mac.the.hat

The reason why most paranormal investigations are private is quite simply confidentiality. Most reports of suspected paranormal activity relate to private residences and businesses and in the vast majority of cases, the families and individuals concerned quite simply do not want it known (for obvious reasons) that they may have 'ghosts' to coin a phrase. Teams are therefore reluctant to take outsiders on these investigations because they can no longer guarantee confidentiality.

The reasons for the charges for public investigations include rental of the location, refreshments and insurance (public liability, premises and event). You introduce 20 or 30 people into a strange location in the middle of the night in pitch dark for 6 or 7 hours and the fun starts.

Hope this helps.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'm getting to the stafe now where if I were to do investigations, I'd be doing both in the sense that I'd be doing semi-formal investigations to the public (as well as organising events for businesses as team building exercises), as well as providing free (except for travel costs) investigative services to residential and small commercial (think offices, warehouses and people who wouldn't want to make a profit on investigations) though I'd do investigations at a cost to places like pubs and organisations that would stand to profit from the investigation. The semi-formal investigations would help raise money for equipment and insurance (which is required in the UK), which would mean a more effective service is provided.

Granted, these ideas are just flying about in my head at the moment, but if you want to do anything serious nowadays, you do need to put down a lot of money to cover insurances (event and team), seeing as you need about £3+ million in liability insurance to be allowed to investigate an area; the days of waivers are kind of over here. Of course, the UK's a bit more ahead in terms of the ghost hunting/paranormal "sector" as it were, so what applies there may not apply here. what I mean is that there are a lot more groups here than over there, so saturation has occurred, and also no one will touch you without insurance.

I'm assuming that you guys can still get away with waivers, but that hasn't been the case here in the past few years... even if it isn't for profit, you still really do need to get your insurance covered for investigations, be it out of your pockets, or someone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 phargone74

Hello, my name is Phargone74 I am the current acting director of operations for the Ascalon Group. We are working on research projects to release the public for the first time. The one I would like to bring up with you today is a proposed Deep dive into the legend and any modern context for the anonymous phenomenon known as Krampus.

Krampus is a mythical creature from Alpine folklore, who is typically depicted as a creature with a long tongue, fur, and cloven hooves. Krampus is believed to have originated in Northern Europe, and his name derives from the German word Krampen, which means “claw.” The origins of Krampus can be traced back to pre-Christian pagan traditions in the Alpine region, where he was believed to be a symbol of the winter and the dark, foreboding forces of nature. In some versions of the folklore, he is depicted as a devil-like figure who punishes wicked children by beating them with birch branches or chains, or by stuffing them into a sack and carrying them off to hell. Despite his frightening reputation, Krampus has become a beloved figure in modern times, with many people embracing him as a symbol of fun and mischief during the Christmas season.

The purpose of this post is to ask if anyone has themselves or knows someone personally who believes they have seen a sighting of paranormal and or preternatural beings that correspond to the description of Krampus. We hope to release the first of these AP (Anomalous Phenomena) files before Christmas of this year 2023. We are appealing to the Paranormal community and the public at Large for assistance. You may email us at ASCALON2000@protonmail.com if you are not comfortable posting here. We will accept any reports that you wish to leave anonymously however please leave as many Geographic details as possible that would not compromise your anonymity. If you would like to leave contact information be advised that we have very strict confidentiality policies and your name, location, and any other identifying information will not be released publicly. Thank you for taking the time to read this short request and everyone at the Ascalon Group wishes you a Merry Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 AnthonyGiarrusso
    Executive Motivational Speaker, Paranormal Lecturer, Sales Professional, Author, & Beach Traveler

I would recommend reaching out to your local paranormal investigation group and ask them to join. Look them up online, there should be atleast one within an hour drive, unless if you live with a very rural area, but you should be able to find something. Try it.

Advertisement