Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossbows.....

• 17-10-2007 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

does anybody out there know what sort of hoops you have to jump through to get a crossbow??? i asked my local sgt and he said that i would need a good reason.....
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This thread's better off in the Archery forum methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Sparks wrote: »

Disagree there Sparks, crossbow is subject to a firearms certificate and lets face it, it has a closer relationship to target shooting then archery imho? I stand to be corrected however by the yeomen.

I don't think Archery is restricted to longbow shooting sidney :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's a form of archery, but almost unheard of in Ireland due to the aforementioned difficulty in getting a firearms cert for one.

Hm. Figured it was a bit more popular than that (I know a chap who is or was the national champion in 10m crossbow).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,980 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hm. Figured it was a bit more popular than that (I know a chap who is or was the national champion in 10m crossbow).
    10m crossbow, wow that thing must be huge, hard to hold stedy I imagine, ;):);)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

The Irish Crossbow team were the world champs far as I know! However, I think they might be the only crossbow shooters in the country. The gear is pretty difficult to get and to get trained up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

If the crossbow is not for competition use there is not much i think you can do, you are not able to hunt with a crossbow in Ireland, so no real legitimate reason to own on in the eyes of the law. They are controlled using licences for the same reasons as a gun, they can be carried loaded.

If it is for competition then the Irish Amateur Archery Association also includes the CCNE, these are the competition crossbow association their details can be found here : IAAA Contacts
    If you contact them they can guide you through the steps to aquiring a licence and which crossbow would best suit competition shooting... (they aren't cheap!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

They ran a experimental beginner course a while back. Between asking the guys running it and the the local guards the procedure is roughly as follows. There isn't much legislation governing crossbows other than you have to have a licence for it. It depends on who you talk to.

Before you can get the crossbow you have to be a member of a crossbow club (the only one I know is sports link in Santry). You then have to apply for the licence which is about 25 Eur and when you are okayed and get it you can then buy the crossbow. You have to get it shipped to a garda holding location until they can verify it comes from a legitimate source.

The competition crossbows are about 1500 to 2500 eur new and a second hand one is about 1000 Eur. I don't think they will accept you into the club with a pistol crossbow only the competition ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭sgtdiesalot

if you have a rifle licence you can get a crossbow, its the same licence you need for a rifle or pump action shotgun or now hand gun (hand gun you apply for an add on {and if u think its difficult to get a licence for a rifle or shotgun u should see the hoops you have to jump through to get it) they are difficult to get unless u are part of a club but saying that it can be done unless rules have changed. only other people that get licences for cross bows are historian buffs that reinact medievil battles. they pack some punish and will go clean through a car door at 20-30 m. only bit of advice i can really give is make sure u have a good relationship with you're local garda as he/she is the one that decides really if u can apply to have one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

if you have a rifle licence you can get a crossbow, its the same licence you need for a rifle or pump action shotgun or now hand gun (hand gun you apply for an add on {and if u think its difficult to get a licence for a rifle or shotgun u should see the hoops you have to jump through to get it) they are difficult to get unless u are part of a club but saying that it can be done unless rules have changed. only other people that get licences for cross bows are historian buffs that reinact medievil battles. they pack some punish and will go clean through a car door at 20-30 m. only bit of advice i can really give is make sure u have a good relationship with you're local garda as he/she is the one that decides really if u can apply to have one

It is the same as a rifle or pistol license in essence. An individual certificate is required for each firearm and thus a reason required for each firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Blk150

Would these croosbows kill a man?:eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Blk150 wrote: »

Yes! maybe even a llama!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A child's bow could kill a man. Safety first!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Kat1170

No. People kill people. A crossbow will sit quitely in a corner harming no-one/nothing until it is picked up by some eejit, then and only then is it dangerous. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

like sgtdicalot said, they come under the same law as a rifle of shotgun which is the Firearms acts, 1925 to 2000. so in other words, if you were caught with an illigal one, you could be charged the same if you were found in possesion with a handgun or unlicenced firearm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Rayne Obedient Pedal

Kat1170 wrote: »
    No. People kill people. A crossbow will sit quitely in a corner harming no-one/nothing until it is picked up by some eejit, then and only then is it dangerous. ;)

Have you got proof of that?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Scottish Rob

If you want to get in touch with the crossbow archers in Ireland at the moment then might I suggest Sportslink Archery & Crossbow Club and you can find their details from the clubs page at http://archery.ie ... use this link as it will redirect you to the CURRENT IAAA website

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

just a general note:the strange thing about these laws is that a long bow is prob as dangerious as a hand gun if not more dangerous.. anyway just wrote in to say that a few years ago i used to see people shooting xbows in a field at the the Dundrum end of Bird Ave. Does any body know anything about this club (have no name)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

where to buy a crossbow in ireland? any websites anyone know of?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,980 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In hind sight, you were right, stick with your gut in future sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Nodferatu wrote: »
    where to buy a crossbow in ireland? any websites anyone know of?

you need to have a firearms cert and be a member of a local club before you will be allowed. The local club would also have all the info you need. :)

It's also gotten harder in recent months; you now need a restricted firearms certificate, which means higher security requirements (ie, a gunsafe) and that you have to apply to your Chief Superintendent, not the local Superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jack0106

i could have sworn that i posted on this last night, but cant see it, anyway, whats your opinions on importing crossbow limbs from the U.K??

Advertisement