Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV's with DVB-T2 (DTT) AND Satellite Tuners

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I agree that an early 2010 launch is likely. It would be a big push if RTE offered an HD varient of RTE1 or even a complete HD service like the BBC HD - some RTE1, and some RTE2, depending on HD availability. It would also allow a little time shift. I do not know how much HD kit RTE has, but HD is where the action is, so much of their production must be in HD if only to sell it overseas.

DVB-T2 is not likely, but it is possible that Onevision could purchase such STBs so that a later switch is possible. 30% extra capacity could be welcome if it were to take off, and if they do not belieive it will take off, they would walk away now.

Here's hoping for a March launch.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I agree that an early 2010 launch is likely. It would be a big push if RTE offered an HD varient of RTE1 or even a complete HD service like the BBC HD - some RTE1, and some RTE2, depending on HD availability.

They always left themselves the option within the minimum spec

http://www.rtenl.ie/downloads/RTE-FTA-DTT-Receiver-Spec.pdf
    This document specifies the minimum receiver (technical) requirements for reception of standard definition television (SDTV) services, high definition television (HDTV) services, and ancillary data services, from the free-to-air (FTA) digital terrestrial television (DTT) transmission network in Ireland.

specifically "Service 3"
    Service 3 (HDTV); MPEG4 AVC HP@L4 HDTV video, HE.AAC multi-channel audio, DVB Subtitling and MHEG5 “superteletext”

so as long as there isn't some 'awkward flag' in the Freeview HD spec it should eb cool, the UK Freeview HD spec cannot be downloaded to check :(

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=3294
    DVB-T2 is not likely, but it is possible that Onevision could purchase such STBs so that a later switch is possible. 30% extra capacity could be welcome if it were to take off, and if they do not belieive it will take off, they would walk away now.

Here's hoping for a March launch.:D

Here is hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

cnocbui wrote: »
    Why would anyone think that there is even the faintest chance of T2 deployment if the cost of deploying T1 is so horrendous it wont be implemented even a year after it was supposed to have been? I would think there is a very good chance we still wont even have T1 even two years from now, given the total shambles that has transpired.

The difference between T1 and T2 at the transmitter is a simple and inexpensive 19"x1.5" rackmounted box with 'computer chips' inside.
    All the expensive parts - the mast, the antennas, the UHF power amps. can in almost all cases be 100% reused going from T1 to T2.

But the operational costs will be very much lower.

3 DVB-T muxes will carry 3x24.1 Mbps = 72 Mbps.

2 DVB-T2 muxes will carry 2x40.2 Mbps = 80 Mbps = +11%

So DVB-T2 could provides 11 % more capacity and save 33% of the power and of most other costs. The cost of maintaining the TXmast itself will of cause remain unchanged.

Lars :)

PS! "It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings"

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I also think it is better to get a DBV-T2 boxes as even the transmission is not just ready for T2, whenever it will change over to DVB-T2 format, the boxes are already there so the viewer does not need to go out and buy another kit.

DVB-T2 is not likely, but it is possible that Onevision could purchase such STBs so that a later switch is possible. 3 0 % extra capacity could be welcome if it were to take off,

Now STOP this nonsense about 3 0 % extra .

In UK and Ireland DTT will - post-DSO - be using
    1.  DVB-T   64-QAM   24.13 Mbps   or
    2.  DVB-T2 256-QAM   40.21 Mbps

(40.21 - 24.13)*100% / 24.13 = 66.6% extra capacity. This is the only relevant value to quote for a full power UK/ROI(MFN) DTT multiplex.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

reslfj wrote: »
    Now STOP this nonsense about 3 0 % extra .

In UK and Ireland DTT will - post-DSO - be using
    1.  DVB-T   64-QAM   24.13 Mbps   or
    2.  DVB-T2 256-QAM   40.21 Mbps

(40.21 - 24.13)*100% / 24.13 = 66.6% extra capacity. This is the only relevant value to quote for a full power UK/ROI(MFN) DTT multiplex.

OK, I am not up to speed on the difference, but extra capacity would be very welcome to a commercial enterprise, as more channels equals more money. And that is what they are all about. If T2 boxes are specified by Onevision (oe whoever) they can start with one Mux and convert as they require, and allow RTE to piggyback. The FTA-only boxes would be T1 and very cheap, as they are existing technology and would not need to be equipped with cams.

Roll on Roll out.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

slegs wrote: »
    Depends on where you are. If in Dublin then a coat hanger or rabbits ears may be enough :)

This should be enough to get the free to air terresterial stuff?
    • Integrated freesat tuner – watch free-to-air HD and SD satellite broadcasts without the need for an additional set top box
    • Watch digital TV with the integrated standard definition digital terrestrial tuner (MPEG-2, also receives analogue)
    • Watch cable TV with the integrated digital cable tuner (subject to country and with supported operators only

I was thinking of going to Maplins, to buy something discreet, has anyone bought something they would recommend from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

The LG32 mentioned in many posts here could not be got in the last two weeks.Power City website claimed they had three in the Tallaght store only,next day said they were gone:(

Also a trader who posts here(N Ireland )said he could sell as many of them as he could stock,but had none and said he "heard they were discontinued,but might relaunch in the new year"

The Specs are/were TOO good for the price.
    It will proably 'relaunch' in the new year but at a much higher price,It was too good to last:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

I know, I know, I was the one who started this thread but I may need to rethink things. If I run my Satellite cable directly into my TV, then I'm obviously going to need another feed from my dish to support an STB connected to my DVD Recorder.

Is there any box / gadget which will run two LNB feeds down one cable. I obviously need to links in case one channel needs to view a H channel and the other a V channel - or am I wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

I don't think we can see a launch in April, May 2010.

First of all you have the marketing lead in time. It takes time to draw up a marketing campaign & produce it for media, to buy airtime across media and to negotiate with channels and to order the required number of set top boxes which must be pay TV compliant which presumably Freeview HD boxes made will not be (not sure on the last bit there).

Also the consortium has to register as a company, notify to the Competition Authority presumably and get approval etc late March.

I would say we're talking website creation within just before contracts signed, September announcement its coming shortly, TV programmes about DTT, RTÉ, TV3 etc with retailers being stocked up in October co-inciding with marketing blitz end of October that its coming, with launch in November 1st for the lead into Christmas. That's two years ASO time! presuming end of 2012 is now decided, or a year if you count that start of 2012. I guess that's why One Vision were concerned about the Government supporting financially the ASO.

My own view on ASO is that we should co-time switch exactly the time Northern Ireland do, and agree a joint marketing campaign and budget with Digital UK so that everyone knows the situation. That's better for viewers across the island, its simple. It makes life easier if we all go for DVB-T2 for border viewers etc.

I wonder is their any gain for One Vision do a deal with Top-up TV for the Northern Ireland market for upgrading a 2nd mux there for T2? and do its operations up North aswell? Probably too much to take on for the number of viewers sign-up able. Presumably Top up TV will benefit from One Vision DTT boxes, especially if they're T2 boxes. It will help drive down costs. However switchover of more muxes in the UK doesn't coincide for Top-up TV. Having said that, I guess to have HD channels, Top up TV will have to go for T2 boxes with Freeview HD then part of their offering so that could help drive down costs for One Vision just a little on the stb. That would future proof Top-up TV for when the next Mux is switched to T2 and it gets more capacity.

Given the energy savings and capacity improvements, having RTÉ NL upgrade masts with the T2 kit also makes sense as Lars points out. Ongoing cost of operations savings are what its all about and you can bet Arquiva are aware of that. There's enough time for RTÉ NL to do it under the timeline I'm talking about. If it can be done quicker ie in 3 months then of course you're talking about end May in time for the World Cup but that would be lightening fast and not much time for everything to settle in.

scath wrote: »
    My own view on ASO is that we should co-time switch exactly the time Northern Ireland do, and agree a joint marketing campaign and budget with Digital UK so that everyone knows the situation. That's better for viewers across the island, its simple. It makes life easier if we all go for DVB-T2 for border viewers etc.

Certainly would make huge sense to piggyback onto UK NI Campaign and have a whole Island of Ireland switchoff at the end of 2012. I think we all except that the Irish service will certainly start with DVB-T1 channels (and will then possibly add T2 ones as they go along), it would be very interesting to know at this point as to how many households would already be able to receive T1 transmissions ?

I don't think we can see a launch in April, May 2010.

First of all you have the marketing lead in time. It takes time to draw up a marketing campaign & produce it for media, ........

Look, they have it all working now. They just need to tell everyone, including those in the TV trade. Identify the STB, and away they go. Tell everyone that the analogue goes off in 1st Jan 2011, and switch off the analogue one channel at a time. There is no quicker way of changing over than sitching off the old one. When my telly broke down, I went out and bought a new one, that day. If it has to be, the it has to be. People currently pay $ky and UPC upto €65 euros a month, the STB would be less than that as a single payment.

The ESB could distribute the new STBs if they were cheap enough, they used to do cookers. Or maybe Eircom could leave them on the doorsteps like they do with the Yellow Pages.:D

There is no money for a big campaign, but word of mouth, and telling people through the tranmitters that it will soon be switched off is cheaper and more effective.

Look, they have it all working now.
    Yea at the network end. But the whole company formation, channel line-up negotiations with broadcasters will take at least a month or two. Set top boxes will take longer, to have sufficient quantity available from a variety of manufacturers (DVb-T1) MPEG4 boxes and TVs are only becoming more widely available here with DVB-T2 boxes on a few months behind given the UK market is skipping our intermediate spec and feeds the ROI TV market.
    They just need to tell everyone, including those in the TV trade.
    And how do you do that? I agree there are cheap ways to do this, such as news programmes like Prime Time etc. use of libraries, colleges with posters, Newspaper free CD explanation. But ultimately rather than just informing, as in the case of FTA DTT, you have to have a marketing campaign to attract subscribers to the pay DTT end, simple as. You have to set your stall and sell. Even Freeview do a little of that. That takes afew months from inviting pitches to selecting one, to booking airtime. You also have to put in place customer service teams etc... for the marketing and stb ends.

All that will simply take at least 3 months and maybe more. That's not to say it can't be done. But its alot of rushing. That's not to say they can't achieve launch by June. It just means rushing. So yes its possible, but of course if OneVision don't sign then you're definitely talking Christmas or Paddy's Day 2011.

I just have a feeling that One Vision may go with T2 boxes & seek transmitters upgrade to T2. Of course they mighn't & who knows they may not have been in a rush, striking for the best deal they could get, also aware of the T2 situation stb timeline before now, also seeking direction from their new parent towards DTT. Now its an option for them pre-launch. I think if the security bond is overcome & I think it might be, then you'll have launch. You could even see RTÉ NL invited to place a nominal shareholding in the project.
    Tell everyone that the analogue goes off in 1st Jan 2011, and switch off the analogue one channel at a time. There is no quicker way of changing over than sitching off the old one. When my telly broke down, I went out and bought a new one, that day. If it has to be, the it has to be. People currently pay $ky and UPC upto €65 euros a month, the STB would be less than that as a single payment.

I agree as most know, like the Euro changeover, that the quickest way to increase subcribers to One Vision and save costs on broadcasting simultaneous analogue and digital is brief switchover. But this is a 'political decision' (Broadcating Act 2009), Minister has power here, ultimately and the Government will want to be seen to give people time to switchover. Ultimately it makes sense for us to co-time switchover with NI. That is something I think the BBC will be keen for. They're also keen for us to adopt DVB-T2 from their input in my dissertation about that as it simplifies matters.

One could switchover on dates according to transmitter over the 2 years, mirroring the UK set-up. That would be expensive method, as would rely on local papers which some don't read and be prolonged advertising, potential for confusion as to where you get signals from.

The big bang is cheaper, to inform just turn them off first at Donnybrook, then decomission the analogue setup.

The thing is that the Analogue Switchover Group was only recently formed presumably once negotiations were at an advanced sate in the BAI licensee signed off. RTÉ being in the 3rd consortium would obviously speed things up.

At which point then stakeholders will be invited. At the moment, its only to advise the Minister internal department group, its not a stakeholders panel which probably explains http://www.tvaccess.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88:dttprogress&catid=45:digital-terrestrial-television-articles&Itemid=65

One Vision not to have clarity about approach from the Government beyond 'sometime in 2012'. I suspect that once there's a DTT sign-off that that will start in earnest.

I suspect they'll go with a big bang similar to NI. Ideally if we could get NI to bring forward to switchover to the same time as us, it would be great and that means that January 1st 2012 is do-able. 1 year is enough. You have to give people time.
    The ESB could distribute the new STBs if they were cheap enough, they used to do cookers. Or maybe Eircom could leave them on the doorsteps like they do with the Yellow Pages.:D
    :D I think yer being humourous there hahahaha...ESB are out of that a few years now, with no appetite presumably to get back into it. As ror Eircom, I think they'll look to sell the set top box through retailers rather than offer them for free to every household with their Eircom Phonebook. BTW, Yellowpages is owned by Truvo I think, not Eircom I think,anymore see: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/836427m-profit-for-golden-pages-producer-1727852.html
    There is no money for a big campaign, but word of mouth, and telling people through the tranmitters that it will soon be switched off is cheaper and more effective.
    You'll find that there is money for a campaign. Any company launching a commercial product has to have one.

The problem about telling people through the transmitters could scare the bejasus out of some people. That solution is more suited to ASO, which is used in UK. I've advocated word of mouth to as in Town Hall type meetings I call them travelling roadshows in universities, chambers of commerce, etc with demos and information on nearest retailer. Definitely and internet are the cost effective methods. But Newspapers and TV and probably radio have to be used aswell. But it doesn't need to be a big campaign. More a sustained one. And its not a complicated proposition.

For example: UK is going digital as is Europe, satellite has gone digital, cable is undergoing digital presently.
    terrestrial (transmission to aerial) in RO Ireland is finally going digital

Why? More radiowave capacity=more channel capacity 4*8 or 10 but less radiowave required needed
    More services available and integration with internet
    Better viewing expericence
    Greater choice
    Home regulated service, Irish jobs, more channels from Irish broadcasters
    3rd Force competition for Pay TV- One Vision

Simple enough!

The big bang is cheaper, to inform just turn them off first at Donnybrook, then decomission the analogue setup.

The problem about telling people through the transmitters could scare the bejasus out of some people. That solution is more suited to ASO, which is used in UK. I've advocated word of mouth to as in Town Hall type meetings I call them travelling roadshows in universities, chambers of commerce, etc with demos and information on nearest retailer. Definitely and internet are the cost effective methods. But Newspapers and TV and probably radio have to be used aswell. But it doesn't need to be a big campaign. More a sustained one. And its not a complicated proposition.

The job of telling people about payTV is one for Onevision. The Government just needs to cope with those who cannot afford the STB. The STB will not work with TVs older than SCART, so that is a problem that needs a solution. However, we are only talking about the 20% or so who do not have 'other channels' through a payed subscription or FTA satellite. Overspill will probably be aware of the switchover and will already have gone DTT or plan to go soon.

The Government usually do little planning for such a switchover, and letting the commercial bodies pick up the job. If the NRA build a motorway, we do not need a miniter to cut the ribbon before it is used. [Unless you own a corner shop near the M9 and have the ear of the minister and need the business before Christmas!]

Just let it launch by having it on the news, just as they did with DAB. A new channel or two would boost take up no end, particularly RTE HD.

People will be quick to get it if it catches on. And it will. The trade will see to that.

Well that's what I was meaning. That's it, no doubt RTÉ & TV3 helping out. But they have to watch this one or they'll have UPC and Sky on their back crying fowl unless they charge for ads, which they would. But also Sound & Vision Fund can be used for this aswell. Prime Time would do alot of explaining, followed up by a check uptake every month just to keep it in the public eye.

RF cable is usually an option on stb's. The main job will be picking up the tab for those on social welfare or pensioners. This is the part the Government could do without, but they'll have to pick up part or all of that cost.

I know what you're saying, the dept can go the cheap way. But is that informing people properly? On a TV ad will do that. I suspect they'll have to pay for airtime etc as they did with Change.ie promoting the website, basic explanation like i said. I suggest Séana Squirrel as the digital Mascot!!

With competitors. In my view One Vision should consider offering the monthly and weekly Top-Up options which would be more expensive than annual subscriptions. I'll say it again, USB sticks, and also offer the channels from One Vision's website via online aswell. My One Vision broadband TV! as Boxer Sweden have started doing over the last year, cos TV is heading towards broadband!

Well ya know how things are done here lol. Easy going, informally, oh...we better do something, quick, a news conference, that'll do hehehe.

I know its not funny but that's the way we often do things. Well I looked at how the UK & others did it and did dissertation on it and that's with them gratis.

The point is that TV is considered bigger business than TV. Prime Time would be more prominent than the News. A programme devoted to it across all TV channels would be the way to go including Sky.

I think you'll see One Vision as the main ones pushing it. I'll be interested to see how much the Dept put into it there at, just at the start for a few days and then towards the ASO end.

It can be very quick, along lines points I suggested, and the website

http://www.digitaltelevision.ie.

I think to show balance they're going to have to add links to Sky and UPC aswell or they'll get criticism for promoting one platform over others.

I think really that website will need to be jigged up about all providers.

I know what you're saying, the dept can go the cheap way. But is that informing people properly? On a TV ad will do that. I suspect they'll have to pay for airtime etc as they did with Change.ie promoting the website, basic explanation like i said. I suggest Séana Squirrel as the digital Mascot!!

Well ya know how things are done here lol. Easy going, informally, oh...we better do something, quick, a news conference, that'll do hehehe.

I know its not funny but that's the way we often do things. Well I looked at how the UK & others did it and did dissertation on it and that's with them gratis.

I think to show balance they're going to have to add links to Sky and UPC aswell or they'll get criticism for promoting one platform over others.

I think really that website will need to be jigged up about all providers.

This is not a new platform for the FTA, it is just goimn Digtal. A STB converter is just converting. Our phones went digital without a fuss. As far as ASO is concerned, and the Government for that matter, is that all people in the state can get FTA TV. The STB for that could be very basic, and so very cheap. Onevision [or whoever] must look after themselves. It is not the Government's business to promote paytv, nor the BAI's.

If Onevision do not sign up now, RTE and RTENL should just announce that the test are over, and it is now a service for those in the coverage areas; and the STB recommended is ......, but any MPEG4/MHEG5 unit will work. Your retailer will advise you. Or words to that effect. Also you have 12 months to get one.

This is the cheap option, and the quick option. Why the delay? Why spend money we have not got, doing something we can do for next to nothing? We are not changing from driving on the left to driving on the right. We are not closing the hospitals. We are not sacking all RTE star performers. We are just getting rid of old technology. There was no fuss when the MW transmitter was turned off. No marches in the street. No protest from pensioners with their Athlone/Hilversum/Luxemburg valve radios that no longer have anything to receive. No one noticed.

The FTA start-up/changeover should go ahead as soon as Onevision decides, whichever way they go. And there is a nice touch to have the main transmitters turned off on 1st Jan 2011, 50 years after they started.

$ky and NTL have nothing to do with FTA terrestial broadcasting. They are just competitors to the payTV side.

It is all there, just start the service by a little announcement in the Personal Collum in the Irish Times. That is all that is needed.:D

No, its not totally all about getting people to have FTA TV. If it was RTÉ would have been given an earlier launch date.

Instead it has been Dept policy over the last few years that it would be combination of both that is best for DTT. That makes sense and what the UK doesn't. But then a Top-up TV type service didn't succeed in getting the license which was lost to Freeview TV. It arrived 2 years later.

.With that in mind, of getting best return on investment Having FTA DTT go ahead of Pay DTT as we see in the UK undermines the potential of pay DTT. If you look at the answer of the Minister to TV Access he takes advice from RTÉ on the matter. RTÉ has to run as much as business as it can to not lose money. See: http://www.tvaccess.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88:dttprogress&catid=45:digital-terrestrial-television-articles&Itemid=65

For DTT to pay its investment back to RTÉ, it needs Pay DTT rental payments to pay back its sunk investment. That's the reality. RTÉ hasn't got any Rupert Murdoch behind it.

Otherwise RTÉ might be aswell throwing its lot in with broadband providers and just switching of the ATT network full stop insisting on cable and satellite and broadband.

That's the reason that has been stated and restated by RTÉ on a few occasions over the last year. And I understand that. Its business versus enthusiast. Its a business. RTÉ NL are part of Easy TV so they may well see that as their next option and would be in a position having gone through 2 consortia already what is needed. RTÉ have to launch anyways commercially so why not doing it with UPC. And if not with UPC, I suspect Sky would be more than happy to step in in UPC's place and see can it expand its subscriber base, driving a hard bargain with the BAI as the remaining hope for DTT!

So I think this is happening with Pay DTT, simply because RTÉ require it to make back the suck investment in DTT.

What you're talking about is a Freeview model and of course it could be done on the cheap but newspapers isn't enough and one programme on TV. It has to be advertised.

Also Freeview would depend on getting enough Free to Air channels on DTT. That might be possible with UK Channels joining. Would they pay to join and make it back in advertising? I don't know, and with cable it works the other way.

I suspect launch will be in Summer/Autumn if One Vision sign and Paddy's Day if they don't and giving people 6 months is abit tight. People need a year, from early adopters to slow coaches. I know what you're saying, it could be done in 6months, it probably could. And there'd be benefits in that but really ideally its better to co-time with NI on it though we could witch ourselves too.

But, indications are good from One Vision's recent shareholding changes if you also read:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...261300612.html bodes well for DTT, doesn't it! No surprise about the increased stake. Makes sign-off quite likely now.

John Collins writes in Irish Times: 'SINGAPORE-BASED STT has indicated to the Communications Regulator that it will invest in Eircom’s network infrastructure when it acquires the business and that it intends to stay in Ireland for the long term....“From our discussions with them they are looking at Eircom like it’s a telco and not an ATM,” said John Doherty, chairman of ComReg told The Irish Times '

It seems its prepared to invest money. So I think indications are good. Am just surprised Sky aren't taking a stake in the operation. But hey, they may be happy enough not to create more competition for themselves. Anyways, pay DTT is win win for Sky whether or not they're directly involved. More advertising reach and for sub channels wholesale royalty payment per subscriber to them.

Scath:

We differ in the approach to the marketing of the DTT service. If it is up nad running FTA, then tat will concentrate the minds of the commercial operator. It will be publicised by the same approach as any Free alternative does, people talk about it and recommend it to their friends and family. When the TV retailers get involved, they will advertise their competing products and their services. They may even give Freesat a plug while they are at it.

If the commercial side want to get involved, they pay their own advertising. Boxer cost 7 months delay, Onevision has cost 7 months more, and we are still nowhere. Time to move on, and RTE can do it all on their own. The Good Friday agreement negotiations spoke about All Ireland TV, cross border culture, etc. etc. If there is no commercial involvement, the negotiations for that would be different.

I think now is the time to move, we have €50 million already invested with no return and not even a saving of reduced costs to RTE with the analogue turned off. The sale of spectrum released could be a help, if the money went to pay for DTT.

We now have motorways opening ahead of schedule, and below projected cost. Why does DTT have to be the orphan no-one wants to know?

The Minister does not seem to be advised, and is not interested. RTE are keeping thier powder dry, BAI are also playing a waiting game. Why?

Why is it so secret?

The Gov may only be duty bound to assist those who pay the TV Licence - now that would be interesting too see how many people are still on old B&W TV's !!!

I believe Scart sockets have been on TV's for the last 20 years or so. I doubt there are very many TV's in use around the country of over 20 years old.

I think the Gov's obligation is to make the National Channels (RTE1 & 2 and Radio Channels) available to all citizens so these could always be done via T1 with maybe could be backed up by T2 Based HD services (along with Commercial operators' channels)

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    The Gov may only be duty bound to assist those who pay the TV Licence - now that would be interesting too see how many people are still on old B&W TV's !!!

I believe Scart sockets have been on TV's for the last 20 years or so. I doubt there are very many TV's in use around the country of over 20 years old.

I think the Gov's obligation is to make the National Channels (RTE1 & 2 and Radio Channels) available to all citizens so these could always be done via T1 with maybe could be backed up by T2 Based HD services (along with Commercial operators' channels)

The Government can only afford to help the banks. It is upto the viewer to provide the equipment. The most that could be expected is to help those on welfare, but a STB could be subsidised by a small premium on all STB to pay for those needy poor souls who cannot afford them. Most people will be getting their TV from a subscription service anyway.

The main problem is explaining what is needed, so the ripoff merchants do not make a killing. I have had a few $ky salespeople trying to explain how I have to get $ky as they will turn off the analogue TV soon.

Most people do not even know what DTT is, or that it is available now. [As a test, not a service!]

Eh Sam, no I totally get what you're saying. The problem is, it doesn't help RTÉ to launch at a seperate time and make the pay DTT business more difficult by people having to swap stb for the pay one etc. Its cheaper to advertise FTA and Pay DTT at the same time, in the one ad. Also its easier to sign people up when they already have a pay DTT compliant box. No swapping involved, no wastage of equipment. RTÉ have to think of the Pay DTT side because if things don't work out for that operation, RTÉ are left with 3 muxes doing nothing and no way to make back their investment.

Its not about so much that what they've spent already. Its the ability to make back that investment. That's why they have to wait until all options are exhausted before going that direction.

I can understand that. I understand they could do Freeview TV promotion cheaply but the problem with that is that alot of people aren't technical, don't know about it, won't bother going into a TV store cos they know little about it and could be liable to being told all sorts of lies as you know regarding the switchover. Word of mouth works to a point, but is liable to wrong information without a proper info campaign.

That's why you need advertising to tell them. And pay DTT can do that for you for smaller cost. You just pool your contribution with theirs.

Launching early won't help RTÉ to make back its investment. Waiting makes more economic sense and pooling promotion with Pay DTT does. I get your impatience, we all feel it.

7 months with Boxer and 7 months again. I think Boxer shouldn't have been let go on so long.

But this was the 1st license negotiation for the BAI of DTT. Also there was an economic crisis happening and it was changing the business case for them so I can understand the BAI giving them time. Boxer i guess made the assessment on the economic environment primarily.

Also the BAI was undergoing new legislation affecting them and they had to prepare for what was in that, digest it.

They're over that so they can give full concentration this time. And unlike with Boxer, they have cracked the whip by saying publicly they need decisions now, recently. I think Boxer talked alot of bluster about their plans being recession proof. But it turned out, that they were not, they cited it as one of their reasons. The security bond was the other. Boxer Sweden in the end got cold feet. Communicorp had more interest but on their own, they hadn't the interest to put so much dosh into it.

For Eircom its a different proposition, its also about complimenting its existing services. Its about broadband drivers. I've tried to push Amigo TV because I think it could encourage broadband for TV via this 'exciting service', you have avatar sales from it and so forth. But its up to TV3 now to seek that be included, who I emailed.

So from the economic point of view waiting is better, though I too am impatient, I accept waiting is best. But I think something is going to happen and a launch will in 2011 for sure. Easy TV can decide quick enough if One Vision don't and if not for UPC, I suspect Sky would be interested. And if not Sky, well I still think RTÉ would do it themselves and do Pay DTT. Freeview TV just doesn't make economic sense for RTÉ. Its different in the UK and I think they should have not branded seperately to Top UP TV. They should go in with that operation and make afew bob, its not best use of the platform in the UK.

Scath:

I think the STB is the key to the launch. If RTE were to say 'There you are - it's now a service!', the first question is 'How do we get it?'

They have not said anything about how you get the now national DAB service they recently launched. Particularly if you live in Mayo or Kerry.

They have the spec published, the STB would be very cheap, of the order of one month for $ky or NTL. If the payTV comes along, then they have to supply the encription kit, so that is their problem. I remember when Princes Holdings started MMDS, their first job was to get the Govrnment to procecute the deflectors, instead of offering a low cost basic start package. They had limited success.

If RTE launched today, the trade would quickly offer product, and it would not take long for people to take it up. Extras would hurry it along, RTE News Now but RTE HD would be a huge incentive if it were only available on DTT. I do not remember much about the launch of TV3, and quite a bit of the country are still waiting for it! People are quick to catch on, look at the internet. Even grannies use it.

Impatient I may be, but I think it is like a completed motorway being left closed while awaiting a decision on how much the toll should be, and how it should be shared out, with both sides refusing to negotiate. A timetable would be a start. BCI should have had that in place before talking to Boxer, let alone talking to Onevision without a deadline.

It is getting to be a long running joke.

I know what yer saying Sam about the stb. But unfortunately it has to be the moterway closed without the toll because once you launch a thing its hard to come after and get subscribers on board. RTÉ have to factor in pay DTT in order to help their return on investment. That's the delay their side. They've done well spending to this point which they could have held up waiting for the pay operator. That we have a service is credit to them. It also makes things very attractive for the pay operator that alot of the country at launch will be covered. Very good really for them.

I do think the BAI went on too long. The good thing now is we have DVB-T2 as an option that wouldn't have been there had things happened sooner. Also Eircom has a new owner. So yea, its gone on a long time but I guess that's done. So I'd be patient with RTÉ on it cos we wouldn't have DTT to watch in tests if RTÉ had delayed their roll out.

But basically they aren't finished testing anyways. People can watch the tests. But they don't want to have too many fta boxes out there because you have to go swapping.Also you're talking about branding and testing. Its cheaper for RTÉ to tie in with One Vision on box certification. Now if people insist on buying FTA boxes from the UK, well they can't stop people. But at least the idea would be if people buy a pay DTT compliant box, they can still use it for FTA DTT, but the point is that subscribing to pay DTT becomes very easy. And that's better for RTÉ return on DTT investment if its good for the one that's paying rental costs. I guess I'm sympathetic to RTÉ trying to be as cost effective as possible on this and delaying. I feel TV stars are overpaid but I guess they're doing that to avoid having them go across the water to England. But still I think there would always be takers here more than happy to fill their places. So I think they are paid too much.

Again they'd have to advertise the fact in some way. Its cheaper to promote at same time as pay DTT. Goes back to what I side. Cheaper to launch at same time on pay DTT box. Yes encryption adds cost to viewer but their primary concern is to make back the DTT investment. After that cost of stb and government comes in there also.

Until DAB coverage is extended I don't expect them to promote it. I suspect they want to get DTT going first, then with the rental on that they can expand DAB. I'd guess that's the thinking.

DAB won't gain traction til it is promoted properly. You can see that. How many people know about it? DAB stations on DTT will be a big help there to advertise the fact. I suspect they'll combine Digital Radio and DTT in the ads with One Vision campaign.

Also analogue radio needs a switch-off in order to drag commercial radio onto it here. Commercial radio has concerns about too many competitors savaging each other on the more spacious DAB network. That's where I think BAI will have to set a limit on number of stations given that we have more spectrum than population can sustain for radio. I guess if the BAI are too allow more then they need to reduce license costs or else limit the number of stations. One or the other. They have to be sympathetic to the business also.

Also I feel radio can grow its base by radio stations getting into DTT aswell as simulcast radio-tv stations. A TV camera in the radio studios like Morning Ireland do on RTÉ1. You could even offer basic TV ads simulcast on radio shown full screen on the TV. Of course more spectrum would be required on DTT. That's the difficulty, the cost, they'd need a TV broadcasting license then, which would argue the return on investment. However that's the way I see Local TV starting, simulcasting radio and TV bar afew TV programmes.

Another option is a TV channel that shows 1 show from a programme from each radio station in the country. You could call in Local TV. Local stations broadcasting nationally on DTT could be very popular. Also DAB could allow local stations to broadcast nationally too.

I think if you see local stations on DAB broadcasting nationally, that it will give the national TV stations a kick up the bum. National stations don't cover enough local issues, and cover too much Dublin centric national stuff. County Councils for instance when water is cut off due to reservoir shortages should be contacting national stations and TV and it should get aired.

DTT as great potential in this area to inform via teletext.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

T-Square wrote: »
    • Integrated freesat tuner – watch free-to-air HD and SD satellite broadcasts without the need for an additional set top box
    • Watch digital TV with the integrated standard definition digital terrestrial tuner (MPEG-2, also receives analogue)
    • Watch cable TV with the integrated digital cable tuner (subject to country and with supported operators only

I was thinking of going to Maplins, to buy something discreet, has anyone bought something they would recommend from them?

Your Sony TV should be capable of displaying the Irish terrestrial stuff and you should not need an extra box. What type of aerial do you currently use to receive TV3 and TG4 on analogue?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Apogee wrote: »
    Your Sony TV should be capable of displaying the Irish terrestrial stuff and you should not need an extra box. What type of aerial do you currently use to receive TV3 and TG4 on analogue?

Just viewing what is on freesat at the moment.
    Not getting TV3 and TG4 at the moment, but my wife has been asking about them, looking for them.
    I have a (encrypted) NTL feed near the TV, if I got the correct coax cable/connector, would I get something from it?
    We were hoping to get some Bulgarian stuff from the free sat but am getting nothing, the dish was previously used by the sky box. Does it need re pointing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

Just viewing what is on freesat at the moment.
    Not getting TV3 and TG4 at the moment, but my wife has been asking about them, looking for them.
    I have a (encrypted) NTL feed near the TV, if I got the correct coax cable/connector, would I get something from it?

You're unlikely to pick up the terrestrial channels from the NTL coax. If you are based near Dublin, then a set of rabbit ears antenna is worth testing.
    We were hoping to get some Bulgarian stuff from the free sat but am getting nothing, the dish was previously used by the sky box. Does it need re pointing?

There is a non-Freesat mode in the Sonys AFAIK which would allow you to tuner in foreign channels. However, there are no Bulgarian channels on 28E, so you would need to either move the dish to 19E or 13E, or else install a second LNB with some sort of switch (either manual or Diseqc if the Sony supports it).

Freesat TVs and Freesat receivers are primarily designed for the English material on 28E. Therefore, if you are interested in watching foreign TV, you would be much better advised in getting a cheap free-to-air receiver for that purpose.

It looks like DVB-T2 MPEG4 TVs will be released sooner than some posters were betting when they said later in the year 2nd half of 2010. This is more good news for Irish DTT, because it will mean that future-proof compatible Irish DTT ready TVs will be available ahead of Irish DTT launch and that this Freeview incompatibility will soon go away.

Of course the flip side, is that it may discourage some folks from buying the One Vision STB and instead buy a Irish DTT compatibly TV that provides the FTA DTT channcels. No doubt, there should be CI slot for subscription services. There probably will be some folks that will stick with their current TV. I wonder what has been done by broadcasters regarding the UK Channels, what the view of One Vision is as to whether UK terrestrial channels will be available free-to-air. The likelihood is they will be part of the basic I suppose. But of course, those within the Freeview HD area in Dublin and later NI, when the power is turned up in 2012/13 are likely to not subscribe to these as they will be available free.

See: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2010/01/06/lg-prepping-tons-of-freeview-hd-tvs-115875-21947711/

LG says that with a summer chock full of sport, from Wimbledon to the World Cup, it’s planning on loading up 50 per cent of all its TVs with Freeview HD. That means you won’t need to pay a penny extra to see England crash out in pathetic fashion in South Africa or Andy Murray slink out of the All England Championships early doors.

Freeview HD: Everything you need to know

LG says Freeview HD will land in its LE 8900, LE 7900 and LE 5900 LED TVs, with the LCD LD 790 and LD 690 also playing nice. Plasma fans can grab the PK 590, PK 790 or PK 950. All models will be available in April.

It looks like DVB-T2 MPEG4 TVs will be released sooner than some posters were betting when they said later in the year 2nd half of 2010.

LG says that with a summer chock full of sport, from Wimbledon to the World Cup, it’s planning on loading up 50 per cent of all its TVs with Freeview HD.

Sony too: http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/bravia-lcd-televisions/3/5

and down to 32" models.

Delivery by the end of Q1.

Ref http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1194552

Expect other brands to announce very soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

It looks like DVB-T2 MPEG4 TVs will be released sooner than some posters were betting when they said later in the year 2nd half of 2010. This is more good news for Irish DTT, because it will mean that future-proof compatible Irish DTT ready TVs will be available ahead of Irish DTT launch and that this Freeview incompatibility will soon go away.

Of course the flip side, is that it may discourage some folks from buying the One Vision STB and instead buy a Irish DTT compatibly TV that provides the FTA DTT channcels. No doubt, there should be CI slot for subscription services. There probably will be some folks that will stick with their current TV. I wonder what has been done by broadcasters regarding the UK Channels, what the view of One Vision is as to whether UK terrestrial channels will be available free-to-air. The likelihood is they will be part of the basic I suppose. But of course, those within the Freeview HD area in Dublin and later NI, when the power is turned up in 2012/13 are likely to not subscribe to these as they will be available free.

See: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2010/01/06/lg-prepping-tons-of-freeview-hd-tvs-115875-21947711/

LG says that with a summer chock full of sport, from Wimbledon to the World Cup, it’s planning on loading up 50 per cent of all its TVs with Freeview HD. That means you won’t need to pay a penny extra to see England crash out in pathetic fashion in South Africa or Andy Murray slink out of the All England Championships early doors.

Freeview HD: Everything you need to know

LG says Freeview HD will land in its LE 8900, LE 7900 and LE 5900 LED TVs, with the LCD LD 790 and LD 690 also playing nice. Plasma fans can grab the PK 590, PK 790 or PK 950. All models will be available in April.

I dont think anybody has suggested that DVB-T2 equipment wont become available quickly. The point I was making was that manufacturers are not going to instantly switch over to DVB-T2 on all new models. That will take some time. Also likely that the DVB-T2 models will be the higher end models and therefore more expensive. In any case DVb-T2 is irrelevant for most of the country. As long as its DVb-T/MPEG4 as a minimum that will do the mojority of people.

That said the more MPEG4 TVs out there the better for Irish DTT.

Advertisement