Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

both have similar range of supermarkets?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Drink is not cheap in the north.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Will be heading up to Belfast in a couple of weeks. Any decent off-licences on the way back, specifically with a good range of craft beers that we wouldn't usually see down here?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Madagascan

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Most stores two packets of paracetamol.
    Not sure about ibuprofen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

joeysoap wrote: »

£32 last month for a ltr of gordans and bacardi in asda enniskillen.

• Advertisement

i think thats pretty good value there no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

youngblood wrote: »
    i think thats pretty good value there no?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

£15 for a litre of Smirnoff and captain Morgan's recently in Sainsbury's, worked out at €34.40, that's cheap. There's always been good value in booze over the years in the north, you just need to be buying large amounts of whatever it is your after to get the saving and make your trip worthwhile

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Spirits are. Beer often isn't - they've higher duties; especially on higher abv%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Agree. beer is not cheap. I find that Dunnes and Lidl are as cheap at Christmas as makes not difference with the north. Unless you are treating it as a day out, or buying other stuff.

Slab of Guinness in Tesco last week €28. You won't get that in the north, ( and a lot of the cans are 440 size)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Beer (well specifically lager) will be sold as a loss leader in all of the UK supermarkets in the run in to Christmas. These vary by supermarket of course but it's not unusual to see (by way of example) 3 cases of 12s (be that 440ml/500ml cans or 330ml/500ml bottles) for £20. And you can mix and match brands etc. That's their standard offer at Christmas time. It tends to be on mainstream (i.e. non-Craft) lagers, but that will appeal to most shoppers.

It's just too early to see those offers yet, but they will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

youngblood wrote:
    both have similar range of supermarkets?

Yes, Newry is Sainsburys and Tesco, Enniskillen is Asda and Tesco.

I always check online before a trip, from time to time each has special offers.
    joeysoap wrote:
    Not cheap just a lot cheaper than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just back from Enniskillen. Spirits and wine bought for Christmas. I'll wait nearer the time for the beers. You Sir are incorrect by a long way.

Good to hear Old Rio-anything you spotted on bargain youd recommend?
    heading up tomorrow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Busy? Heading up in the morning...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

youngblood wrote: »
    Good to hear Old Rio-anything you spotted on bargain youd recommend?
    heading up tomorrow

Hi, Prosecco was purchased in Asda for a fiver.

Redbreast Whiskey, 12 year old was 40 pounds. Cost about 60 euro normally. There had a good selection of other Whisky's and Whiskeys at reasonable prices.

Asda Courvoisier Cognac was 20 pounds.

I'll pop back up early December. Good savings to be made on the Christmas trees.
    As for the food? Cheaper and better selection here in Leitrim. IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Spirits and wine are so cheap above in comparison. I'd never go up just for a shopping trip, but when I'm up I'll always stop on the way back and rid myself of any excess sterling I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

OldRio wrote: »
    Redbreast Whiskey, 12 year old was 40 pounds. Cost about 60 euro normally.

Redbreast is 31 GBP in Sainsbury, a bargain.

Prices yesterday
    1 litre Tanqueray Gin 20 pound Tesco
    1 litre Bombay sapphire 20 pound Asda
    70cl Jack Daniels 15 pound Asda
    1 litre of Captain Morgans 18 pound Tesco
    1 litre of Smirnoff 15 pound Asda

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Will be heading up to Belfast in a couple of weeks. Any decent off-licences on the way back, specifically with a good range of craft beers that we wouldn't usually see down here?

Check out this blog - while it's from 2013/2014, I've checked a lot of the links and a lot are still working so you should find something

https://belfastbeer.wordpress.com/2013/08/09/craft-beer-spots-off-sales/

also- these

https://twitter.com/LightHouseWines

https://twitter.com/kwmwine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zaph wrote: »

There aren't many beers with UK distributors that bother with NI and no ROI distributor - and stronger craft beers are dearer in the UK due to an aggressive ramp in duty that we don't have. So don't expect bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Haven't been up shopping in Newry in 8 or 9 years.
    My wife and I have a hankering to drive up there next Friday and maybe stay overnight.

I would imagine most of any shopping done would be in stores like M&S and debenhams and looking at their UK and Irish websites there appears to be a massive difference in price when you convert the Euro to pounds.

Anyone who have been up recently got any other good deal tips around houshold and general gift purchases.

BTW we were thinking of staying in the Flagstaff lodge. reviews seem to be good. Any boardies stay there before or any tips or other possible places to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 stingz

Quick question
    Can I pay in euro in Asda enniskillen and what is exchange rate euro to sterling??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

stingz wrote: »
    Quick question
    Can I pay in euro in Asda enniskillen and what is exchange rate euro to sterling??

Current official mid exchange rate is €1.13/£1

So probably €1.15/£1

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

stingz wrote: »
    Quick question
    I cant say for sure but I think most if not all Asda Stores will accept Euros. The Strabane branch certainly does.

At one time they used to set an exchange rate on a Monday and stuck with that for the remainder of the week but I think the rate may change daily now.

Unless you want a fair bit of sterling change just ensure you have €5, €10 and €20 notes as they convert your Euros and give the change in sterling. If for example something cost £70 they would ask for €80 so if you had nothing but 2 €50 notes then (if they dont have Euro notes themselves) they will exchange your €100 and give you the change in sterling. Thats fine if you're going shopping elsewhere or are returning again for another visit but it would be a lot handier to hand over €80.

Google the number and give them a ring in the morning to see what their exchange rate will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

ASDA Enniskillen definitely take euro. They have quite a competitive exchange rate too. I don’t recall the exact figure but it was as good as I was getting with my revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Anyone know if Asda or Tesco are doing deals on slabs? Will be passing Enniskillen later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jtk13

Does anyone know where I can buy baileys pumpkin flavoured Irish liquor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

GBP has fallen to 90p, that's a nine-month low.

Advertisement