Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Banning of Trocaire advert

• 07-03-2007 11:38pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else think that the banning of this advert is ridiculous??

I can't get my head around it...

What on earth is wrong with it?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IKhBnazwAV4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

"No advertisement shall be broadcast which is directed towards any religious or political end or which has any relation to an industrial dispute."

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

This is the first I'm hearing of the ban.

http://www.trocaire.ie/news/story.php?id=977

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Pedantic maybe, but not ridiculous. It breaks BCI regulations, therefore banned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I consider it as a shocking interpretation of the law.

I mean how much political crap are we going to get thrown at us through the media in the next few months? And this isn't allowed??

• Advertisement

I mean how much political crap are we going to get thrown at us through the media in the next few months?
    Not a lot in the form of adverts on television or radio,I should imagine.

What about political party broadcasts on tv? How are they allowed?
    You mean one the off broadcasts, as opposed to adverts that are repeated numerous times an hour, let alone a day?

Probably because they aren't covered in the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

So, what part of the ad exactly was political?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

You mean one the off broadcasts, as opposed to adverts that are repeated numerous times an hour, let alone a day?

Probably because they aren't covered in the bill.

I don't know if you've been listening to the radio recently but the amount of airtime that our politicians are getting to push their own agendas is quite substantial and repetitive..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Any ads that seek to change the poltical status quo will fall under it e.g. change of legislation. These rules have applied in Ireland for nearly 20 years.

Having studied the Act quite a bit in postgrad I don't think the political aspect of it will hold up with current ECHR jurisprudence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah, Im with you Edanto, I don't understand what part ad is political. Is inequality politics? I dont know...

equality legislation is politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What about all the previous trocaire campaigns and other ads on telly about economic inequality? I heard an ad on the radio today about racism.

But they're not advertising a particular political party, which could have been the spirit of section 10(3) was about.

On the radio the other day, the Trocaire guy said that one objective of the campaign was to convince the government to implement an agreement that they have already signed up to !!

So, is it fair that an ad asking the government to do what it has already committted to gets censored!?!? That's lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Its offensive to men.

Explain!

I fail to see how publicizing the fact that women are being discriminated against is offensive to men.

edanto wrote:
    But they're not advertising a particular political party
    But they are running a political campaign, with a petition that will go to government, one with a stated aim of being a lobbyist action. Lobbyist actions are political actions.

The advert doesn't explicitly mention the petition, but it is part of the same campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

If you follow the link to the Trocaire site you can sign a petition against banning the ad. I just signed it.

pokerwidow wrote:
    If you follow the link to the Trocaire site you can sign a petition against banning the ad. I just signed it.
    Where? Are you sure it wasn't the equality petition you signed?

• Advertisement

Something's a bit rotten in Ireland if a charity can't run a campaign asking for the Government to draw up viable national action plans that will prevent violence against women and protect them in conflict.

Because it is seen as 'lobbying' yet at the same time people that are rich enough are able to do any 'lobbying' they want at expensive dinners.( Old news story..Fianna Fail has also taken in up to €90,000 in ticket sales for another fundraising dinner in Cork tonight, where the Taoiseach Bertie Ahern will be the guest of honour.)

The law is an ass. Who makes the law again? Oh that's right, the TD's. The people that the ad was giving out about. The ad what was banned by the law made by the people that the ad was giving out about... meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Why are adverts for McDonalds allowed? Or Microsoft, or Nestlé, or just about anything really, allowed.

As the song goes, "Yes it's ****ing political / Everything's political".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

vSounds like silly pedantry. Trocaire always seems to come in for a bashing for some reason. Earlier this week Fat Angry Bastard had an unholy rant about about them in the Indo, and now this. Bad week, guys.

On a slightly more serious note, did any of those babies look girly to you? They didn't look girly to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

Where? Are you sure it wasn't the equality petition you signed?

You're right. I should really read things a bit better before I sign them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Calling for legislative change is a political act.

If we don't prevent lobby groups from purchasing air time on the television we can end up with a situation like they have in the USA with puppet lobby groups such as Swift Boat Veterans for Truth attacking various political agendas at election time.

The fact that many people agree with Trocaire's agenda doesn't mean that the law should not be enforced.

edanto wrote:
    Something's a bit rotten in Ireland if a charity can't run a campaign asking for the Government to draw up viable national action plans that will prevent violence against women and protect them in conflict.

Would it be different if the charity was promoting a graphic anti-abortion campaign?

The premise of the Legislation is to stop the wealthy buying their votes with TV/Radio ads, which are notoriously powerful and expensive. That and no one wants to listen those kind of ads all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,018 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

In my eyes the tv ad isn't directly political, maybe religious, being a lenten thing. is the radio ad any different to the tv ad? Seems a bit harsh to ban the ad, but if the commission think it doesn't comply, i suppose it mustn't. Might actually get trocaire some good indirect advertising if they can get people to complain and create a fuss about the ad being cut.

If we don't prevent lobby groups from purchasing air time on the television we can end up with a situation like they have in the USA with puppet lobby groups such as Swift Boat Veterans for Truth attacking various political agendas at election time.

That's not necessarily true - it's not an all or nothing situation. I'm glad that we don't have those type of pressure groups, but I think there are many steps between our situation and the American one. And some similarities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

edanto wrote:
    That's not necessarily true - it's not an all or nothing situation. I'm glad that we don't have those type of pressure groups, but I think there are many steps between our situation and the American one. And some similarities.

I agree that political campaigns aren't as dirty here but by allowing the ad to air we could be setting a precedent which could later be abused.

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote:
    Would it be different if the charity was promoting a graphic anti-abortion campaign?

Yes, I think it would. But only because you used the word 'graphic'. There would probably be other applicable standards... I'm not really sure what point you're making with that question.
    The premise of the Legislation is to stop the wealthy buying their votes with TV/Radio ads, which are notoriously powerful and expensive. That and no one wants to listen those kind of ads all day.

So, this is just an unintended side effect and it's actually in our best interest not to allow propagandistic ads? Return to your homes. Sports broadcasts will continue as normal...

Advertisement