Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[BPB] 2015 Boards Photobook

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

CabanSail wrote: »
    It does not seem there is the interest to do it again. It is a pity. Glad I have a full set of past editions.

Could something be done with POTW and Challenge winners?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

McGaggs wrote: »
    Could something be done with POTW and Challenge winners?

For quite a while the Boards Photobook was yearly issued shortly before Christmas. I suppose a photo of the day or a challenge would not get this back on track.
    Unfortunately there are not enough people with lots of time and plenty know-how to be found to compile a new book.....maybe not even enough photographers :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I do not mind doing the compiling again but would need some there to do the coordination.

There would also need to be enough contributors to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I would love to submit an image but don't have the time to assist - work pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I would absolutely LOVE to see another book but as I cannot help with coordination due to an already imbalanced work life, I can only commit to participating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Right, it seems there is a certain amount of fondness for this. Who knows, if everyone who reads this could poke people they know and contacts on social media or elsewhere (boardsies who maybe still reading/not posting), maybe you'd get some additional interest beyond the forum.

Here's how it *could* work with minimum effort (sorry, lazy me :)) but might be better than it being gone for good -- maybe ramp up again in subsequent years if there was a desire to do so.
    • Pick date. (4 weeks from now or in a day or two if we decide it *might* work).
    • Open for immediate submissions (set up a gmail or similar). As submissions are made, they can be added to the publication software.
    • Put an upper limit on the numbers of photos (you know.... just in case)
    • Choose Blurb solution (or anything that supports self ordering)
    • On the appointed submission closing date, whoever is doing the compilation adds the final images and as soon as they can publish the book.
    • If someone wants to organise a group buy then let them fire ahead with all that goes with it -- this, if i recall correctly and even with the best of intentions and efforts was an arduous, time consuming, and thankless task -- was even a few rows and close shaves in the past -- a bail out was even involved while paypal froze money of one poor volunteer.
    • People wouldn't have to join a group unless the wanted to - they could just order from the blurb site on an individual purchase basis.

You would have to leave it to a persons honour that if they submit an image, then they will purchase a book.

The above mightn't make a fortune for the charity but it might just get the project back on track(ish) for those that are interested.

In reality I get the sense on the forum that there are less people pursuing photography as a hobby *at the moment* [yup, hands up here] or some that might just need this as their muse/inspiration to get back in the game [yeah, hands up here too!].

The above is lower key than anything in the past. A launch party? This is very time consuming (again, if i recall correctly). Maybe don't build the expectation for this. It appears many would be happy just to take part, have something published that they can get a hold of, and help to contribute a little to a charity prior to Christmas. If it were to happen (again, if there was interest and someone wanted to organise), then fine - let it happen. But don't let the organisation of this or lack of prevent a book from being produced.

EDIT:

Now that i'm thinking of it. We could have a photo walk one Saturday in the lead up to the closing of submissions - 2 or more would be enough for a photowalk, with an objective to get *THE* photo on an afternoon or just meet up for the fun if you already have an image in mind.

So, what say you???.......... Worth taking a lower key approach or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Right, it seems there is a certain amount of fondness for this. Who knows, if everyone who reads this could poke people they know and contacts on social media or elsewhere (boardsies who maybe still reading/not posting), maybe you'd get some additional interest beyond the forum.

Here's how it *could* work with minimum effort (sorry, lazy me :)) but might be better than it being gone for good -- maybe ramp up again in subsequent years if there was a desire to do so.
    • Pick date. (4 weeks from now or in a day or two if we decide it *might* work).
    • Open for immediate submissions (set up a gmail or similar). As submissions are made, they can be added to the publication software.
    • On the appointed submission closing date, whoever is doing the compilation adds the final images and as soon as they can publish the book.
    • If someone wants to organise a group buy then let them fire ahead with all that goes with it -- this, if i recall correctly and even with the best of intentions and efforts was an arduous, time consuming, and thankless task -- was even a few rows and close shaves in the past -- a bail out was even involved while paypal froze money of one poor volunteer.
    • People wouldn't have to join a group unless the wanted to - they could just order from the blurb site on an individual purchase basis.

You would have to leave it to a persons honour that if they submit an image, then they will purchase a book.

The above mightn't make a fortune for the charity but it might just get the project back on track(ish) for those that are interested.

In reality I get the sense on the forum that there are less people pursuing photography as a hobby *at the moment* [yup, hands up here] or some that might just need this as their muse/inspiration to get back in the game [yeah, hands up here too!].

The above is lower key than anything in the past. A launch party? This is very time consuming (again, if i recall correctly). Maybe don't build the expectation for this. It appears many would be happy just to take part, have something published that they can get a hold of, and help to contribute a little to a charity prior to Christmas. If it were to happen (again, if there was interest and someone wanted to organise), then fine - let it happen. But don't let the organisation of this or lack of prevent a book from being produced.

EDIT:

Now that i'm thinking of it. We could have a photo walk one Saturday in the lead up to the closing of submissions - 2 or more would be enough for a photowalk, with an objective to get *THE* photo on an afternoon or just meet up for the fun if you already have an image in mind.

So, what say you???.......... Worth taking a lower key approach or not?

Seeing as you have all the idea's we will leave you in charge to get the ball rolling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Seeing as you have all the idea's we will leave you in charge to get the ball rolling :D

Investigations (along the lines of above) underway. And if the forum are ok with it, then it can happen. All we will need is your photo (and about 19 others [at minimum] if its to be a runner).

So, get releasing that shutter, clicking, or snapping - whatever you like. We won't be proud. Assuming no blockages along the road, we'll be looking forward to seeing your entry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I will do the layout again if you like.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Right, it seems there is a certain amount of fondness for this.  Who knows, if everyone who reads this could poke people they know and contacts on social media or elsewhere (boardsies who maybe still reading/not posting), maybe you'd get some additional interest beyond the forum.

• Open for immediate submissions (set up a gmail or similar).  As submissions are made, they can be added to the publication software.

The above is lower key than anything in the past.  A launch party? This is very time consuming (again, if i recall correctly).  Maybe don't build the expectation for this.  It appears many would be happy just to take part, have something published that they can get a hold of, and help to contribute a little to a charity prior to Christmas.  If it were to happen (again, if there was interest and someone wanted to organise), then fine - let it happen.  But don't let the organisation of this or lack of prevent a book from being produced.

EDIT:

Now that i'm thinking of it.  We could have a photo walk one Saturday in the lead up to the closing of submissions - 2 or more would be enough for a photowalk, with an objective to get *THE* photo on an afternoon or just meet up for the fun if you already have an image in mind.

So, what say you???..........  Worth taking a lower key approach or not?
    somehow my english is not sufficient to fully understand what you're saying, but in general i think i get the idea. please let me know and include me if/when/how this is going to go ahead.

• Advertisement

somehow my english is not sufficient to fully understand what you're saying, but in general i think i get the idea. please include me if/when/how this is going to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well do the images have to be recent or something you have taken over the years?

Advertisement