Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

Just called to my Dad's house and spotted this hidden in a corner and still in the box. Feck :pac:

Thanks for your help lads. Gonna pick one up for myself anyway so it wasn't a complete waste of time!

Whoops!
    Forgot pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Has anyone tried the ones priced on aliexpress? Are they useless?
    Here is a sample:

http://www.aliexpress.com/category/100006171/car-dvrs.html

Irish

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Has anyone tried the ones priced on aliexpress? Are they useless?
    Here is a sample:

http://www.aliexpress.com/category/100006171/car-dvrs.html

Irish

My bro has this one, image quality is good, and it's a neat device. He didn't manage to get the rear camera working, he thinks the connection is funny, but admitted it could have been his fault when wiring it. Worth a punt i reckon. Much smaller than a lot of the others on that site anyway.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD-720P-Dual-Lens-Dashboard-Car-vehicle-Camera-Video-Recorder-DVR-CAM-G-sensor-5-2/654129072.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I use a Dod GSE550, it has built in GPS and G-force sensors. So when you playback the video's it links to google maps and you can follow your route, its also displays speed. In the event of crash the g-force sensors detect it and save that section of video so that it cant be overwritten. It looks pretty smart too.
    Now the problems, it's a bitch to set up. There's a built in battery which is absolutely rubbish, without being plugged in I get maybe 20 secs of power. And it freezes all the time, I need to reset it and format the memory card about once a week. And it's pricey enough too, I think I paid about E250-300

Its actually only $130 on amazon now....that's depressing, I would recommend it at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Here you go;

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=itronics+itb-100+hd&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The reason the prices for these units has crept up is because Itronics have apparently clamped down on unauthorised sellers on ebay.

Great, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I am creating this dash cam merge for more technical discussion. For newbies and cam operators alike.
    Hopefully this will have more signal and less noise than the other thread.

Hence only post if you are committed to buying and have questions, general chat will be removed.

The links I have previously posted to the ITRONICS ITB-100HD on Ebay inevitably time out,so here is a permanent link to this dashcam;

http://www.itronics.co.kr/2009/eng/product/product_view.php?bs=4&bd=1&seq=50

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_RIo3OiJUD6pRLqwSP_Gwkk7PWhuuDwoaADCSR66b7eprmmsZyg

BTW,it is worth noting that Itronics have an updated version of this one on the market now too.Here is a review of the Itronics ITB-100HD SP (the new version);

http://dashcamtalk.com/itronics-itb-100hd-sp/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

randy, I see it says a "reminder to format the sd card twice a week" as a feature of the new model? I've never formatted the SD card, do you do it regularly and if so, why?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    randy, I see it says a "reminder to format the sd card twice a week" as a feature of the new model? I've never formatted the SD card, do you do it regularly and if so, why?

When I take the SD card out to upload a particular piece of footage to my computer, I always wipe/reformat the card.
    The cam tends to beep for a while the last few times,- I think this might have to do with the age of the SD card though,but this can be sorted out by powering off for about ten seconds.

You've just reminded me,I've been meaning to get another 32GB card from Amazon to keep as a backup.-Thanks Cormie!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I have a brand new, never been used, in original box, Smart Cam 2 camera that I am trying to sell at the price I bought it for. Its the one discussed a few times in this thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Sully wrote: »
    I have a brand new, never been used, in original box, Smart Cam 2 camera that I am trying to sell at the price I bought it for. Its the one discussed a few times in this thread. :)

How much did you buy it for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

heres 3 for ya to ponder over!!!!
    next day delivery to your door.
    http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?Keyword=camera

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

cormie wrote: »
    Randy and I both have the iTronics ITB100HD. I think the seller on Ebay had to stop selling them as they were below MSRP or something like that. Unfortunately the price of them seems to have shot up considerably since I bought mine but you may find a good price if you look hard. At the time of purchase, they were the best of the best. I don't know if anything better has come out since but I did see this one which seems to be pretty good quality for the price: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P-dfvPX0dOs
    I like the look of both of these cameras. I can see them both on ebay for (roughly) €200 and €120 respectively. However the second is only available from China which I would be dubious about. Anyone know a dependable retailer for either of these?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

CiniO wrote: »
    How much did you buy it for?

€85 from the UK. :)

€85 from the UK. :)

Just asking out of curiosity, as they seemed to be much cheaper before.
    I remember I got smartcam1 720p for 45 pounds, and then a month later smartcam2 came in but it was already something like 60 pounds, which eventually rose to nearly 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I'm looking for one that I can use in my car and truck. So it would have to have an input of 12v-24v. I've just started looking on Ebay and I can see some for around €30-€40. I did try using my smart phone but it drained the battery quickly and couldn't charge while the camera was running. I would like one that can continuously record (over writing older footage) if that's possible.

I'm looking for one that I can use in my car and truck. So it would have to have an input of 12v-24v. I've just started looking on Ebay and I can see some for around €30-€40. I did try using my smart phone but it drained the battery quickly and couldn't charge while the camera was running. I would like one that can continuously record (over writing older footage) if that's possible.
    A dash cam should over write, thats a basic feature.

You'd probably be better buying a 24v-12v adapter for the truck.

I thought it was recommended earlier in this thread to avoid the cheaper models that there not half as good quality wise? Or did I avoid getting it for all the wrong reasons :P

• Advertisement

I thought it was recommended earlier in this thread to avoid the cheaper models that there not half as good quality wise? Or did I avoid getting it for all the wrong reasons :P

What? You DIDN'T buy a cheap one?

"Not that keen on my dashcam. Seems to turn off randomly and turn on randomly when the car starts. I turned off the motion detect but it wasn't very good - driving on back roads and it would stop recording. Battery lasts around a half an hour. Suction cup is chunky."

Are you sure about that Sully?

What? You DIDN'T buy a cheap one?

"Not that keen on my dashcam. Seems to turn off randomly and turn on randomly when the car starts. I turned off the motion detect but it wasn't very good - driving on back roads and it would stop recording. Battery lasts around a half an hour. Suction cup is chunky."

Are you sure about that Sully?

They replaced it for me, but I originally paid €85! There were cheaper models but people recommended the Smart Cam 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Hi guys
    I was looking at getting a dash cam for entertainment and security. I was looking at the smart cam 2 on amazon for £85. Anyone have one? Whats the battery like? How much video could I fit on a 32GB SD card?

Lastly Im asking for a favour. If anyone has a dash cam similar or a good one could you upload a picture of what it looks like in your car. Wires from cigarette lighter and does it cause a distraction?

Also it'd be great if someone could link me to a video of the camera being used on Irish roads if you have uploaded a video using Smart Cam 2 onto the "Dash Cam saves your ass" Thread.

Cheers.

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I was looking at getting a dash cam for entertainment and security. I was looking at the smart cam 2 on amazon for £85. Anyone have one?
    Yes.
    Whats the battery like?
    I never used a batter really. I have it setup that it starts when I start ignition and shuts down when I shut down ignition. (it has maybe 10 seconds delay, so last 10 seconds after I turn off the ignition, camera works on battery)
    How much video could I fit on a 32GB SD card?
    In 720p about 4 hours.
    In Full HD 1080i AFAIR about 2.5 hours, but you need a really proper class 10 sd card for that.
    Lastly Im asking for a favour. If anyone has a dash cam similar or a good one could you upload a picture of what it looks like in your car. Wires from cigarette lighter and does it cause a distraction?

Pictures of rather poor quality as I just took them with used old camera and it's quite dark.
    I've got it plugged in the centre console box where I have extra socket. Wire goes from it outside downwards then it's hidden under central console, under passenger glovebox, then under rubber seal, then it's visible in one spot as on pic, and then it is hidden above the windscreen to go down to the camera.

255229.JPG

255228.JPG

255227.JPG

255226.JPG

Also it'd be great if someone could link me to a video of the camera being used on Irish roads if you have uploaded a video using Smart Cam 2 onto the "Dash Cam saves your ass" Thread.

Here's 3 random videos (only one on Irish roads) but one shows running at night with street lighting at quite bad weather conditions (bit foggy, wet surface, etc). Make sure you switch quality to 720p. They were recorded only with 720p, as I find 1080i useless. It uses more data, but doesn't improve quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf27nbyFqC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcrTpYXkk-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0xuzUEc5I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Jesus! Couldn't have asked for more. Thank you so much!

Edit: going to take a while to process my way through all that! cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

A good source of info/reviews:dashcamtalk.com

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 oreilly1979

Hi,

i'm finalising my grand plan to install a dash cam but I went out and held up an object which I thought was about the same size and it looked fairly large up there behind the middle mirror... Maybe i'm wrong but with the holder i don't think that it'd fit behind the mirror at all..

The one I was thinking of was the: Prestigio Road Runner HD1 Car Digital Video Recorder for sale on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prestigio-Road-Runner-Digital-Recorder/dp/B006257O7Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I'm sure that its different for different cars but this is an old golf and there doesn't seem to be much hiding room around the middle mirror.

Was also trying to find a more compact one but video quality vrs size & the better ones all seem to have that screen which makes them bigger too..

Thanks for any replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thats the problem with dashcams, they need to be discreet so as not to be noticeable to outsiders when driving and also easy to take down when the car is parked in a public place. You need to choose a smaller dashcam with a small suction cup.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I use a roadhawk and I leave it on the windscreen all the time. Is a fairly small unit, but I have it up behind the mirror, so its noticeable, unless someone goes looking at the top. Most people, if they are going to rob something from the car, look in the side windows, as oppose to the top of the windscreen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This is the one I have (not my pic but you get the idea) Itronics ITB100HD: http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9389/20121210124946.jpg

I don't know why none of them have made a mirror replacement model or at least a mirror encasement which you can slot the cam into to disguise it as a regular mirror.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement