Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steroids (Was Irish Punch Up)

• 31-01-2007 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭

bugler wrote:
    I think the people who are surprised by the selection at 6 haven't been watching the HC, or at least Llanelli and Ulster in it. In that case they're freshest memory of Best is him smashing Waugh & co. and being named in world XVs, and their memory of Easterby is...well...not that anyway :)

There's simply no reason for believing there is any 'cause' for Best being on the bench other than form. Another rumour has started over on Planet Rugby: Best has been dropped because he's on steroids and the IRFU are afraid he'll be caught. Which doesn't make sense for a number of reasons but hey...

I doubt he is on steroids. He doesn't seem as muscular as a person on steroids would be. Granted he's not a guy who you would say is puny either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

daveirl wrote:

Do you mean it wouldn't bother you if a player took steroids ?

daveirl wrote:

Strange -- i see it as a form of cheating , i've no problem with players smokin a bit of weed for recreation , or taking remedies for illness or whatever , but taking drugs to improve performance or bulk or stamina is wrong and borders on cheating . Worrying as well as it could then leak down to the schools scene -- sure it exists , but so do many other things that are bad for you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

thebaz wrote:
    Strange -- i see it as a form of cheating , i've no problem with players smokin a bit of weed for recreation , or taking remedies for illness or whatever , but taking drugs to improve performance or bulk or stamina is wrong and borders on cheating . Worrying as well as it could then leak down to the schools scene -- sure it exists , but so do many other things that are bad for you !

Where draw the line though? Protein, creatine and millions of other products dramatically improve performance but are completely legal. Sure look at the likes of Lucozade sport and Powerade.

Gregan took caffeine tablets at Half-time to improve his stamina, is he a cheat? Or is that fair game because caffeine tablets are legal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Those are all legal and open to any player to use. Steriods are not (whether rightfully or not) so for some players to use its an advantage over players who aren't willing to break the rules.

But Baz's point was that "taking drugs to improve performance or bulk or stamina is wrong and borders on cheating".

I agree that any player found usuing them should be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

If you told Mccaw to stop cheating or face a 2 year ban he would and could.

Someone on steroids could stop taking them - they've already reaped the benefits though and will have those benefits going foward into future games.

Where draw the line though? Protein, creatine and millions of other products dramatically improve performance but are completely legal. Sure look at the likes of Lucozade sport and Powerade.

Gregan took caffeine tablets at Half-time to improve his stamina, is he a cheat? Or is that fair game because caffeine tablets are legal?

Where do you draw the line ?
    If you had a 16 year old son playing the game , would you approve of him taking steroids or caffeine tablets at half time ?

Caffeine in fact would make you jittery , and not great for passing , i just think any performance enhancing drugs legal or illegal should be eradicated from the game where possible !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If taking steroids means you have the edge physically over an opponent who isn't taking them that to me is cheating. I guess for most people winning, whether it be by fair or foul means, is all that matters.

thebaz wrote:
    Where do you draw the line ?
    If you had a 16 year old son playing the game , would you approve of him taking steroids or caffeine tablets at half time ?

Caffeine in fact would make you jittery , and not great for passing , i just think any performance enhancing drugs legal or illegal should be eradicated from the game where possible !

So protein and creatine should both be illegal? What about Lucoazade sport? Makes you last 33% longer! ;)

If i had a 16 year old son who took steriods at half time to improve his 2nd half performance i'd give him a slap for being stupid as to the effect of steroids, they wont do him any good at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

This has gone horribly off topic, caff tabs could also heighten awareness, and make you more focused, it's not like Gregan was downing a couple of double expressos.

Best isn't starting because he's been crap for for two months, Eddie picks on form, and Easterby is playing amazing stuff now (and knowing the Welsh helps)

Advertisement