Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest with Electric Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyhorse

QUOTE=AdamB;109213729]As far as I know, every home built pre 2006 is eligible for a home heating control grant up to €700 though SEAI. When I asked EI on the phone if having a Climote control installed by them would effect any future application for a grant they were unable to tell me.

Interesting!
    I have the Nest on order with EI (not yet installed). I also plan on upgrading boiler in the next couple of years. By availing of this Nest offer, will I be then unable to claim the €700 SEAI "heating controls" grant when I eventually upgrade my boiler?
    SEAI might be able to give me an answer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't know if the scheme they're tapping is the same as the SEAI one. SEAI one requires BER certs and Rather A Lot of paperwork; this doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LJ3103

Can these be used to heat the water only, I currently can set my time for heat / water or water only

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can you get a nest installation,if your oil boiler is outside and you have one of them old push in timer clock inside the house?
    Yes. All the time clock does is close a circuit like a switch. This is what NEST does too

L1011 wrote: »
    I don't know if the scheme they're tapping is the same as the SEAI one. SEAI one requires BER certs and Rather A Lot of paperwork; this doesn't.

They’d be using this one:
    https://www.seai.ie/energy-in-business/energy-efficiency-obligation-scheme/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ted1 wrote: »

Which is likely the one I got some amount of credit off my electricity bill (from Electric Ireland) for the installation of the same controls then they replaced (some of) 15 months later. I would doubt they can go to the pot twice; but the T&Cs for this deal only state that they can use any credits that are available - not that they have to be available.

Two sets of incentives claimed, house is fully lit with LED, kitchen of A+/++ appliances and its a 1970s house retrofitted to C1/B3 level - I don't think they've made much money on me :pac:

Which is likely the one I got some amount of credit off my electricity bill (from Electric Ireland) for the installation of the same controls then they replaced (some of) 15 months later. I would doubt they can go to the pot twice; but the T&Cs for this deal only state that they can use any credits that are available - not that they have to be available.

Two sets of incentives claimed, house is fully lit with LED, kitchen of A+/++ appliances and its a 1970s house retrofitted to C1/B3 level - I don't think they've made much money on me :pac:
    I think they work that smart controls save 20% and they take that off the national average household usage. That’s the credit they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyhorse

Interesting reading. Is the consensus that eligibility to claim €700 SEAI heating control grant in the future is unaffected by having EI install Nest.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sounds too good to be true, so I went and ordered it anyway :D

Scheduled for install in February, not sure if they send the Nest and Home Mini to me first, or if installer comes equipped with Nest and Google Home Mini comes seperately, after install is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

audi02 wrote: »
    I rang today and this is wat i was told...would 2 different orders work i wonder?
    scano.ie wrote: »
    I've 2 zones and water so would need 2 but the price goes up to €400 could I just do 2 different orders maybe under different names?

Some people have been known to get three Nests by creating three separate orders using the same details on each order. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Hogzy wrote: »
    Can anyone else confirm that you dont need to be with Electric Ireland to avail of this because the website explicitly states that the offer is for existing customers or those willing to switch to Electric Ireland.:confused:

You don't i already had an argument with electric ireland they didn't even know , got mine today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭torrevieja

byte wrote: »
    Sounds too good to be true, so I went and ordered it anyway :D

Scheduled for install in February, not sure if they send the Nest and Home Mini to me first, or if installer comes equipped with Nest and Google Home Mini comes seperately, after install is complete.

Electrician brings everything on day

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Guys, quick question for you as I don't know a whole lot about central heating. I'm going to ring EI but forearmed with information first is not a bad idea:

I have an external oil burner with an on/off switch and timer in the kitchen. I have two separate thermostats (one downstairs and one upstairs). The plan would be to replace the heating timer in the kitchen with a nest and eventually replace the two thermostats at a later stage. My question is would the Nest be suitable to replace just the heating timer for the moment or would the timer plus other thermostat zones need replacing all at the same time? I'm not too worried about not being able to control the temperature in the other zones at present through Nest.

For now I really just want to be able to switch the heating on remotely through the Nest app or google home. Is the Nest suitable for this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

godtabh wrote: »
    I.m signed up. Waiting 9 months for installation. Was meant to be last week. Now Jan it appears

Got my Hub Controller installed yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

kungfual wrote: »
    Is this Hub Alexa or Google compatible?

..barely any information on the website

had a look on the nest site and it is.
    https://nest.com/support/article/Nest-and-Amazon-Alexa

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

would there be a way to get two of these for €260 or am I being cheeky? Added 2 to the cart and it goes up to €400.

also are these the latest version (3rd gen)

I moved to Electric Ireland recently.

Signed up with their 200 cash back offer and then a week later when the account was fully active I availed of the 130 Nest offer.

The guy on the phone advised me to do it this way for the best deal

I'm with bord gais, so basically with this i'll swap to EI and get the nests for more or less free!

I've a two zoned system and the blurb says just to order two of them.
    Great deal!

would there be a way to get two of these for €260 or am I being cheeky? Added 2 to the cart and it goes up to €400

That's what i was hoping to do. one of the other posters was saying they just put in two orders with exactly the same details.
    i'm not sure they'll honor that though.

asharkman wrote: »
    That's what i was hoping to do. one of the other posters was saying they just put in two orders with exactly the same details.

Or get it delivered to your work and tell em you don't need them to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Honestfrank01

godtabh wrote:
    Got my Hub Controller installed yesterday

How is it?? Were you waiting long for the install and does in connect through alexa?

• Advertisement

They honoured my 3 orders, and I'm even paying for them interest free over 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

I was going to put in 2 separate orders now.

2 things:
    Where does it state that it comes with a google home mini?

And its looking like I will have to take 2 different installation dates, is there any way around this?

Thanks guys

audi02 wrote: »
    I was going to put in 2 separate orders now.

2 things:
    Where does it state that it comes with a google home mini?

And its looking like I will have to take 2 different installation dates, is there any way around this?

Thanks guys

Haven't a clue about the Google Homes.

I had to 3 separate dates. But after yer man came the first day, I gave him the next two order numbers, and he did both on his next visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Soarer wrote: »
    Haven't a clue about the Google Homes.

I had to 3 separate dates. But after yer man came the first day, I gave him the next two order numbers, and he did both on his next visit.

Brill if I could do that it would be great. Did you get Google minis with yours

Edited to say out of curiosity why did you order 3?

I currently have a 3 zoned timer ..upstairs downstairs and hot water. Will 2 nests be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

How do Electric Ireland rates compare to other suppliers?

Or get it delivered to your work and tell em you don't need them to install it.

They are brought out by the installer. The European model Nest is not considered self-installable by Nest themselves - but the docs are in the box and really aren't that hard to follow. Think they're panicky about it being mains whereas the US model is either 12 or 24v for a control circuit which is the norm there.

European model has a "heat link" that replaces your old switch/timeswitch and the Nest itself which is USB powered but can be powered off the supply for a thermostat if you want (if I read the docs right). The US one replaces the switch itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just quick question on this I've no idea how it works!

I'm in rented accommodation atm say I got one of these installed what does it replace and would I be able to remove it and bring it with me if I moved?

Just quick question on this I've no idea how it works!

I'm in rented accommodation atm say I got one of these installed what does it replace and would I be able to remove it and bring it with me if I moved?

You will need landlord permission to install it and you would need to reinstate the old system before leaving. It replaces the main timeclock or on/off switch if no timeclock for the heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

You will need landlord permission to install it and you would need to reinstate the old system before leaving. It replaces the main timeclock or on/off switch if no timeclock for the heating.

Permission isn't a problem its more the fact im just wondering if it can be removed easy enough and used again.

How big a job would reinstating the older system be?

• Advertisement

Permission isn't a problem its more the fact im just wondering if it can be removed easy enough and used again.

How big a job would reinstating the older system be?

It’s very easy if you are know how. But if your aren’t competent at diy/electrics there’s always the risk of death by electrocution

Advertisement