Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Identifying people in an old photograph

Options
  • 31-10-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

It was suggested that I ask here if anyone can help to identify the people in these photographs. http://limerickslife.com/children/

What we know is that the pictures were taken at the Glentworth Hotel in the 1940s or 50s and the name Eileen Fitzmaurice might be a clue.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

I found a Eileen Fitzmaurice with Addresses at Lower Glentworth Street / New Street in the Registers of Electors for Limerick City 1931 to 1950 (Local Studies).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanigamadan

Given the style and position of the signature it appears that the portrait was photographed by an Eileen Fitzmaurice.

The Limerick Leader on 9th July 1938 published news about a court case (which was dismissed) involving a Miss Eileen Fitzmaurice for "overholding" of rent at her premises at 20 O'Connell Street which was used as a photographic studio. It implies that it had been in use as her studio since 1930. If she was withholding rent then business may not have been good and she may have closed soon afterwards so the photos may have been taken earlier than first thought.

(FWIW, Ferguson's Chemist used to be at 20 O'Connell Street.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 limerickslife

Thank you both, this does help to narrow down the search. So it seems all activities took place on Glentworth Street that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Do they record if children are twins on birth certs? May narrow it down as the girls seem to be identical twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Margaret Spearin

It was suggested that I ask here if anyone can help to identify the people in these photographs. http://limerickslife.com/children/

What we know is that the pictures were taken at the Glentworth Hotel in the 1940s or 50s and the name Eileen Fitzmaurice might be a clue.

Thank you.

I have a photo of a young boy dressed in white and holding a bunch of flowers ( looks like a communion photo) with signature Eileen Fitzmaurice Limerick. I have no idea who the boy is. Did you find out who Eileen Fitzmaurice was?

Margaret

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

Have forwarded the LL webpage to two people I know who have lived in Limerick 60+ years -

But I'm not sure anyone should dig too deep. The smiles on the two younger kids are *not* benevolent...

Advertisement