Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

kadman wrote: »
    Most recent woodwork topic for me, were these Yew hollow forms.
    About 10 inches high by 5 inches diameter

Wow they look great Tim. I take it you got sorted with a chuck to suit your lathe?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

woodturner wrote: »
    Wow they look great Tim. I take it you got sorted with a chuck to suit your lathe?

Chuck never happened, as i had two or three multijaw lathe chucks.

So a bit of ingenuity and re tapping chuck mounting back plates,
    and job done.

Yeah , they are not bad at all, but yew is hard to beat really, its a
    class timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Yf0fHI.jpg

Roughing turning before putting it into the kiln.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Finished this little table today, really happy with it! Was just doing it for the laugh, but it's actually the perfect size for next to my bed, I have somewhere to leave my phone and laptop now instead of the floor :)

398828.jpg

398829.jpg

I was originally intending on doing a fancy nest of tables, but I needed more wood than I had thought, so said I'll just do the one instead and a simpler design.

I had also attempted a box joint with the legs flush to the sides, but made a hames of it so it's just screwed. Next project I have to use some joinery!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Finished the first white coat and the two fiddly-bits willow-colour coat on the shed:

IMG_9468a.jpg

And got the last of the slats for the current project roughed out:

IMG_9465a.jpg

This week will see a lot of planing to thickness in a thicknessing jig...

2016-09-25-12.20.38a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Nice jig, how wide is the track on it? Will the place ride the rails parallel or will you have to skew it across the rails.

I made a smaller one for my no5 a while back, worked a treat. Much smaller pieces than you're dealing with though!!

Ah, it's larger in the photo than real life :D
    It's just wide enough for my #5½ plane + ¼" so it'll ride parallel readily enough. The slats are mostly around 11-12mm thick and they're being planed down to ⅜" (so about 9.5mm) thick each, and they're only around 1¾" wide. The real pain was the rough-cutting because resawing 8x1 ash boards by hand is not as much fun as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Building a playhouse for my son made some windows today.

IMG_9506a.jpg

IMG_9510a.jpg

Finished my "rustic" cheese press.

It's not exactly fine furniture, but to be fair, it was a pair of 2x4 offcuts and a length of threaded rod last Thursday, so I think it's okay for a cack-handed amateur.

IMG_9372a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I'm working on a Fender Stratocaster for my son. Its nearly finished. I'll have to post a photo soon if anyone
    is interested....

• Advertisement

Here is I piece of wood I had to have and made this table
    from it, I love the wood colours ....

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Here is I piece of wood I had to have and made this table
    from it, I love the wood colours ....

Lovely stuff.
    How are the legs joined?

delaney001 wrote: »
    Lovely stuff.
    How are the legs joined?

Thanks. Its a tennon join into the table. Simple enough..

Simple maybe, but beautiful work...

Here is something else I made during the summer. I love lights from Veneer and always
    looking for different ideas, well, here is something I came up with , I had shells in my head
    while thinging this one up...

Currently here is how my Stratocaster looks like, all the hard work and calculations are
    done, phew! Nearly done ....

And yes, my shed is a mess...lol, my wife never comes in !!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Currently here is how my Stratocaster looks like, all the hard work and calculations are
    done, phew! Nearly done ....

And yes, my shed is a mess...lol, my wife never comes in !!!!

Awesome stuff mate,

What wood do you use for the body and neck?

The Master wrote: »
    Awesome stuff mate,

What wood do you use for the body and neck?

Thanks a lot. Well, its a bit of a mixture. The Neck is Maple. The body is actually 3 pieces of Iroko that I had around in the shed for 12 years plus...well dried out for sure! The pick board I made from solid Walnut I had and just sliced it with the bandsaw.
    If anyone is into the guitar , give me a shout, I'd be interested to talk..

Putting the rest of us to shame!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If anyone is into the guitar , give me a shout, I'd be interested to talk..
    you mean in terms of purchasing it, or just learning from your experience making it?

• Advertisement

you mean in terms of purchasing it, or just learning from your experience making it?

Well, just if anyone else is going to make one. Not selling this one. I may make another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Grueller

Oak sideboard for my entrance hall. One photo with the doors not made. The other with the doors and drawer fronts made and loosely sitting in place. Need to fit the drawers, will use bearing guided runners, hinge the doors, make and fit the top and apply a finish.
    For the finish I am thinking 3 coats Danish oil followed by beeswax on top. It gives a lovely lustre to oak and if done correctly is as smooth as glass.

Grueller wrote: »
    Oak sideboard for my entrance hall. One photo with the doors not made. The other with the doors and drawer fronts made and loosely sitting in place. Need to fit the drawers, will use bearing guided runners, hinge the doors, make and fit the top and apply a finish.
    For the finish I am thinking 3 coats Danish oil followed by beeswax on top. It gives a lovely lustre to oak and if done correctly is as smooth as glass.

Looks well, nice job.

Tried a cheapo approach to shavings&dust collection. Didn't work.

IMG_9629a.jpg

Did some steambending of a test offcut of walnut.

IMG_9651a.jpg

IMG_9661a.jpg

IMG_9664a.jpg

Lots of mistakes led to partial failure:

IMG_9673a.jpg

But this is why we do tests, right?
    Besides. Not a complete failure...

Just finished this chair on the weekend. It's based on a chair I saw on Pinterest. Not a million miles from an Adirondack chair.

https://twitter.com/davemcginn_ie/status/793140280019021825

I stuck it on adverts.ie for the craic! Would be happy to recoup material costs. If nobody buys it, then it'll be a present for somebody :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

New apron and glue up.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0270.jpg

Clamp glue blocks.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0269.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_0273.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Grueller

Grueller wrote: »

Hope I have attached the photo properly. Here it is finished and in its final resting place.

Here's an Electric Guitar based on the Strat. Just finished it and quite pleased with it. plays well too...

I did a class in working with green wood with Alison Ospina in Skibbereen - made this nice little table/stool.

401332.JPG

401333.JPG

• Advertisement

Busy couple of days!

Made my first lamp out of some pallet wood and scrap, which I'm super happy with! I suspect it won't be last lamp I make...

401652.jpeg

Working on this little table now - first attempt at a dado joint, and it was angled, using the circular saw! Hard work. It's pretty rough, but feels strong. Gonna add a piece of wood connecting the two side panels to secure them, possibly mortise and tenon through them.

401651.JPG

Getting a bit frustrated with my tools now - would have loved a drill press and/or bigger bit for the lamp, and would have loved a table saw for the table dado. Would also like a router to add some detail to the lamp.

And I'm unsure how I'm gonna do a mortise and tenon for the table, because my chisels are all blunt! And I don't even have a belt sander to try and sharpen them myself :o Incidentally does anyone know somewhere in Dublin I could drop in some chisels and get them sharpened? Thanks

Advertisement